Closed Pass Around - Wolfman WR1-DC DE Razor - COMPLETE

Stan may I please have your postal address, razor will be posted, signed for tomorrow morning.

Final conclusion: an excellent razor one which I look forward to having in my arsenal. Very little wobble between top plate and thread, definitely built to a very high quality.

Incidentally received an email from James this morning, orders will be taken in February, hopefully the Blackland should land before.

Stan may I please have your postal address, razor will be posted, signed for tomorrow morning.

Final conclusion: an excellent razor one which I look forward to having in my arsenal. Very little wobble between top plate and thread, definitely built to a very high quality.

Incidentally received an email from James this morning, orders will be taken in February, hopefully the Blackland should land before.

Sorry for short delay...just got in. will send a PM.

Ta.

Item safely received, thanks Nishy.

Some early thoughts below PLUS a question for you fellas.

I suspect I could go on a bit, even at this early stage. So forgiveness is granted to those who don't have the patience and choose to move on - or simply become comatose and find their head resting on the keyboard hoping death comes soon.

Prior to receipt I hadn't shaved for three days in order to have a substantial growth. It has to be said that this extra growth MIGHT have something to do with the results. I haven't left three days growth in place for a very long time.

Usual OCD, exagerated, level of preparation.
New Polsilver SI.
OSP Sandalwood / spot of glycerine / St James cream and Palmolive cream all mixed up in the OSP tub and face lathered. (Superb!!!).

Remember there was 3 days growth...this might have made a big difference but but compared to the AS-D2 this felt a LOT more purposeful. I don't know how much this is due to the increased gap specified by Martin. Someone help me out with that point.

Both sides of the razor (open and closed) immediately felt utterly delightful and it was easy to distinguish between open and closed sides BUT both honestly felt as though they were super efficient AND, at the same time super smooth...the OC did have a bit more bite and did leave those distinctive "open comb" lines of soap and may have cut a tiny bit closer but the closed side was supremely smooth and efficient.

At this early stage I would say that - with the benefit of hindsight - and based only on one shave - and don't forget the 3 days growth..... that I would use this one razor over and above every other razor I own. Including th the AS-D2 and the ATT S2 and the Standard Razor.

The handle is obviously absolutely beautifully engineered...it felt like carressing a pearly, silky, sensually erotic................
...........OK, I'll stop there before I get too excited, but it is a thing of beauty indeed. However, after just one use I would say I prefer a bit more knurling along the length of the handle to aid grip. It's not a biggy and I would happily live with it but extra grip would suit be better.

I honestly, genuinely loved using this thing today. I would buy it in an instant. If it was immediately available online in the UK there would be an order in place as we speak. But it isn't. And you have to wait for ages just to get on the waiting list :mad:

Finally, one question. How should you use a double sided razor such as this to get the best out of it? Should you do a complete first pass with the grain with the OC side, then do subsequent passes with the SB. Or vice versa? Presumably most blokes will want to use both sides of the razor during a typical shave otherwise they wouldn't have bought a double sided razor such as this? In fact...why DO blokes buy a double sided razor? Why not just decide they like open, and buy a OC razor....or decide they prefer closed and buy a SB razor?

To summarise. Early days but I love this thing.

I've now moved from Devon to the Galapagos Islands and am settling in just fine. The water is nice and soft, so ideal for shaving. Regrettably I just missed the post collection from the islands so can't forward it on until the next collection - in two years time - but it'll give me a good opportunity to test the razor fully.

Hi Stan, sounds like we have had very similar experiences. I like to use the OC for the first pass if I haven't shaved for a couple of days. I don't feel the difference of an OC with a days stubble to be effective, just more harsh. Not totally unpleasant (due to the excellent design on the razor) just unnecessary for my skin. The closed comb would be my daily shaver, given the shorter stubble.

I echo the handle and in order for perfection 'slightly more' grip would be beneficial, but again it took around 2/3 shaves to adapt to the handle shape and then it was fine. My OCD would also have appreciated the side tabs to be completely encased as with the Ikon. Again in respect of the design only a couple of mm extends beyond the plate and top cap.

Finally something to consider, I have been trying to find a similar 'instantly' available razor to the Wolfman. Where the S2 is super mild the R2 on a Kronos handle is quite similar to the Wolfman's CC side.

It is unusual to love a razor after the first shave but I had the same experience, the next two shaves will result in Golum v the ring, it's still my precious.

All rcvd, Avnish. Thanks for that. Your comments re. the R2 noted....tell me more when you have time.

It's no exageration to say I am bowled over by the smoothness and closeness of today's shave...it surely is the best ever! By quite a substantial measure too! This razor could make me turn to crime in order to own one. No-one knows my new address here in Ecuador so I think there's a good chance I'll get away with it.

In truth I suppose I could just order a head only...I have one or two pleasant handles of differing sizes and shapes. I think I would duplicate the specification applied by Martin as it seems to be distinctly 'Goldilocks'.

R2 is a gem Stan, closest I have to the Wolfman.

It has that 'bite' or blade feel, so you know your blade placement/stubble removal consistently. It glides through stubble and provides excellent audible feedback. Sounds like two sheets of velcro being pulled apart on my XTG pass. This is akin to the CC side of the Wolfman.

Also I have zero blade chatter that I get with other OC plates. The Wolfman in this respect is on par. The threading of the Wolfman is incredible, very very little resistance, buttery smooth, providing an insight into the depth of consideration and time given to tolerances.

The Wolfman sits between the Ikon tech head and the ATT M1. The S2 I find milder than the M1. The R2 sits in the same place. Put a personna blue in the R2 and I get a very similar shave to the OC, with an Astra SP blade, it is akin to the Wolfman's CC.

If I didn't have the R2 I would be ordering a Wolfman in February. I will be ordering a slant from James as and when he releases one.

Back
Top Bottom