A few statistics:

Highest turnout 1950 -83.9%

Lowest 2001-59.4%

Biggest share of vote:

Labour 47.9% 1966

Tory 49.7% 1955

Lib 25.4 1983

Lowest support for winners of election:

Labour 2005 35.2% in a 61.2% turnout. Government elected by 21.6% of the electorate.

Most interesting?

1951 Lab 48.8% Tory 48.0% Lib 2.5%. Tory government.

2010?

Very interesting stats Fido.

I feel that we could see some historic events unfold in the near future. I suspect that the polls are correct and we shall have a hung parliament, and in order to form any kind of working government concessions about electoral reform, i.e. a referendum on proportional representation, will be made to secure the backing of the Lib Dems. When put to the public I feel that the British sense of fairness will carry PR into existence and result in no one part being able to secure a commons majority within foreseeable future.

I think the culture of Punch and Judy politics is far too entrenched in our politicians and currently I don't think they can be trusted to act like grown ups and work together rather than just objecting to whatever "that other lot" said. As such its not a scenario I relish, in the current economic climate I think we need firm decisive leadership and I would rather see my preferred party loose to a good majority than have several parties run a coalition or minority government.

I don't think our politicians have a clue about how to behave as most people wish they would. They seem to have contempt for each other. And not just the politicians of other parties.

There is no way that the Tories or Labour will agree to a system that will lead to permanent coalitions.

I'm relaxed about the outcome. It's unlikely that any arrangement will last long and we will be doing it all again in a few months. But one never knows!

"Interesting" in the last major country-threatening crisis that there was a "Grand Coalition" government. It seemed to work reasonably well then. The "enemy" this time isn't as clearly defined as it was then, but the threat is as great, if not greater.

Queer bedfellows have come about in coalition governments in other countries - CDU & SPD in Germany is an obvious one. Usually it's the CDU or SPD with the FDP...

Oh to have an economy as screwed as Germany!

Nigel Farage's last minute attempt to get the sympathy vote for UKIP seems to have failed.

"He's got two broken ribs, a small chip to his spine and damage to his sternum."

I'd be happy to walk away from a plane crash with that.

cheese_dave said:
Nigel Farage's last minute attempt to get the sympathy vote for UKIP seems to have failed.

"He's got two broken ribs, a small chip to his spine and damage to his sternum."

I'd be happy to walk away from a plane crash with that.

Bloody hell. lol.

Just heard an interview with Paddy Ashdown:

"Disappointing night for the Lib Dems?"
"Yes."

I nearly crashed the car, a politician telling the truth???

Fido said:
I don't think our politicians have a clue about how to behave as most people wish they would. They seem to have contempt for each other. And not just the politicians of other parties.

There is no way that the Tories or Labour will agree to a system that will lead to permanent coalitions.

I'm relaxed about the outcome. It's unlikely that any arrangement will last long and we will be doing it all again in a few months. But one never knows!

I am personally utterly astonished that the majority of the British electorate did what they always have done, i.e vote for the usual suspects ! I was rather hoping we would see increased support for a couple of the minority parties. For example, I would have liked to have seen a dozen or so UKIP and BNP MP's present in the new parliament! Instead, when the dust has settled on this latest debacle, everything will be more or less the same! Well, we get what we deserve is what I say. At this election, the British public had a really good opportunity to demonstrate dis-approval at the cynical way we are treated by successive governments with regard to Sleaze, Greedy MP's, money wasting Quangoes,Broken promises, etc.. etc.. AND WE BLEW IT !! I can not ,for the life of me, see us getting another chance like this any day soon! :x

spandex..

spandexcodpiece said:
I was rather hoping we would see increased support for a couple of the minority parties. For example, I would have liked to have seen a dozen or so UKIP and BNP MP's present in the new parliament!

:shock:

:cry:

(words fail me)

Personally i think this guy had an awful lot to say ....

article-1273207230403-0976CD65000005DC-970793_636x376.jpg

Hell, he even has a good music video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8cUDbpZbZM&feature=channel[/youtube]

Well...... not so much good, but at least he has one.
when was the last time Gordon Brown or David Cameron made a Dance video eh?

Exactly.

Pig Cat said:
spandexcodpiece said:
I was rather hoping we would see increased support for a couple of the minority parties. For example, I would have liked to have seen a dozen or so UKIP and BNP MP's present in the new parliament!

(words fail me)

I think the point that Spandex was making is that due to the skewed political system we have currently, the HoP are not a true representation of the electorates wishes.

If enough people propotionally vote for the BNP, Communists or Monster Raving Loonies, who is to say they should be denied representation?

The answer is quite simply , no one.

Any other answer means that we might as well have a dictatorship of one party - one vote. Which if you haven't noticed is just about where we are now, due to convergence: the middle, safe, beige, oooh don't upset anyone, new idea's - no thanks, diet coke, light beer, centre of a great big political turd! :|

Pig Cat said:
spandexcodpiece said:

(words fail me)

They don't fail me :p

I cant see that a single issue party would contribute much at the moment even though I would like to see more debate about our involvement in Europe, and the BNP are IMHO a bunch of fascists thugs in suits with some strange views, not the kind of people I want to see down the pub let alone in parliament.

Back
Top Bottom