Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements

I should also note, though I dislike the advertising aspect I try to make it fun. And I am quite passionate about the world building we have done over the years and the ongoing story/saga; Different characters coming and going, anagrams, codes, other easter eggs, etc...even wrote Ebooks and a Softcover! Our labels and ads are portals/windows into this universe! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm ok with that. Just want to point out we do work really hard and this isn't just some hustle, I really pour my soul and creativity into this. Also, I don't exploit wet shavers, hell I am a wet shaver and collector first! Again, this is my passion and I am always happy to help and educate where I can.

This is the more interesting stuff (I think) we do, and wish would be talked about instead...but sensationalism and negative news always wins out.
You do take this element to another level, I find it fun and engaging, and the amount of work that goes in is obvious.
I say it’s time to move on, and put your time into getting more soaps, balms and splashes into the UK/EU market! You are one of the best for making matching sets, of soap, splashes, balms, shampoo, you name it, you make it. I like that and the collector in me wants to buy it more easily!

I regret nothing! Until @globalm or @Tony'schin ban me, I'll continue to offload my unwanted tat on all of you!!

Anyway, I'm branching out. Got this. Just need to work out how to get the bit that says Cottage Cheese to read Shaving Soap then I'm going to flog it to you mugs as a swish alternative to MWF.

20230605_173149.jpg

Remember folks, you can buy happiness at Boycie's Used Soap Emporium

History​

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has a long (infamous) history in the artisan soap making world. The company started as How to Grow a Moustache in 2013 and is owned by Erik Hodges. Erik Hodges advertises heavily and offers free soap products to reviewers in exchange for glowing remarks. (Source Video #1) New shavers frequently find his products and don’t realize the historical and ongoing extent of Erik’s unscrupulous business practices.

Not my words, but start of a Reddit article. https://www.reddit.com/r/Wetshaving/wiki/artisanwiki/paa/

I haven't, and wouldn't buy any PAA items after reading the article. It's up to you whether or not you do, but it is good to be informed.
There's a few of us around that were around during the PPF/HTGAM scandal, including me.

They've kept their nose squeaky clean since they started PAA. Everything in that article before PAA started is absolutely true. Everything after PAA started is either coincidence or hearsay. That isn't to say it's not true, it very well could be. Might not be either.

I tend to think it's more of an unfortunate coincidence.

PAA is and has been under a microscope for years. As you can see from this thread, they are still in damage control mode. Put the right spin on it, deflect, etc.

They've joined a select group of shave related businesses that have shot themselves in the foot, spectacularly and publicly:

The Superior Shave
Razor Emporium
The Holy Black
Paradigm
Weber

Most of it can be ascribed to 'new business' woes, and just not knowing how a business ought to be run. Should they be 'blacklisted' or 'boycotted?' 10 years ago, I probably would have said "aye."

In today's world, with their sins in the past, I say let sleeping dogs lie. The less owners of the companies in question interact with these kinds of threads, the better for the company being discussed. There is no way to come across as anything but defensive, and it's not a good look.

I've said my piece. Moving on.

I've heard about the PAA issues, some of the Paradigm, but the rest I'm clueless about! Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but that's not to say right and proper.
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. That's been covered.

The Superior Shave. The owner embraced convex honing, and then was such a condescending ass in debates that he got himself booted from most forums, and blacklisted by a lot of folks. I actually do sympathize with the owner here.

Razor Emporium. Sent replated razors back to the wrong people, not a terrible mistake, unless it's grandpa's razor. Ended up splitting the business with his partner and took up sole responsibility. Hasn't been any issues since.

The Holy Black. Shut down the site for mental health reasons, didn't ship or refund current orders. Eventually restarted, but I don't know as everyone who ordered stuff ever got reimbursed.
Edit: correction, the site remained open, but orders were not filled or shipped. Looking into it, it appears the owner has made an effort to reimburse everyone involved.

Paradigm. Debacle with Bullgoose. Bullgoose paid for razors... Didn't receive razors.

Weber. Warped razor heads. It was a fairly big deal at the time.

Last edited:
There's a few of us around that were around during the PPF/HTGAM scandal, including me.

They've kept their nose squeaky clean since they started PAA. Everything in that article before PAA started is absolutely true. Everything after PAA started is either coincidence or hearsay. That isn't to say it's not true, it very well could be. Might not be either.

I tend to think it's more of an unfortunate coincidence.

PAA is and has been under a microscope for years. As you can see from this thread, they are still in damage control mode. Put the right spin on it, deflect, etc.

They've joined a select group of shave related businesses that have shot themselves in the foot, spectacularly and publicly:

The Superior Shave
Razor Emporium
The Holy Black
Paradigm
Weber

Most of it can be ascribed to 'new business' woes, and just not knowing how a business ought to be run. Should they be 'blacklisted' or 'boycotted?' 10 years ago, I probably would have said "aye."

In today's world, with their sins in the past, I say let sleeping dogs lie. The less owners of the companies in question interact with these kinds of threads, the better for the company being discussed. There is no way to come across as anything but defensive, and it's not a good look.

I've said my piece. Moving on.
Would respectfully disagree with the point that owners of companies shouldn’t interact with these kinds of threads, as it otherwise damages their reputation and business. Personally have a lot of respect for Douglas from PAA coming on here to explain things from his perspective and answer any queries and concerns that people have, as well as take the flak. That takes a lot of courage, and yes it’s damage limitation but also a way to demonstrate that, although there have been mistakes in the past, and errors of judgment, that was many years ago and lessons - I suspect hard lessons - have been learnt. It changed my perception of the situation, and I’m sure it’s changed other people’s perception of the situation too.

Back
Top Bottom