Pipe smoking

Vinny, if I were you, i'd definitely hoarde them. Keep 'em sealed and in good nick and you'll be able to "recoup your investment" if you casually drop them into conversation on a smoker's forum. Orlik basically reproduce Dunhill's Navy Rolls but I know smoker's and the collector's will crave only the Dunhill branded rolls. Plus, Orlik may be discontinuing their rolls soon so if you hang on to the Dunny's for a couple of years you may double your market.

Obviously i'm not encouraging you to become a tobacco smuggler. Just.... y'know.

>Jim

I'm not sure how these have been stored but when I opened the tin a lot of the discs seemed fused together so I now have about a dozen discs and a load of strands.

Bad sign?

joe mcclaine said:
>Jim

I'm not sure how these have been stored but when I opened the tin a lot of the discs seemed fused together so I now have about a dozen discs and a load of strands.

Bad sign?

Not at all.
These rolls are sliced from a solid sausage shaped plug and naturally adhere together during storage.
If they did not it would mean they had dried out..
However, (sigh) if you want me to test them for you....

>Anthony,

That's good news.

They felt almost 'sticky' to the touch when breaking them appart.

He also has a huge collection of snuff including some SP100 (about 100 tiny oblong tins of) but the cellophane wrappers on those are a bit brown so I'm guessing they might not have been stored too well, or have gone past their best.

Final question
If tobacco costs about £4.50 per 25g. How much does that work out per pipe smoked? Assume three pinches. (Gosh I almost sound like a pro. Honestly, I've never smoked. too much youtube).

Sorry for not replying, Vinny. I've been busy lately. The tacky feel is spot on for a freshly opened pouch or tin. It just means they have been stored correctly and as airtight as possible. If you're going to spark some up, I would let it dry out slightly, as wet tobacco will cause nothing but pipe gurgle, and it's not especially representative of the tobacco's flavour.

As for the cost-per-bowl ratio... Unless you have a stupidly large bowl (or a very small bowl - not as stupid IMO), you can get anywhere between 10 and 15 bowls from a 25g pouch. Vintage or uber-premium baccy notwithstanding, around 50p a bowl seems about right. Obviously, scummy baccy = 30p-ish a bowl; vintage Dunhill and some other stuff like vintage Frog Morton imported from a vault in the States = far too much a bowl. More expensive than ciggies, but as I say - it's ninety minutes of pleasure rather than 5, and you probably won't want to smoke 20 bowls a day unless you have Herculean lungs and/or never sleep. When i'm piping full-time, I get through about 50g a month, tops. And that's including the odd bowl I never finish/have to dump.

As for the post-wedlock shizzle... I'll let you know. If my internet usage peaks, you'll know why :lol: .

Back
Top Bottom