Professor Blighty

Not exactly - no mention of synthetic/natural...

Also on the hydrosols - are these hydrosols you're producing yourself? If you produce them yourself, what steps are you taking to ensure that they're sterile and remain so throughout production?

As I understand it "home made" hydrosols should be treated "fresh" - ie. they have a short finite shelf-life.

I'm sure you've looked into all this and adhere to all the relevant laws and regulations on limits on ingredients (natural or synthetic - it matters not on the origin, a toxin is a toxin whether it's free-trade knitted-yoghurt or the output of ICI) etc., because you wouldn't want anyone to end up with some sort of bacterial or fungal skin infection after using one of your products - but in my mind at least, it's vital to everyone's safety & confidence in your product that all can satisfy themselves of their own trust in your making process.

hunnymonster said:

Also on the hydrosols - are these hydrosols you're producing yourself? If you produce them yourself, what steps are you taking to ensure that they're sterile and remain so throughout production?

As I understand it "home made" hydrosols should be treated "fresh" - ie. they have a short finite shelf-life.

I'm sure you've looked into all this and adhere to all the relevant laws and regulations on limits on ingredients (natural or synthetic - it matters not on the origin, a toxin is a toxin whether it's free-trade knitted-yoghurt or the output of ICI) etc., because you wouldn't want anyone to end up with some sort of bacterial or fungal skin infection after using one of your products - but in my mind at least, it's vital to everyone's safety & confidence in your product that all can satisfy themselves of their own trust in your making process.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I have been making these products for a number of years before I came on here, and no-one has ever received a skin infection from anything I have sold them. I take the production process seriously, and the products are made with end user safety and satisfaction in mind. But I'm not getting into a debate on the production techniques, it has taken me a long time, a lot of effort and a considerable amount of money to achieve this quality of product.

I don't think HM is asking you to divulge any trade or production secrets, just whether your products adhere to the necessary regulations.

Edit: An ingredients list is another legal requirement btw.

I know nothing about chemistry but I would think anything with a 50%+ alcohol level is going to be sterile!

My communion wine is 22% - although I understand the silver chalice has disinfectant properties.

quattrojames said:
Cologne Splash
Dragons Blood

This is a nice scent, but quite sweet, I can't place what it smells of, can anyone help? Although I like it, personally I wouldn't want to smell 'of' it.

Just to help matters my wife has announced this as her favourite :roll:

Martin

I'm here as a potential customer - not an assassin. Favourable responses, generally speaking, lead to sales.

I don't doubt that it's taken a lot of time and effort to get to this point - I'm not asking for in depth answers revealing what the exact process you employ is, just answers to the questions rather than what appear to me to be purposely nebulous answers open to misinterpretation. That raises doubts in my mind.

As you're possibly aware, hydrosols are known to be excellent substrates for moulds, fungi & bacteria to grow in - hence the need for absolute sterility in producing and handling them - the fact that "no-one has ever received a skin infection from anything I have sold them" may suggest more about their immune systems than your product for example - because we're all covered in bacteria no matter what we do, it just happens that the body's defences keep it under control. The apparent secrecy you choose in your answer to this question further raises doubts in my mind.

You've avoided the synthetic/natural question completely - in all of the eBay listings for your products I've seen so far - and I admit I haven't looked exhaustively, there is prominent mention of "wholly pure, natural ingredients" on each one. This one should really be a simple yes/no - are all the ingredients you use naturally derived, or do you sometimes choose to use synthetic equivalents (as you intimated with musk, the natural is unobtainable at an economically viable price).

As you've possibly guessed, I've moved on from being a potential customer to being an unlikely customer - notwithstanding that, I wish you success in your business.

Hi Prof, thanks for the samples received today. I have just had a sniffing session with Mrs PC, and after that we tried the samples. :? It was a mixed bag, the scents we weren't so keen on were the Shaving Tonic, Olde Herbal and Blueberry. All smelled a bit too medicinal really. The nicest was Old Mulberry which Mrs PC said wasn't a sexy scent but would be good as an everyday cologne being quite masculine and old-fashioned. So that's the best one and I'll use it tomorrow too as there's enough in the bottle left. I haven't tried the pre-shave oil yet so will have a go next time I shave. That said, I'm not really a user of such things so I may not be a good judge.

I must agree with HM about the ingredients list. I am no expert, far from it, but I am sure that there are rules about this kind of thing. I know Sharon's had some fun and games labelling her products and making sure that the ingredients adhere to certain standards.

Thanks again! :D

To be fair, I don't think it is a requirement to label free samples, and I don't label them. But Henk may correct me if I'm wrong about that.....in which case free samples will be much less likely to be forthcoming.......

hunnymonster said:

Sorry, i got as far as 'Not exactly', then had to stop and get on to Wiki :?

It's this kind of discussion that reminds me why i tend to be wary of products advertised as 'artisan' & 'home-made' just like yer Granny used to make - not so handy if your Granny (like mine) was Sligo's answer to Lucrezia Borgia.

That said, I am quite anti-animal vivisection, there are perfectly good inmates in prison who would be far more suitable test subjects - a win-win situation for all.

quattrojames said:
Gentlemans Club

This is nice, orange, bergamot, rosewood and muget - I can definitely trace the orange in it, I've not worn this yet, but I would and would classify it as a nice traditional cologne.

Further to this, I wore this as a cologne after my shave tonight, at first the smell is too much it almost becomes a bit unpleasant. But after 5 minutes, probably less, on the skin it mellows down a lot and becomes quite nice. Orange is still the only thing I can smell, but that's probably down to my ignorance of the scent of other products!

Unless I just became immune to it it didn't seem to last very long though.

Dragon'sblood is intoxicating. I've a sample sent to me awhile back. You guys must be having a ball with the Musky scents. I've few around some overpowering than others.

hunnymonster said:
Martin

I'm here as a potential customer - not an assassin. Favourable responses, generally speaking, lead to sales.

I don't doubt that it's taken a lot of time and effort to get to this point - I'm not asking for in depth answers revealing what the exact process you employ is, just answers to the questions rather than what appear to me to be purposely nebulous answers open to misinterpretation. That raises doubts in my mind.

As you're possibly aware, hydrosols are known to be excellent substrates for moulds, fungi & bacteria to grow in - hence the need for absolute sterility in producing and handling them - the fact that "no-one has ever received a skin infection from anything I have sold them" may suggest more about their immune systems than your product for example - because we're all covered in bacteria no matter what we do, it just happens that the body's defences keep it under control. The apparent secrecy you choose in your answer to this question further raises doubts in my mind.

You've avoided the synthetic/natural question completely - in all of the eBay listings for your products I've seen so far - and I admit I haven't looked exhaustively, there is prominent mention of "wholly pure, natural ingredients" on each one. This one should really be a simple yes/no - are all the ingredients you use naturally derived, or do you sometimes choose to use synthetic equivalents (as you intimated with musk, the natural is unobtainable at an economically viable price).

As you've possibly guessed, I've moved on from being a potential customer to being an unlikely customer - notwithstanding that, I wish you success in your business.

Why are you being a hardass mate? Nah I jest couldn't agree with you more. Believe it or not I'm one of those people with sensitive skin. Despite that I would have probed and prodded till all answers sufficed. Call me inquisitive.

soapalchemist said:
To be fair, I don't think it is a requirement to label free samples, and I don't label them. But Henk may correct me if I'm wrong about that.....in which case free samples will be much less likely to be forthcoming.......

Awhile ago I spoke to 3 soapmakers ( 2 US and 1 from Europe ) and both informed me it's not necessary. I'll have to re-check with my friend from Europe.

Do you need liability insurance in the UK? In the US you do as far as commodity relating to skin and such. I'm curious how you go about it there. Thanks

Here's ONE. No ingredients posted whatsoever. Many have suggested to join other forums to appeal to wider market but instead remain exclusive at 1 shaving forum. How you get away selling health related item sans label is beyond me.

This is from PB's ebay shop...it's been queried before, one thing you really would demand from a shaving soap is consistency of product rather than pot luck and an ingredients list of course.

"Professor Blighty's Coconut & Almond Shaving Soap is hand blended for each customer after purchase, so it is unique to them, and there are no two tubs exactly alike. The soap has no artificial chemical content or preservatives whatsoever. It is made with wholly pure, natural ingredients, and we have yet to find anyone who has not been absolutely delighted with their purchase."

Back
Top Bottom