Really peed off...

Just got a call from my daughter who is going on holiday tomorrow, to say that her very expensive twin buggy has been nicked from the porch, and she is worried that it has been done by a neighbour who thinks they have already gone........
She and hubby are on low income, but forked out shed loads of cash for this baby transporter. I didn't like to say that it's a bit stupid to leave a valuable object in an unlocked porch.......they don't have insurance. God, some people are so low!! She and hubby really do a good job bringing up their children, all much loved and happy and secure.....which is more than can be said for many more affluent families......now they're terrified to go on holidy at the crack of dawn tomorrow morning. I've told them to load all portable easily transportable electrical goods into a large taxi, and get the stuff over here. He is saying they shouldn't go, she wants to go.......what should I tell them to do????

Nicking a baby's buggy, what utter bastards!

I would be more inclined to suspect (hope) that it was taken by some passing chancer rather than a neighbour but they really should get contents insurance.

soapalchemist said:
Jeltz said:
they really should get contents insurance.

I know, I know.....but when you're really skint, and the house is rarely unoccupied, it's not that simple........

P.S the porch faces to the side, not the front....and to the side are CONVICTED CRIMINALS!!!

Tell them to call the police. At least if something happens they'll have reported the first incident. Also PM Rangers62. He'll have a word on the grapevine. :D

o.k. She's called the police, and they're unplugging everything valuable and portable as I type. It's just so horrible, they spend month in month out with him working for peanuts and struggling along, and for her especially, it's the highlight of her 2 year period to go abroad, and now some t**t has caused all this grief, and they'lll be worried all the time they're away. And so will I .........

Even for a passing chancer, it's a pretty scummy thing to do. And those buggies cost a fortune. They're a pain to fold and unfold and often the wheels are dirty, so often it's more convenient to leave them outside the door (maybe on a bicycle chain next time). Twins are expensive enough, without having to fork out twice for a buggy.

Defo get the police involved. At least then it's recorded.

antdad said:
A classic case of your possessions owning you I'm afraid.

Get a grip or an alarm.

No, nicking a buggy from a porch is low. Just a shitty thing to do.

And something like that just before you go on holiday would be really unsettling.

Hopefully it wasn't the neighbours, just some pissed kids mucking around.

Makes me sad and angry though.

If you are a low income household, choose not have domestic insurance, do not trust the neighbours, purchase a very expensive buggy and then leave it in an unsecured area. What else is there to say?
SA's reaction is to assume everything else in the house is going to get nicked too because her daughter immediately suspects the neighbour who also somehow knows they are going on holiday.

It happens when you make a status purchase beyond your means. Their reaction to it is a true indicator of their value system as are your's Rev.

I don't think this is about status purchases here. As far as I'm concerned a status purchase comes in when you choose to buy a Bose sound system rather than Matsui. Tv, microwave, etc and they are basically every day items and the kind of thing people have as an every day item not a status symbol.

Pretty much all double buggys are very expensive BTW its just that some are even more expensive than others and while I agree that insurance would be sensible its a bit rum to say if you can't afford to lose it the you shouldn't have it!

I am assuming that the porch wasn't secure, so just by opening a door the buggy was accessable?

To get things from the house would involve breaking and entering (I would hope!) so not such an easy target for a passing ne'er-do-well.

I suspect that some kids just saw the buggy and went for it. Easy pickings, and a lesson to be learned.

antdad - Yes, there are lessons to be learned, but surely there are more pleasant ways to get the message across?

Ian

Back
Top Bottom