Old Guy Moans ...

Yes - that phrase really gets on my three'penny bits. I was proofing/editing a PHD recently and the author was fond of using the execrable phrase 'unpack' - as in to 'unpack an idea.' I'm pleased to say - not a single example survived to publication - I.

'License' as a noun in UK is my bete noire. And 'data' as a singular.

'License' as a noun in UK is my bete noire. And 'data' as a singular.
Yup - medal as a verb annoys me no end. Pay attention BBC sport commentators - see also - using stadiums instead of stadia - on the same note - sandwich shop owners please note - panini is already a plural.

A genuine bit of management 'wank word bingo' used in an email to my partner last week, asking her assistance in filling out a child safety compliance document - could she 'help populate the template?' @RussellR5555 @Boycie83 - I challenge you to use that phrase at work this week. :) - I.

I challenge you to use that phrase at work this week
Guilty as charged
Oh No Reaction GIF

Yup - medal as a verb annoys me no end. Pay attention BBC sport commentators - see also - using stadiums instead of stadia - on the same note - sandwich shop owners please note - panini is already a plural.

A genuine bit of management 'wank word bingo' used in an email to my partner last week, asking her assistance in filling out a child safety compliance document - could she 'help populate the template?' @RussellR5555 @Boycie83 - I challenge you to use that phrase at work this week. :) - I.
Ha Ha

That one gets used all the time :)

I've had to adapt my repertoire as "just fill the fucker in" is no longer acceptable apparently.

It seems many people don’t know the difference between an adjective and an adverb. Most notably, adjectives are used to modify verbs. Such ignorance drives me bloody crazy.
Include me in on that one. That is, I don’t know the difference, therefore, misuse does not affect me. However, I do get exercised when people don’t use commas before and after the word ‘therefore’.

It seems many people don’t know the difference between an adjective and an adverb. Most notably, adjectives are used to modify verbs. Such ignorance drives me bloody crazy.
Grammar doesn't get taught in schools anymore so I think people can be excused for not knowing that. I find my grammar knowledge lacking most when I am studying Japanese and their grammar gets explained in English terms which I then have to look up.
Usage of 'then' and 'than' does get taught though, so there is no excuse to mix those up. Also, using 'of' instead of 'have' seems to be very common these days. 'I should of listened to my English teacher more.'

Ok how about the constant misuse of the word 'Literally' it really gets on my nerves.
The amount of times I here it used and it 'Literally' makes no sense.
For instance. On televised singing competition... " That was amazing you Literally blew the roof off" errr no they didn't. It's still on. Or.... They scared me so much it literally scared me out of my skin. No it didn't you are still in your skin. Just stop using Literally in the wrong place. :mad:
( My friends have started doing it on purpose now just to wind me up.... :rolleyes::LOL:)

Back
Top Bottom