Pipe smoking

I've decided that pipe smoking and wet shaving are similar in many ways. Might I add at this point that I've never smoked in my life.
Fiddling around with instruments that are effective, old and shunned by the modern man. Using products which are superior to what everyone else uses. There is something relaxing and satifying about shaving with all of the pomp and ceremony and I'm sure the same must be true of smoking a pipe.
If pipe tobacco wasn't so expensive and if pipe smoking was somewhat healthier than it actually is I would seriously consider taking it up. I appreciate its a lot healthier than cigarettes, but a lot unhealthier than the fresh air I'm currently inhaling.
Maybe when I'm about 80 I may take it up. Won't make much difference then.

Question: Are there any other hobbies out there that fall into the same satisfaction category as pipe smoking and wet shaving?

I don't think anything really goes hand in hand with shaving but there are some areas that seem to interest traditional shavers - judging by posts on other forums.

Cigars & Pipes.
Malt Whisky.
Rare Tea.
Coffee.

Generally, there is an assumption that traditional shavers have an appreciation of "The finer things in life" like Turnbull & Asser shirts, vintage Omega and Rolex watches, listening to classical music and eating in fine restaurants.

Not me though.

joe mcclaine said:
Generally, there is an assumption that traditional shavers have an appreciation of "The finer things in life" like Turnbull & Asser shirts, vintage Omega and Rolex watches, listening to classical music and eating in fine restaurants.
Flatfish - pipe smokers do not inhale!
We pipe smokers, being cultivated and reflective people (as well as being rather up ourselves) do tend to appreciate the finer things.
I think of myself as a pipe-smoking wetshaver rather than the reverse because I only shave once or twice (if I am going out) a day whereas I smoke a pipe several times a day.
All and any pleasures that take time and effort to cultivate are always more satisfactory that any instant gratification.

I've posted this on another site
Does this appeal?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1RhP87ABo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1RhP87ABo</a><!-- m -->

Fountain pens and the such like seem very popular amongst gents, i sell a lot of these and there is discussions about such things on the wet shaving forums.

joe mcclaine said:

Not me though.

Good man! :D

I have enjoyed strolls down Jermyn Street to buy shirts (Hawes & Curtis as opposed to T&A) as well as a tube or two of shaving cream. But as I get older I am starting to think more seriously about that phrase 'the finer things in life'. Sometimes the people who use it actually do enjoy their wine, cheese, pipe tobacco etc, can talk knowledgeably and interestingly about their pursuit, and I think that is great.

Sometimes though it is snobbery, one-upmanship and pretension on the part of boring, boorish @rse-wipes. Recently had a conversation with a chap who boasted that he never ordered wine in a restaurant if it was less than £60 a bottle. I made a mental note and moved on.

Finer things in life? One would be a friend who sticks by you no matter what and when the chips are down can say something that will crack you up with laughter.

I'd like to try a pipe someday, but there is a lot of gear to get and I have not a clue how to use it!

Oh talking of Real Ale Olie, Ive put my name down to learn how to brew real ale in a microbrewery that is being set up in emsworth..

rather looking forward to it.

Now *that* sounds good.

I think we need a TSR party sometime in the new year - I can host it if you like (middle of England, equidistant to all parts); do we fancy roughing it in the church or getting a decent discount on a local hotel (my dad works in the trade and could wangle us a good group / conference rate).

How about it?

That sounds like a grand idea, two words of warning Olie if it does go ahead can i make two words of advice, ensure the communial wine is in the safe, and that the font is empty.. I can only imagine everyone clambering to try shaving with holy water!

joe mcclaine said:
Cigars & Pipes. I don't fancy oral cancer thank you.
Malt Whisky. Love the idea of this but to me it tastes like p*ss
Rare Tea. Well I drink tea very rarely...
Coffee. Cream and sugar please! I think this might detract from the flavour of esoteric beans.

Not me though.
:lol:

A lot of these 'finer' pursuits seem to me to be for chaps with too much money and time on their hands. ;) I generally appreciate classical music but don't listen to it much. The one thing from Joe's list above I would love more of is those fine-dining restaurants. Not for the pampering or the kudos of being there, but simply the delicious food! :hungrig

What I do find wonderful about the traditional shavers on this site is that everyone gets along, has a laugh and is generally very good-natured. No one is trying too hard to be a 'gentleman' and when talk does come around to 'finer pursuits' there is no hint of snobbery either.

:D :D :D

PS Just realised that I have actually shown an element of inverse-snobbery in this post. Oops, sorry! :oops:

That does sound great! But no one is going to get me smoking a pipe! :x

(Did too much of that as a student!!)[/quote]

Maybe you should try one loaded with tobacco. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom