Closed Passaround : Merkur 45c COMPLETE

The 45C has arrived safely. Alas - too late for today's shave.
  • First impression was: someone has sent me an empty envelope. Under 25 grams all in. :p
  • Second impression: This is pretty. Very pretty. Especially the shiny marbling of the top cap.
  • Third impression: This razor is so light. Onto the scales: 14.9 grams without a blade.
    That is light. Easily the lightest DE razor I've come across. The Neo Gam is more than 50% heavier.
    Merkur's own travel razor the 933 is three times as heavy. This is the DE for you if you travel ultralight.
It's a pity I can't pair the handle with the R41 head anymore :D

Last edited:
First and last shave with the Merkur 45

As with all DE razors I try for the first time, I did my standard 4 pass WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG routine. The blade was my old favourite PolSilver, this one used for the second time. I've been using Speick soap grated from a stick all week and today was no exception.
This razor is light as a feather. Despite its rather curved head I had no problems finding the right angle. It is a mild razor in the sense that it won't bite you, but it is very efficient. The shave was effortless, easy, smooth, yet very thorough. I've got an extremely close BBS shave. Some mild razors struggle with the area just under my chin. Not this one. This shave was as close as those I had with the very aggressive R41. Dare I commit heresy and claim that it shaves as well as a Wolfman? I dare. And for a fraction of the price. And you can have one delivered tomorrow. This is one of the best razors I've had the pleasure to shave with. And it is a Merkur razor with a really nice finish :rolleyes:
Will it eventually break? Probably, but I think it will last quite a while if you treat it well. And it is just 20 quid if you look around. Buy another one if it breaks. I'm sure you'll get more than 20 quid worth of shaves and fun out of it.
Btw: Who decided to call it the 45C? Merkur call it the 90 45 030. Common practice seems to be to call razors for example 34C for the chrome version or 34G for the gold one. Shouldn't this be the 45B for Bakelite? Never mind.
This marvel goes straight onto my post spending hiatus wish list. You need to try it to believe it. I don't need any more shaves with it. There is nothing more to be learned. It gives the perfect shave. So I'll pass it on straight away.
PM to @mattyb240 on its way.

Last edited:
First and last shave with the Merkur 45

As with all DE razors I try for the first time, I did my standard 4 pass WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG routine. The blade was my old favourite PolSilver, this one used for the second time. I've been using Speick soap grated from a stick all week and today was no exception.
This razor is light as a feather. Despite its rather curved head I had no problems finding the right angle. It is a mild razor in the sense that it won't bite you, but it is very efficient. The shave was effortless, easy, smooth, yet very thorough. I've got an extremely close BBS shave. Some mild razors struggle with the area just under my chin. Not this one. This shave was as close as those I had with the very aggressive R41. Dare I commit heresy and claim that it shaves as well as a Wolfman? I dare. And for a fraction of the price. And you can have one delivered tomorrow. This is one of the best razors I've had the pleasure to shave with. And it is a Merkur razor with a really nice finish :rolleyes:
Will it eventually break? Probably, but I think it will last quite a while if you treat it well. And it is just 20 quid if you look around. Buy another one if it breaks. I'm sure you'll get more than 20 quid worth of shaves and fun out of it.
Btw: Who decided to call it the 45C? Merkur call it the 90 45 030. Common practice seems to be to call razors for example 34C for the chrome version or 34G for the gold one. Shouldn't this be the 45B for Bakelite? Never mind.
This marvel goes straight onto my post spending hiatus wish list. You need to try it to believe it. I don't need any more shaves with it. There is nothing more to be learned. It gives the perfect shave. So I'll pass it on straight away.
PM to @mattyb240 on its way.

I bought my 45c recently and agree on all those points. Bakelite is the new stainless steel.
BTW: The razor doesn't smell like a musty old wireless but I don't know if that's how you can tell.

I was just basing it on how it feels. It felt like something more modern is all. Dunno. My Wardonia feels like a well made, fairly robust razor whereas the 45c felt cheap and fragile. For anyone wanting one, I believe they have been discontinued so get shopping now.

I was just basing it on how it feels. It felt like something more modern is all. Dunno. My Wardonia feels like a well made, fairly robust razor whereas the 45c felt cheap and fragile. For anyone wanting one, I believe they have been discontinued so get shopping now.

I think this feels 'brittle' compared to the vintage Bakelite and plastic razors I have which have an altogether different feel to them. Could just have this feel about it as it is stupidity lightweight.

@Gairdner they did come in different colours .. :)
IMG_0587_zpsbgrtxatk.jpg

IMG_0588_zpsfulldfzv.jpg

This my old one, never seen water, maybe one day i will try it out ??

Back
Top Bottom