Professor Blighty

So . . . the very nice man sent me a sampler which arrived today.

First impressions: very speedy service. Slightly eccentric note - but not much more so than one might get from lots of other members here!

Seems to be a genuine artisan/amateur in best kitchen-sink tradition. Not quite as polished as Henk or Soapal offerings but clearly enthusiastic (A+ for effort).

So, the products themselves: a number of colognes, a similar number of aftershaves, a balm and a shaving oil.

As these arrived this morning and I was already groomed and pampered there's been no chance yet to actually try them but I thought you would be interested to see the sampler pack (bear it mind that this arrived the day after a Czech & Speake one: I'm knee deep in tiny bottles of coloured liquid; suffice to say the difference in presentation - and price - between the PB and C&S is about as wide as you'll find!)

So, here's the kit:

P9170011.jpg

P9170009.jpg

P.S. The stuff he has on Cyber boot seems pretty polished. These are only samples.
Also, not sure how you know how polished I am, given you've only had a splodge in a ziplock, which your wife thought was rubbish. :shock: :eek: :shock:

"Knee deep in tiny bottles of coloured liquid" ..................... Reminds me of a recent visit to the Sister at the Medical Centre. I bet your wee bottles are wayyy more pleasant to contemplate than her collection though.

JohnnyO. :D

Well, I've given a couple of these a go and I'm quite impressed.

The balm was too small a sample to really try but I think not for me - there's something strong in there (mint? menthol?) that's a bit too much for my delicate constitution.

The "Shaving Tonic" a/s was OK, not really my sort of thing but clearly a well-made product and decent performer.

Best of the bunch so far is the "Old Blueberry" cologne, which has a very contemporary, metrosexual smell: masculine but sweetish, almost unisex. Nice. Not too strong (sillage, as they called it on basenotes) but decent longevity. I like it.

More reviews to follow as I work though the sampler pack.

TTFN

Ollie

I'll add my review of the samples I got and update as I use them. I got five, not quite the haul Ollie did :lol:

My first impression when I opened the packet was of walking into an old Apothecary style shop in somewhere like Tintagel :ugeek: but that's not a bad thing! I found five phials containing:

Pre Shave Oil
Universal shaving oil

I used this yesterday, I don't usually use an oil and my previous experience has been Nuage menthol, which is ok, but from there on the whole shave is a menthol experience! I must admit that this is a very moisturising oil, and my face felt great afterwards. I wasn't brave enough to use it to shave with on it's own, but used it prior to my Monsavon. The trouble I have with oils is that everything from brush to sink gets all oily and needs a clean afterwards. It's a nice product but for those reason not one I would buy.

After Shave Splash
Universal shaving tonic

I've not used this yet. Possibly a bit too sweet for me, but I'll withhold judgment until I've worn it.

Cologne Splash
Dragons Blood

This is a nice scent, but quite sweet, I can't place what it smells of, can anyone help? Although I like it, personally I wouldn't want to smell 'of' it.

Gentlemans Club

This is nice, orange, bergamot, rosewood and muget - I can definitely trace the orange in it, I've not worn this yet, but I would and would classify it as a nice traditional cologne.

Primal Drive

Orange, vanilla, lavender, frankincense, myrrh in here, and the vanilla does it for me. My favourite one this, and as I'm a vanilla fan I would definitely buy this.

Ollie & James,

Thank you both very much for posting your thoughts on the samples, much appreciated.

James, Dragon's Blood has the following ingredients...

Neroli, Rosewood, Fennel, Lemongrass, Ylang Ylang, Black Pepper, Geranium, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Frankincense & Myrrh.

Once again many thanks,

Martin.

OK, I've tried the Dragon's Blood.

First off, the name: similar (!) to one used by Mama Bear (although her aftershaves are possibly the worst shaving product available; yuk yuk yuk!)

Now the colour: well, a vivid red. Yikes!

And finally the scent: complex, sweet and spicy - quite like joss-stick incense, the dry down is a pleasant subtle "warm" smell, not much sillage, decent longevity.

Not one for me personally but I can see it suiting others - and at these prices a nice addition to the winter collection, a warm, spicy and slightly sweet smell ideal for the colder months.

I'll try again...

Is that:

• a natural red colour present due to the constituent "wholly pure, natural ingredients" that need to be present or[/list:u]
    • a natural red colourant added specifically or [/list:u]
      • a synthetic red colourant added specifically (and I include in that anything described as "nature identical" - which is simply a marketing ruse aimed at artificially enhancing the appeal of a synthetic).[/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom