Open Comb razors

Three questions, for those who may have a spare second to answer:

1. Which of these two types is most aggressive? Long or Short Comb?

2. Is the Gillette New a pretty aggressive razor? For example, is it much more aggressive than a Merkur HD / 33C or a Gillette HD Rocket?

3. How does the aggressiveness of the Gillette New compares to a modern open comb razor, like the Merkur 41 (which incidentally has thin teeth) for example?

Thanks team.

Attachments

• DSC00787.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 425
Three questions, for those who may have a spare second to answer:

1. Which of these two types is most aggressive? Long or Short Comb?

Comb length doesn't really affect aggression at least not with NEW's, I happen to prefer the long tooth because of comfort.

2. Is the Gillette New a pretty aggressive razor? For example, is it much more aggressive than a Merkur HD / 33C or a Gillette HD Rocket?

Yes but they are also lighter.

3. How does the aggressiveness of the Gillette New compares to a modern open comb razor, like the Merkur 41 (which incidentally has thin teeth) for example?

On blade gap it's more aggressive.

I have a number of open comb razor's, some that are more aggressive than others. If you filled the gap between the teeth of an OC razor it would feel different but I'm not convinced it would be less aggressive because of it.

The one pictured above was immaculate and mint, cased for $50, but I passed.
Based on two shaves I've had in the past with the Merkur 41 and Travel Open Combs, I thought about it and decided to keep the funds for an Aristocrat or President.

Problem is that the New is not exactly the same as the 41 or the Merkur Travel OC, from what I've been reading it is a damn fine razor...

I'm no expert at all and don't have an open comb but I was looking around the net yesterday after seeing the nice Gillette 'News' for sale in BST.

I came across this on Badger and Blade by a Jonnybc which seems to sum it all up :

"the open comb merkurs are designed after the "old style" gillette open combs, both of these razors have zero blade gap, meaning the blade lies directly on the open comb, whatever is written about them do not fool yourself into thinking they are for thick beards or shave more aggressively. They actually shave poorly! to the point where if you actually want to get a good shave out of one you must create a/or multiple 'shims' for it. this shim idea was 'invented' by DEF over at SMF and can turn an old style gillette or a Merkur open comb into a decent shaver, ive made my shims simply by chopping of the blade edges of DE razor blades with tin snips and then fitting 3 of them below the actually shaving blade, ie your creating blade gap where none existed- a great idea by DEF.

Now all that said if you want an open comb that will truly shave very well without having to mod it up you need to hunt down a Gillette "New" razor, these have blade gap and shave like a dream, easily rivals a 40's superspeed for a similar shave."

It's a totally different shave from the Merkur/Muhle R41 OC. The US and UK long tooth NEW heads are virtually identical so look out for US NEW Deluxe with the fat handle, it is particularly common and can be found quite cheaply.

antdad said:
It's a totally different shave from the Merkur/Muhle R41 OC. The US and UK long tooth NEW heads are virtually identical so look out for US NEW Deluxe with the fat handle, it is particularly common and can be found quite cheaply.

I was just going to ask for your recommendation regarding these , cheers.

Not sure if it's the deluxe actually. I'm thinking of the razor found in the red and black set.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20NEW/1934%20Red%20and%20Black.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20 ... 0Black.JPG</a><!-- m -->

I think you may be right, see attachment. Even worse for me, this weight (in the vicinity of 54 gr.) is my optimal.

Probably I made a mistake passing on this mint razor, but I had not good shave experience from the Merkurs OCs and decided to leave it. In addition, at the same time I was interested on a #58 (which I managed to get). Then my Philips Arcitec sold itself on the bay, I got funds, but the New was of course gone (seller already had two back up PMs for it so I had to let him know fast).

I have a British Gillette New ('46-'47), aluminium handle, got it from Steve long time ago, but sadly had never shaved with it so far, so had no opinion that could help me getting this mint New.

Never mind. I'll find a similar New in the future, at least now I know I should get one and give it a try.

[Attached picture again courtesy of the same seller at B&B.]

Attachments

• DSC00784.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 142
Back
Top Bottom