Open Comb razors

N_Architect said:
Three questions, for those who may have a spare second to answer:

1. Which of these two types is most aggressive? Long or Short Comb?

2. Is the Gillette New a pretty aggressive razor? For example, is it much more aggressive than a Merkur HD / 33C or a Gillette HD Rocket?

3. How does the aggressiveness of the Gillette New compares to a modern open comb razor, like the Merkur 41 (which incidentally has thin teeth) for example?

Thanks team.

Hi there,

I went through an OC sampling years ago and can still remember some of what I knew back then. Keep in mind this was my experience and may well not be the same for many other DE users.

First of all, a short comb is gonna be more aggressive. Older types like a Single Ring and Bulldog will have that type of head. The Old Type is one of the most aggressive designs I've tried, and way too much for me to use comfortably. Same holds true for the ST NEW as opposed to the LT version (which I can actually use).

The LT NEW is one of the milder OC types, but it still feels like a good #5-6 on the Gillette scale. The short tooth version bumps that up at least one number. I've never used those razors you mentioned as reference, so no help there.

Some NEW heads have more of a bite than others. A good example of that would be the NEW Deluxe head. A milder example would be a NEW Improved head, which is found often on Tuckaways and the like.

Hope that helps a bit,

Martin

Oh.....even though I don't use short tooth razors, I still happen to have a few laying around the aresenal. The one on the left is a Single Ring from the early 1900s sometime, and the other's a Gillette Bulldog from 1919. Heh, the Bulldog is an especially bad doggie and is probably the most aggressive razor I've used.

Attachments

• old type 001.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 74
  • old type 002.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 73
With my shaving collection coming along nicely *cough*, I have my eyes set on an open comb… If not a NEW the perhaps an iKon – they look pretty nice to me. :hungrig

Lipsy

Hang fire on the Ikon. I am testing my new open comb, bulldog handle one now and will post results in a week or so.
Trying different blades and getting used to the weight of the razor.
Steve

antdad said:
Do you mean new or do you mean NEW?..What you got exactly?

One of these...........

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iKon-Bulldog-Open-Comb-Safety-Razor-w-Gillette-Blade-/160499624779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255e85eb4b#ht_10513wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iKon-Bulldog-Open ... 513wt_1141</a><!-- m -->

But the brushed s/steel one in the 1st pic you come to after you finish looking at the bird having a shave........ :lol: :lol: , bought direct from Ikon.

That's the bunny. Would love to know how it performs.

And an update on the razor would be nice as well. *Fumbles in pocket for ticket, heads for cloakroom*

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom