Rate The Last Film You Watched

The Living Daylights (1987)

This was Timothy Dalton's first Bond film. I know that a lot of people criticize him for his alleged lack of humour and irony, but I actually think this is a good thing. No one wanted a carbon copy of Roger Moore, and I know that I certainly didn't. Timothy Dalton was a breath of fresh air after some of the ridiculous Roger Moore Bond films, and he brought realism and humanity back to the role of James Bond. The film has some good action set-pieces, a good score by John Barry, and a superb theme song by Norwegian pop band A-ha. I didn't find the Bond Girl, played by Maryam D'Abo, particularly attractive, though, but maybe that's just me. This is still a very watchable Bond film, though, helped enormously by the casting of Timothy Dalton. I give it 7/10.

The Shining (1980)

Okay, I'm going to say it....I hate this film. I think that it is vastly over-rated, and I don't think that Jack Nicholson's "performance" in it is anything special. I actually thought that he was better in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Batman. I am fully aware that my opinion may be controversial, as I know that a lot of people like this film, but sadly I don't. I just think it's a typically weird Stanley Kubrick film, where hardly anything that makes sense happens, and nothing really exciting happens until the film is nearly over. Someone gave me a copy of the film on DVD, as they didn't want it anymore, and I watched it last night. I wish that I hadn't. I am going to have some stern words with that person when I see them again. I thought that this film was about as scary as Elton John's wig. Sorry, but no rating.

The Shining (1980)

Okay, I'm going to say it....I hate this film. I think that it is vastly over-rated, and I don't think that Jack Nicholson's "performance" in it is anything special. I actually thought that he was better in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Batman. I am fully aware that my opinion may be controversial, as I know that a lot of people like this film, but sadly I don't. I just think it's a typically weird Stanley Kubrick film, where hardly anything that makes sense happens, and nothing really exciting happens until the film is nearly over. Someone gave me a copy of the film on DVD, as they didn't want it anymore, and I watched it last night. I wish that I hadn't. I am going to have some stern words with that person when I see them again. I thought that this film was about as scary as Elton John's wig. Sorry, but no rating.
I think it's a fantastic film, I watched it on Netflix a little while ago and was sorry to see that the film had been cut in at least one place!
Horse's for course's, we can't all rate the same films! :)

The book is better than the film, as is nearly always the case.

Paul.

Last edited:
I think it's a fantastic film, I watched it on Netflix a little while ago and was sorry to se that the film had been cut in at least one place!
Horse's for course's, we can't all rate the same films! :)

The book is better than the film, as is nearly always the case.

Paul.

I couldn't turn the pages quickly enough and yet others thought Ho hum.

Same goes for the book The Stand by King, a page turner but the film was terrible.

As they say, the best movies are all in your mind.

Gosh I read The Stand probably maybe 5 years after it came out and I can remember a lot of it decades later, it made quite an impression on me at the time. I never saw the film, but I agree its rare a film is better than the 'movie in your mind' that you create when you read a decent book. Especially if you read the book first, as you have already created your perfect version and the film director with all the temporal, financial and casting constraints doesn't stand a chance!

Gosh I read The Stand probably maybe 5 years after it came out and I can remember a lot of it decades later, it made quite an impression on me at the time. I never saw the film, but I agree its rare a film is better than the 'movie in your mind' that you create when you read a decent book. Especially if you read the book first, as you have already created your perfect version and the film director with all the temporal, financial and casting constraints doesn't stand a chance!
The Stand was a fantastic read, may have to read it again!

Paul.

Salem's Lot (1979)

I think that I must be going through a "Stephen King film adaptation" phase at the moment, lol. I bought this on DVD a while back and watched it again last night. In my opinion, it is superb, and one of the best films that have ever been based on one of his novels. The DVD contains the complete mini-series, as originally shown back in the early 1980s, split into two parts. The vampire scenes gave me nightmares for weeks when I watched it years ago, and it's still an incredibly scary film even now. I challenge anyone to name a vampire film that is as scary as this. I thoroughly enjoyed it again, though it no longer gives me nightmares, lol. Stephen King film adaptations don't get any better than this. I give it a solid 10/10.

The Inbetweeners Movie 2 (2014)

I watched this film again on DVD last night. I hadn't seen it for years. I loved the series and the first film, but I just didn't like this and my opinion of it hadn't changed. It is essentially crude and filthy just for the sake of it and the plot is almost non-existent. My copy of this film will soon be on a one-way trip to the charity shop. Sorry to anyone who likes this film, but I just didn't enjoy it at all. No rating.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)

I remember first seeing this film at the cinema, back in 1981. I've watched it loads of times since then, and it still stands up well today. It's my favourite Spielberg film and one of my favourite films of the 1980s. It's also my favourite Harrison Ford character (I much preferred Indiana Jones to Star Wars). I loved it all over again, and I think that I will love this film until the day I die. 10/10 from me.

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (1984)

I remember first seeing this at the cinema back in 1984. Although I had previously seen Raiders Of The Lost Ark at the cinema also, this was the film that got me into Indiana Jones. I watched it for the umpteenth time on DVD yesterday. Unfortunately, this was the most heavily-cut Indiana Jones film of them all, and there is further editing on the DVD version. I did enjoy it again, but I was still very aware of the cut scenes, and the film is now an edited mess. The uncut version is, apparently, available on Blu-Ray, but I'm not made of money, lol. I give the film 7/10, which I think is very fair.

Back
Top Bottom