Professor Blighty

antdad said:
"Professor Blighty's Coconut & Almond Shaving Soap is hand blended for each customer after purchase, so it is unique to them, and there are no two tubs exactly alike. The soap has no artificial chemical content or preservatives whatsoever. It is made with wholly pure, natural ingredients, and we have yet to find anyone who has not been absolutely delighted with their purchase."

Nice bit of marketing fluff...

Hand blended - you mean you stirred the pot
No two tubs exactly alike - you forgot to write down the recipe
No artificial chemical content - I'm sure Titanium Dioxide is a genuine chemical

I really don't understand the reticence to publish a list of ingredients. A list of ingredients doesn't give away your formula - if it did, I'm sure Dr Henk would be churning out Martin de Candre by now. And I'm dumbfounded as to how you prepare soap after purchase... I thought soap took a while to cure unless dealing with a melt and pour type soap.

Given the vast quantity of excellent soap around, including our resident soapmakers here, I really won't be chancing my arm and my skin with these products. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here.

Vic Flange said:
antdad said:
"Professor Blighty's Coconut & Almond Shaving Soap is hand blended for each customer after purchase, so it is unique to them, and there are no two tubs exactly alike. The soap has no artificial chemical content or preservatives whatsoever. It is made with wholly pure, natural ingredients, and we have yet to find anyone who has not been absolutely delighted with their purchase."

Nice bit of marketing fluff...

Hand blended - you mean you stirred the pot
No two tubs exactly alike - you forgot to write down the recipe
No artificial chemical content - I'm sure Titanium Dioxide is a genuine chemical

I really don't understand the reticence to publish a list of ingredients. A list of ingredients doesn't give away your formula - if it did, I'm sure Dr Henk would be churning out Martin de Candre by now. And I'm dumbfounded as to how you prepare soap after purchase... I thought soap took a while to cure unless dealing with a melt and pour type soap.

Given the vast quantity of excellent soap around, including our resident soapmakers here, I really won't be chancing my arm and my skin with these products. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here.

Al ( prior link provided earlier ) does just the same when questioned about ingredients.

"Without obviously disclosing your trade secrets, what's in it?"
"Ingredients are of kosher grade..."

I have to admit however that I was foolhardy applying said product sans knowing what was in it. Thankfully, no adverse affects.

My understanding of the EU regs is that ingredients should be displayed 'at the point of sale'. They should be on the product if possible, but if that's not practicable, e.g. you're selling soap unwrapped, or the product is so small that you can't fit it on a label, then you can have a leaflet or some such on display at the point of sale.
I have always interpreted this as meaning that the ingredients should be on the selling website/ Ebay listing (as well as on/with the product itself when posted). Surely that is the point of sale?
However, if you look at soap of any sort on Ebay, I am in a small minority in listing the ingredients. Ditto, soap generally on the internet, including some well known high street sellers. The whole point of displaying the ingredients is so that people who react badly to specific ingredients can check whether they can buy a product with confidence. So by not doing so on the internet, you are only losing potential sales.
For me, part of what motivates me is the belief that people should be aware of what they are putting on their skin. How can anyone who wants to avoid certain ingredients, whether it is one that will send them into anaphalyctic shock, bring them out in a rash, aggravate a skin condition, or offend their ethics, buy a product that they don't know the ingredients of?
As for soap, and curing; cold process soap (most handmade bar soap) does need a few days , and the additional time (usually 4 weeks min) is to evaporate water so making the bar harder and less likely to dissolve overly easily. Hot process soap, made from natural oils and/or butters is ready to use more or less straight away. But, whether melt and pour (also ready within a day max), or hot process, you would need to be charging for an awful lot of work to make it a pot/bar at a time.
As for aftershave, I haven't ever made this, so can only hypothesise; but if it is mainly alcohol (very drying for skin), and a fragrance oil or essential oil, or blend of FOs/ EOs then if you had the blend make up in quantity, it might be feasible to make a bottle at a time. And if the scales used are accurate in very small amounts, then each bottle could be the same.......rather than unique. :?

quattrojames said:
After Shave Splash
Universal shaving tonic

I've not used this yet. Possibly a bit too sweet for me, but I'll withhold judgment until I've worn it.

I used this tonight, it went on well, but didn't have the astringent feeling of something like my OS Lime. After about 10 minutes though my face still felt tight which I don't usually get after any other AS, but this may have been down to the quantity applied. Nice smell, similar to the Dragon's Blood cologne. I'd recommend this.

soapalchemist said:
To be fair, I don't think it is a requirement to label free samples, and I don't label them. But Henk may correct me if I'm wrong about that.....in which case free samples will be much less likely to be forthcoming.......

Well, that depends whether the free samples are of things one individual makes for another individual, or samples of things that are otherwise peddled commercially (and commercially needs to be interpreted rather broadly here).

I concur with Ollie that anything that has 50% alcohol in it will be preserved and sterile. However, I also concur with HM that hydrosols, especially homebrew ones, are extremely susceptible to spoilage, so much so that there's ample opportunity for nasties to accumulate and remain present before the hydrosol is mixed with alcohol. In fact I don't believe you can work with hydrosols and maintain a claim of naturalness, since you absolutely need to preserve a hydrosol, and you need to preserve with a 'synthetic' product. You can most likely claim naturalness in a legal sense, since 'natural' is not legally defined and not legally protected, but not in a true sense.

Vic Flange said:
A list of ingredients doesn't give away your formula - if it did, I'm sure Dr Henk would be churning out Martin de Candre by now.

Ah, but the MdC ingredients list is wrong. I 'proved' that sometime ago by making a soap that was compatible with their ingredients list. And it was rubbish.

And I'm dumbfounded as to how you prepare soap after purchase... I thought soap took a while to cure unless dealing with a melt and pour type soap.

Err actually that 'curing' thing is mostly handwaving. A CP soap saponifies slowly, due to the low temperature at which it is produced, so it needs 24-48 hours to completely saponify. The rest of the 'curing' process is primarily drying - due to the low temperature of the process, most of the water needed to make lye will still be in the finished soap, and needs to evaporate before a useful product is obtained. With added investments, this could be achieved must faster, but then you'd have a true soap factory, and there would not be any need to use the cold process either. HP soap, which is basically just CP soap kept around the boiling point of the mixture, is about ready in an hour, and, due to heat and agitation, has lost most of its water. A HP soap is essentially ready for use in 1 or 2 days and can be used straight out of the pot.

True traditional soapmaking works differently still, since it is done with loads more water (and lye), i.e. a much higher water to oil ratio. So much so that much of the resulting soap will actually dissolve in the water. In this process, the soap is collected after salting out of the mother liquor, then repeatedly crutched, washed and dried. Added benefits are the glycerin stays in the water and can be isolated separately, and the resulting soap, without glycerin, will make a harder, more processable product.

soapalchemist said:
As for aftershave, I haven't ever made this, so can only hypothesise; but if it is mainly alcohol (very drying for skin), and a fragrance oil or essential oil, or blend of FOs/ EOs then if you had the blend make up in quantity, it might be feasible to make a bottle at a time. And if the scales used are accurate in very small amounts, then each bottle could be the same.......rather than unique. :?

AS can indeed easily be made to order, one bottle at a time. My scales are accurate to 0.01 gram, so my fragrances are pretty consistent too... Soaps need to be made by the batch. For any sort of consistency, a 500 g batch is probably the minimum. My batches are usually 1.5 kg. Now if you make cream soaps, you could scent each tub individually...

Back
Top Bottom