Pipe Smokers

I'd like to try the pipe. I've never smoked and probably never will. Wife is very much opposed.

I'd like to try the pipe. I've never smoked and probably never will. Wife is very much opposed.

Helveticum offered us a sook of his pipe round the back of Bar Brel in Ashton Lane, Glasgow. We left quite sharply :D

Flatfish said:
Use women's weapons against your wife and ask her if she loves you and if she wants to see you happy? Then say you wanna smoke a pipe and that if she loves you she shall let you smoke it :D

Smoking used to be a lovely affair at one point of time.
But now with all the no smoking bullshit around there is no enjoyment in it.

How can you enjoy a nice cigar or cigerrette or a pipe when your drink is indoors inside a warm room and you are stuck outside in the freezing cold.

I have quit now for almost 11 months and all these new more and more absurd laws just makes me happy that I quit at the right time

I like the occasional whiff of a pipe. Something that's a bit rare these days.

I like the idea of smoking one. It strikes me as being rather meditative.

If it wasn't for the health risks, I may well have been a pipe smoker.

Ian

There's nothing cooler than being able to point at something / someone with the thin end of a pipe.

shamreez said:
How can you enjoy a nice cigar or cigerrette or a pipe when your drink is indoors inside a warm room and you are stuck outside in the freezing cold.

Equally, how can I enjoy my drink when smoke is stinging my eyes and making my clothes stink ;)

Father Ted said:
Falcon straight (Billiard bowl). Varies, but I shy towards the shops own blend mostly at under £6 for 1oz.
This month its blueberry.

Shhhhhhh, the missus doesnt know - I do it whilst walking.

No kidding Teddy,

I didn't know you smoked a pipe. Looks like you prefer an aromatic? That's where I've been at for a while now, although I've tried a bunch of traditional unflavored tobaccos as well. There's a guy I buy my favorite blend from who's not far from me, although the shop is on it's way out now.....sigh. Heh, I often think about smoking my pipe, but rarely ever do for some reason.

Maybe a couple years ago I decided to spend time on the whole pipe thing and learn the right way. Spent maybe three months, which ended up with me not quite getting the deal. Got lots of info and tried a bunch of things, but it didn't grab me.

I did however, coincidentally happen to find a bunch of quite nice pipes at various state sales. Yeah, it was nuts there for a while. Some were old (60-70 years) well respected makers Like Comoy and Charatan, both being in unused condition. There were other good pipes very very slightly used as well, and the ones in near new condition are easy to clean up. All of these were extremely reasonably priced, usually under $15 each. Plus at that time I actually knew what to look for. Pretty crazy how those pipes just kept showing up.

Yeah, that was one rabbit hole I climbed outta, shook myself off and went on my way.

Martin

Pics are an Old Comoy very dark cherrywood finish (I forget the grade) from the 1930s and the other's a pre Lane Charatan Deluxe grade from around the 40s or maybe 50s. Can't bring myself to use either of em because they're in too gooda shape. Sheeeesh.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Charatan 1&2 001 (Small).jpg
    Charatan 1&2 001 (Small).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Charatan bowl (Small).jpg
    Charatan bowl (Small).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 20
quattrojames said:
shamreez said:

Equally, how can I enjoy my drink when smoke is stinging my eyes and making my clothes stink ;)

Well thats why I quit and your avatar is still smoking :D

Re: RE: Pipe Smokers

IanM said:
I like the idea of smoking one. It strikes me as being rather meditative.

That was what I thought until I was out this afternoon trying to get the bastard lit for the first time while the wind enjoyed blowing out my matches.

I did enjoy it once I got it going, much as I would a cigar, but how much of that was satisfaction at having finally got it going is hard to say...

joe mcclaine said:
There's nothing cooler than being able to point at something / someone with the thin end of a pipe.

I once saw/heard somebody say that you cannot give directions to a person properly without using your pipe to point.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom