Pipe smoking

Pig Cat said:
That does sound great! But no one is going to get me smoking a pipe! :x

(Did too much of that as a student!!)

Back in the day, we'd made some <cough> special <cough> flapjacks... when one of the guys (who was the only one of the 8 of us to show any religious leanings at all) in the flat was visited by the local Methodist <consults Wikipedia for the terminology> minister and wanting to be the genial host, made him a cup of tea and popped a flapjack (without asking if he could have one I might add...) on a plate for him.

We were crapping ourselves laughing at the post flapjack effects on the minister - even more so when our flatmate started to get irate with us for not telling him about the content of the flapjack, when he'd stolen it - he never took anything else ever again - just in case :lol:

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
That does sound great! But no one is going to get me smoking a pipe! :x

(Did too much of that as a student!!)

Back in the day, we'd made some <cough> special <cough> flapjacks... when one of the guys (who was the only one of the 8 of us to show any religious leanings at all) in the flat was visited by the local Methodist <consults Wikipedia for the terminology> minister and wanting to be the genial host, made him a cup of tea and popped a flapjack (without asking if he could have one I might add...) on a plate for him.

We were crapping ourselves laughing at the post flapjack effects on the minister - even more so when our flatmate started to get irate with us for not telling him about the content of the flapjack, when he'd stolen it - he never took anything else ever again - just in case :lol:

My word, thats terrible... :lol: :lol:

Its amazing how quickly we go on a tommy tangent.
What blade to babes with machine guns in ten posts or something like that.

Back to the subject.
How does herbal tobacco compare with real pipe tobacco? Also how does it compare price wise? Does anybody know?

Unless it's radically improved in the last 15 years i's horrible, don't bother.

I really want someone to make a healthy (or least neutral) tobacco - surely Henk could devise a GM version that actaully put a few vitamins and minerals into the body, at best like an apple at worst like a cup of tea. I'd smoke all day every day if they did.

Flatfish said:
Question: Are there any other hobbies out there that fall into the same satisfaction category as pipe smoking and wet shaving?

Satisfying? I couldn't tell you. OT? Probably. But the Zen-centric Japanese tea-making ceremony (see link) reflects some of the ritual of wetshaving...Charles Roberts style.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ifood.tv/video/japanese_tea_ceremony" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ifood.tv/video/japanese_tea_ceremony</a><!-- m -->

I don't think there's a safe way to enjoy tobacco - any tobacco. Unless you just enjoy the smell of well-fermented and perfumed tobacco in it's 'raw' state. There's the nicotine, which is actually one of the meaner alkaloids out there, which can be administered in different ways (chewing, pyrolysis (= smoking), etc.). Then there is all of the added baddies from the pyrolysis process (smoking, remember), such as carbon monoxide, tar, other carcinogens.

I quit smoking cigars and the occasional pipe about 5 years ago (gave up cigarettes/rolling tobacco about 25 years before that), cold turkey style, and the only think I miss is the contemplative nature of the enjoyment of a good cigar...

Oh, and getting a really good tobacco perfume is apparently almost as difficult as creating a really good leather scent...

Henk

When I used to smoke I loved a Hookah, a bubble pipe not a Geordie hooker :roll: with shisha, flavoured tabacco not dope. :roll:

It was like smoking a desert, custard had a tendency to clog up the pipes though.

Oh...I do miss my days of a good nicotine delivery system.

Rev-O said:
Unless it's radically improved in the last 15 years i's horrible, don't bother.

I really want someone to make a healthy (or least neutral) tobacco - surely Henk could devise a GM version that actaully put a few vitamins and minerals into the body, at best like an apple at worst like a cup of tea. I'd smoke all day every day if they did.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk/shop/Default.asp?shop=kits&item_name=Micro_E.Pipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co.uk ... cro_E.Pipe</a><!-- m -->

im looking at getting the ciggy kit myself

That looks quire good.

At the moment I smoke roll ups (I started when I got ill in June).

I got through 50 cigarette papers from June to October inclusive, at one paper per fag (I'm no monster spliff builder - well, not any more) so 50 cigarettes in 150 days is one every three days.

Seems a manageable habit.

Rev-O said:
That looks quire good.

At the moment I smoke roll ups (I started when I got ill in June).

I got through 50 cigarette papers from June to October inclusive, at one paper per fag (I'm no monster spliff builder - well, not any more) so 50 cigarettes in 150 days is one every three days.

Seems a manageable habit.

As a 20-a-day bloke, I can't imagine doing 1 every 3 days. What do you get from it Rev? It can't be the nicotine hit, surely, otherwise you'd be puffing away constantly like the rest of us addicts.

The old man R.I.P had a rolly stuck to his bottom lip for most of the day, lighting every hour or so to get a hit. Occasionally it seemed to graft itself permanently to his skin, I could not tell lip from paper but it did prove useful when I honing my micro surgery techniques.

I smoke a pipe when I have the time to really enjoy it, which is getting a little rare these days. I started when I was a student to save money (i've smoked cigarettes for years), but I never did it in public because people tend to think that a pipesmoker of my age = pretentious idiot. 99% of the time, I would say they're right.
I, however, do love a good pipe. I have tended to lean more towards cigars of late as I smoke petit corona's mainly, and that's only 30 minutes of heaven compared to 90 minutes for a decent bowl. Sadly for me, I still smoke cigarettes often - they're convenient and disgusting, and i'll quit them after my wedding.

As for the herbal baccy - tried the Holland & Barrett baccy and ready-rolled relatively recently. It is cheaper. It's bloody awful, though.

Found a local paper shop selling Dunhill Navy Rolls Deluxe (pipe) tobacco.

Might go and clear their shelves - Dunhill isn't produced any more.

Back
Top Bottom