Rate The Last Film You Watched

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

This is my favourite of the Roger Moore Bond films. It's also one of the most action-packed of the series, and it has some superb action set-pieces. The theme song by Sheena Easton is also one of the best. Unfortunately, the rest of the music in the film is quite awful. John Barry was absent this time, so they got Bill Conti to score the film, and he did a terrible job of it. I later learned that he also did the music for Rocky, but the music here is completely inappropriate and out of place for a Bond film. Poor old Roger Moore is also starting to look his age here too as well, which stretches credibility a bit more. However, it is still a superb Bond film and one of the very best, in my opinion. I give it 9/10.

Dr. No (1962)

The first James Bond film, and therefore a landmark film. However, I have never really liked it. Watching it now, it becomes more obvious how incredibly dated and "of its time" this film is. Although it is a James Bond film, not much really happens, and there isn't a lot of action. Sean Connery is very good as James Bond, though, and Ursula Andress is certainly very easy on the eye. It just isn't for me, though. Sorry to any fans of this film, but I can only find it in myself to give this a low score. In my opinion, it is one of the weakest and less memorable Bond films. I give it 6/10.

From Russia With Love (1963)

This is the best Bond film of the 1960s, in my opinion. It has everything. It is a much better film than Dr. No and all of the 1960s Bond films that followed it. Sean Connery also seems more relaxed as James Bond in the film, and Robert Shaw's Red Grant is a memorable villain. It also has much better action set-pieces than Dr. No. This is the only Bond film from the 1960s that I still enjoy. I give it a solid 10/10.

You Only Live Twice (1967)

Here's a bizarre fact about this 1960s Bond film: Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay.

Personally, although watchable, this has never been one of my favourites. Sean Connery looks out of shape and bored stiff, the villains lack menace and I am not going to say much about the hokey 1960s SFX, either. Donald Pleasance's Blofeld is also a very camp and unscary pantomime villain. I also found all of the martial arts stuff rather tedious too. This was in my James Bond boxset, so I had to watch it of course, but I probably won't watch it again. I give it 7/10.

(Sorry to any fans of this film, but it just isn't for me)

The Phantom of the Open:

A wonderfully charming true story. On the lines of the Eddie the Eagle film, but with golf. I must admit, I have never heard this story before, and could not believe the story line. The worst professional golfer ever? I dont know - but I am a sucker for a British film :)

The Krays (1990)

I remember seeing this film for the first time at the cinema, back in 1990. I enjoyed it, so I then bought the VHS and then the DVD much later. I enjoy it much more than the more recent film about the Kray twins, Legend. The Kemp brothers play the parts of Ronnie and Reggie very well, with a lot less "comedy" than Tom Hardy did when he played them in Legend. The film also covers more of their lives than Legend did, and it is marginally more accurate than Legend too. I still have the film on DVD and I still watch it occasionally, as I did today. There is a lot to enjoy in this film for me. I give it the maximum score of 10/10.

The Krays (1990)

I remember seeing this film for the first time at the cinema, back in 1990. I enjoyed it, so I then bought the VHS and then the DVD much later. I enjoy it much more than the more recent film about the Kray twins, Legend. The Kemp brothers play the parts of Ronnie and Reggie very well, with a lot less "comedy" than Tom Hardy did when he played them in Legend. The film also covers more of their lives than Legend did, and it is marginally more accurate than Legend too. I still have the film on DVD and I still watch it occasionally, as I did today. There is a lot to enjoy in this film for me. I give it the maximum score of 10/10.
Funny how people see things, I thought this film was dreadful. The Kemp's were massively unconvincing. As for accuracy it depends who's version of events you want to take on board.
I thought the Tom hardy film was very good, and very believable. I read a newspaper article where some former associates of the krays were staggered by how well Tom hardy had nailed ron krays character.
Only my opinion though

Funny how people see things, I thought this film was dreadful. The Kemp's were massively unconvincing. As for accuracy it depends who's version of events you want to take on board.
I thought the Tom hardy film was very good, and very believable. I read a newspaper article where some former associates of the krays were staggered by how well Tom hardy had nailed ron krays character.
Only my opinion though
I think that the film does tend to cause very polarised opinions. Some people love it and others hate it. I thought that the Kemp brothers' portrayal of the Krays was very good, but that's just my humble opinion. You have to remember that they were fairly new to acting when they made the film, whereas Tom Hardy was already an established actor when he played the twins. So, I think it is not unreasonable to cut the Kemp brothers some slack.

I just didn't like the way that Hardy played the part of Ron, despite what others may think. I didn't like the one-liners, constant sex references, and how he portrayed Ron as some kind of bumbling comedy figure. I never met the Krays, but I have read and seen lots about them. I am pretty sure that Ron was not quite like that. I just feel that Hardy played him all wrong. That is my opinion, though.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I watched this again yesterday. I hadn't seen it in years. It's still a good film, and has some fantastic action sequences, but I had forgotten how poor George Lazenby was. He was more wooden than the fence in my back garden. Diana Rigg was good as Tracey, though, and Telly Savalas was a more "in your face" Blofeld than his predecessors were. The film was still too long, though, and could have done with some more rigorous editing. I give it 8/10.

Reactions: PHR
Thunderball (1965)

This has never been one of my favourites. The film is too dragged-out and the copious underwater scenes drag on and soon become tiresome. Claudine Auger and Luciana Paluzzi, the two Bond Girls, are both beautiful, though, and there is a great theme song from Tom Jones. I give it 6/10.

The Gray Man

like most movies overly far fetched but worth a watch nonetheless.
My wife recommended it and she’s never happy unless people are getting stabbed & murdered
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sitting in a hotel room my attention span isn’t the best but this was ok ish.
a good 6/10

The Gray Man

My wife recommended it and she’s never happy unless people are getting stabbed & murdered
a good 6/10
I watched this tonight, Jesus! Couldn't make head nor tail of it :D plenty of action in it, I must be getting old, it was very busy :D

Last edited:
The Gray Man

a good 6/10
Yes I agree, 6/10, lots of action but too much going on to make it as seamless as it should be, still enjoyable non the less! :)

Paul.

Goldfinger (1964)

Everyone seems to regard this as "the" Bond film of the 1960s, but I don't agree. Bond is held prisoner for most of the film and, as a consequence of that, there is very little action after the first half. However, Goldfinger and Oddjob are both good villains and Shirley Eaton is certainly very attractive, even though she isn't in it for long. The blaring title song by Shirley Bassey is also a classic Bond theme. I give it 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom