Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements

History​

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has a long (infamous) history in the artisan soap making world. The company started as How to Grow a Moustache in 2013 and is owned by Erik Hodges. Erik Hodges advertises heavily and offers free soap products to reviewers in exchange for glowing remarks. (Source Video #1) New shavers frequently find his products and don’t realize the historical and ongoing extent of Erik’s unscrupulous business practices.

Not my words, but start of a Reddit article. https://www.reddit.com/r/Wetshaving/wiki/artisanwiki/paa/

I haven't, and wouldn't buy any PAA items after reading the article. It's up to you whether or not you do, but it is good to be informed.

no
i’m not interested.
We shouldn’t be buying from Russia
we shouldn’t be buying from china we shouldn’t be buying from here there & the next place.
Where does it all end.
This is a shaving forum
politics should be left somewhere else
I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying, but the article states that he is dishonest about ingredients, the manufacturing process and rigged reviews. An interesting read. Knowledge is power.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying, but the article states that he is dishonest about ingredients, the manufacturing process and rigged reviews. An interesting read. Knowledge is power.
it’s just an article written by someone else who has an opinion.
i know there practices were flawed many years ago.
i know the guys a clown but they make some decent products.
I very much doubt he’d get a license these days if he was lying about ingredients in the states & in the uk, and the rest of Europe for that matter.
But as i say it’s a shaving forum first & foremost & PAA has been exhausted on here many times

I have read the whole thing before, I agree that he seems to have exhibited some dodgy practices in the past based on the content of that thread, but I don't have any first hand knowledge.

Personally I can't stand his method of advertising. The long and non-specific stories alluding to a scent (bugs the crap out of me that one seeing as I'm useless with scent descriptions even when it's straight forward) and the Fear of Missing Out button is pressed often, but everyone does that last one.

Like Mike said though the gear is decent, it performs well, lasts a long time and the scent strength is good. They're also one of the few that you can buy from directly in the states that have the ability to ship alcohol, that in itself is a massive selling point for me. I've got a chunk of stuff that I'll keep using and would consider buying more.

I can’t really see the point of posting this. As others have said, presumably you have products / services from other individuals and entities who have questionable practices. And have been criticised.

I use PAA products and this won’t stop me buying them. They are great performers.

Sorry if this is boring old news. I searched for PAA here and found nothing. That surprised me. I thought it would have been mentioned on Shave of the Day, at least.
Yeah it's an odd one, no idea why the search function doesn't work for PAA. I've used it a couple of times this year and I've seen a good few other entries as well so I know it's definitely there.

If people use their products and enjoy using them, I can't see the problem. If there are discrepancies with ingredients and that is a key selling point for people, then perhaps they would do well to move on to the next soap.

I am aware some (or one) sellers in the UK potentially selling soaps that aren't UK and EU Cosmetically Certified. Perhaps, many of those soaps sold would be certified, maybe not. I'll stick to buying those I know have been certified. PAA, is potentially one that hasn't been.

If people use their products and enjoy using them, I can't see the problem. If there are discrepancies with ingredients and that is a key selling point for people, then perhaps they would do well to move on to the next soap.

I am aware some (or one) sellers in the UK potentially selling soaps that aren't UK and EU Cosmetically Certified. Perhaps, many of those soaps sold would be certified, maybe not. I'll stick to buying those I know have been certified. PAA, is potentially one that hasn't been.
I appreciate your stance. My purpose was to inform, and not to guide people's buying habits.

I appreciate your stance. My purpose was to inform, and not to guide people's buying habits.
Fair enough. A while ago, a member was moaning about some sellers, selling soaps which aren't certified. That opened my eyes up and I stopped buying from the one seller I was aware of selling un certified soaps. PAA (as I mentioned) potential being one soap that hasn't been certified.

Back
Top Bottom