Open Comb razors

All I can really say is..and coming from other forum gents who used things for years.."buy em n try em".."
if it doesnt work out Ebay em" :lol:

B

Father Ted said:
Well its been 8 days since I ordered my Ikon and every day I wait by the letter box like something possessed.

I'll be gutted if its awful to shave with.

I will say one thing, treat it with respect it weighs 96g. Just take a bit of time to get used to it.
My 1st shave I ended up with a neck like a turkey.............or a person from the deep south of the USA.......... :shock: :shock:
But now, it shaves clean, easy and only if I am careless will it bite.............. :roll: :roll:

fozz77 said:
Have a good look at the blade aligment etc before you use it. ;)

Gotta love these comments,

DSC07054.jpg

There is a less aggressive option

DSC07573.jpg

Both shave equally as well depending on the persons preference.

prices are going up in 2011

Day two with the Ikon and im very impressed.
Very little pressure is needed as the razor has a lot of weight.
Im using Gillete 7 O'clock yellows and they work very well, though I have some Bleues and some Feathers to try out yet also.
It came with a 5 pack of Lord blades, which I will probably PIF at some point as they dont look to be my bag, though I may try one (you never know I suppose) I also have some Vintage Gillette Thins that I look forward to trying out.
I cant really compare as my DE shaving career has been Souplex OC (x2) and a Merkur 41 OC (which i have just traded for a Gillette Tech as I didnt get on with the Merkur).
The Ikon requires much less pressure than the Souplex did, in fact I would compare the Ikon with say a Gillete M3 for ease of use.
I suspect that the Ikon could be a face blender if too much pressure is applied. Time will tell. I dont suspect Im getting as close a shave at the moment as im getting 5 o'clock shadow by 2pm and by 5pm really need another shave (though im a 2 shave a day man anyway).
In short I like it. :D

Well I am in week 2 of using my Ikon razor. So I thought I would give a mini review............
Day 1. Moos stick, Resyke Brush, Face lather, Ikon Open Comb with Lord Blade supplied with razor.
Result, shredded my neck and skinned my face, not very happy at all. Reason, used 2 much pressure and did not realise how much the weight of the razor would effect the shave.... :roll:
Day 2 ........Gave face a rest....... :shock:
Day 3 Moos stick, Resyke Brush, face lather, Ikon but changed blade to Gillette Yellow.
Result, Used a lighter touch and let the razor do the work, much better shave. Still not quite as good as I expected.
Day 5 Set up the same.....
Result, much better now getting used to the razor. You have to listen to it as you shave (strange thing to say but that is only way to describe it?)
Day 7, GFT Sandalwood Cream, New brush from Fido (sorry Bill new toy had to be used.... :lol: ), Hand Lather, Gillette Super Thins.
Result. Wow what a difference, think this razor likes this combo. No razor burn, clean smooth shave with 2 passes and a quick touch up.
Day 9 Same set up
Result, am getting used to this razor now and have learned the hard way to show it some respect, but once you master the art of using it the Ikon is a very good razor. Especially considering it is a stainless steel razor and the price it sells for. The build quality is good and it should out last me. I am sending mine to Sunbury for him to trial and I (think?) I am getting a play with his Feather S/S razor so it will be nice to see what the extra money gets you.
With the exception of day one used Ogallala Bay Rum with Limes and Peppercorn A/S, Hot towel face prep, also off work at the moment hence shaving every other day........ :) :)

antdad said:
Whats the weight of those bad boys and are they head or handle biased in terms of balance?

101g inc blade
The balance point is at the top of the handle knurling , and in use I find it is quite neutral in balance with a slight bias toward the head.

Back
Top Bottom