Recommend a first soap

Cheap can be good, but don't expect too many great scented products at the lower end - although scents don't last beyond the shave anyway. I like Speick, La Toja and Cella in the cheapies. But expensive soaps don't usually offer any better shaving over good quality cheapies like those, just a nicer ranges of scents.

That said, Arlington seems to ticks all the boxes, and is a quality citrus too.

JohnnyO said:
Don't believe you can go far wrong with Prof Blighty's Formula 31. Lathers well in almost any water, good dense protective lather with loads of slip. I prefer the glycerine version, but that's a matter of individual taste. I'd always be tempted to advise an artisan product such as Nanny, Sunbury or the aforementioned Prof B. Just because their products are so well made with gr8 quality control. As for scents, you can't go far wrong with any of range available from those 3 suppliers.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:
Ditto on that as well!
Jim

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful indeed!

Funny the Arlington was mentioned as I've recently been looking into it. Same goes to the Luxury hard soap.

Re MWF - I've heard it's quite hard to lather?

I sent the missus out to hunt for Palmolive today and she found some. My plan is to grate it into a ramekin (as I also have some left over from Gu puddings) ;). When she returned she mentioned there were loads of shave sticks in the same section at superdrug so I might have to hunt for more! Spieck sounds good too.

Now hunting for some profs, nannys and other sample pots!

Now hunting for some profs, nannys and other sample pots!

Prof B & "The Nan" both sell on Ebay, which may give an idea of the range available. However your best way is just to PM them &/0r Sunburyboy93 direct to get their views on what may suit you.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Test lathered the Palmolive stick (puck) last night and got a good lather, tried it for a shave this morning and had an awful shave - three small nicks and irritation on my jawline where I've just managed to get rid of it.

I'll give it another go though. The only difference between the test lather and shave lather was that when doing the former, I added a little warm water to the puck to soften it up 2 mins before lathering.

I quite like the smell too, my Dad must have used something similar as it's got that memory-triggering quality...

You have to try Arko at some stage. As some have said, it's got something of a Marmitey smell - some love it, some do not. Personally, I use it almost daily as the lather is simply immense with little to no effort and the smell is to me how this type of shaving should smell. For a couple of squid, it's worth a pop.

If you're buying from the Prof, be sure to add some of his aftershave balsam to your basket. It's undoubtedly the best ASB I've ever used and I cannot recommend it enough. It'll help you out when you slip up and dig a little too deep. He makes some fantastic products.

dantheman said:
Test lathered the Palmolive stick (puck) last night and got a good lather, tried it for a shave this morning and had an awful shave - three small nicks and irritation on my jawline where I've just managed to get rid of it.

I'll give it another go though. The only difference between the test lather and shave lather was that when doing the former, I added a little warm water to the puck to soften it up 2 mins before lathering.

I quite like the smell too, my Dad must have used something similar as it's got that memory-triggering quality...

Palmolive definitely needs the cake softened with water and heavily loading the brush - at least a minute of continuous swirling and, really, you could easily keep going for another 30 seconds to make sure.

L'Ocitane Cade soap - I've got others but this never comes out of the rotation and its got a very individual smell (and I don' t mean that in a bad way!)

Just don't get the Cream - its pants!

chrisbell said:
barlines said:
L'Ocitane Cade soap - I've got others but this never comes out of the rotation and its got a very individual smell (and I don' t mean that in a bad way!)

Agreed, though it's hardly cheap.

Just over a fiver a puck if you know where to shop - and its not stolen or anything! But then I spent the cash i'd saved on the cream :icon_sad:

barlines said:
chrisbell said:
barlines said:

Agreed, though it's hardly cheap.

Just over a fiver a puck if you know where to shop - and its not stolen or anything! But then I spent the cash i'd saved on the cream :icon_sad:

I presume it's not online. Their official shop selling the soap only for just over £13 including delivery (can get 7% cashback via topcashback too though)

Back
Top Bottom