Recommend a first soap

Hi guys,

As per title really! Can you recommend a good first soap?

Price isn't important. I'd prefer something that smells really nice so let me know your preferences!

Looking for something with good glide and not too temperamental when lathering.

Looking forward to the replies!

Dan

Not keen on menthol tbh. I quite like a bit of citrus but prefer it when it's hidden behind something like cedar, not sure if that helps?

I'm open to most scents, just nothing too 'old man' and nothing too 'teenagerish'. Something classy and masculine..?

I'd say go with Palmolive (or Arko or Tabac, but those scents're either love or hate - really), that way you'll get easy lathering and later you can pick out some high end soap (the scents are nicer). Or you could go for Nannys soaps, I love them and they're high end, but with a better price tag and better content than the high street soaps, if you ask me (and I got them all, I think ... well except one, but that's another story).

Also worth while: Martin de Candre and Provevence Santé

I prob forgotten about half a dozen soaps, so please chim in guys ... :D

Palmolive shave stick is great stuff but could possible edge in to the old man category. Something from Nanny's hard soap range should fit the bill. The two French soaps Mikael mentioned are excellent but you'd have to wait a while until they arrive. Also, the M de C is marvellous but very pricey so possibly not a good idea for your first.

Actually, choosing your first soap is rather like making your first sexual conquest. :s Ideally something quite cheap and easy to get hold of. :blush: You probably won't stick with it long term but it will start you on the journey of discovery. :icon_razz: And, as I said, something French and expensive could prove daunting... :angel:

I like Nanny's soaps and find the Hard(ish) ones the best.

but as a 1st soap I recommend buying 3 sticks of palmolive from Tesco or Asda at about 50p each. Keep one as a stick and grate the other 2 into a bowl and press it down firmly (I use a ramekin that came with a GU pudding) fragrance wise its "dull" but performance is excellent, try it as a stick and a bowl soap. Just one thing never try to melt any tallow soap into a bowl it doesn't work it cooks.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Just had a look at Nanny's soaps, think I'll order some of the 'splodge in a bag' samples.

On that note, are there any other 'sample packs' of soaps you all know about?

I was tempted by the Prov. Sante but I've heard really mixed reviews, so I passed that idea off a while ago.

I'll have to look around for the Palmolive sticks too!

If its super slide you want....Go for the grated palmolive in a bowl,with a blob of palmolive cream on top...Super soapy..and a nice clean soapy scent....and its cheap, don't know why for that quality of soap..........don't discount it because of its price...

I agree on Nanny's soaps....I've just used her Lime flavour this morning, the slide and lather of that is excellent.

dantheman said:
Thanks for the replies. :)

Just had a look at Nanny's soaps, think I'll order some of the 'splodge in a bag' samples.

On that note, are there any other 'sample packs' of soaps you all know about?

I was tempted by the Prov. Sante but I've heard really mixed reviews, so I passed that idea off a while ago.

I'll have to look around for the Palmolive sticks too!

Nanny's "splodges" are soft soaps as far as I'm aware - not so different from creams. She does sell hard soaps, though. PS soap is a bit of an unknown at present - they've changed the formula from the old "Verlaine" to a citrus version which has had mixed reviews. If you can get hold of any of the Verlaine version, try it; otherwise you'd be best-off opting for something else. Personally, I love L'Occitane Cade soap, but it's quite pricey even as a refill, and if you buy it in the metal dish you'll need to take out a second mortgage. I'd seriously go with a couple of sticks of Palmolive, grated or sliced into a dish and flattened - as was said, it's not a very interesting aroma, but it's a superb performer and will get you used to lathering soaps.

dantheman said:
Not keen on menthol tbh. I quite like a bit of citrus but prefer it when it's hidden behind something like cedar, not sure if that helps?

I'm open to most scents, just nothing too 'old man' and nothing too 'teenagerish'. Something classy and masculine..?

Well ignore Palmolive then... Try Arko, you can't go wrong with that. Best lather out there, and at a fantastic price. if the smell doesn't do it for you, try Cella or Valobra.
those three lather like beasts, and won't break the bank.

Valobra Stick
Speick Stick
Sir Irisch Moos Stick
Tabac Stick
Harris soaps, any of
MdC
Institut Karite
Mama Bears
Nannys
Prof's

Might as well get them in one hit as you will have acquired most of them by the end of the year.:icon_razz:

Don't believe you can go far wrong with Prof Blighty's Formula 31. Lathers well in almost any water, good dense protective lather with loads of slip. I prefer the glycerine version, but that's a matter of individual taste. I'd always be tempted to advise an artisan product such as Nanny, Sunbury or the aforementioned Prof B. Just because their products are so well made with gr8 quality control. As for scents, you can't go far wrong with any of range available from those 3 suppliers.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Start cheap...work up, ignore reviews and advice. Who knows what you'll end up liking especially with scent, I shouldn't like Verlaine PS but I do, smells like baby powder/lotion and it's not exactly lasting.

Back
Top Bottom