New razor: Oristo

Well Oristo just went live with their web site.
http://www.stashedandfound.com/

Plain uncoated Oristo going for CD$199, which comes out around $150 US. Don't know what that translates into Pound or Euro. Definitely more than I expected and maybe more than it is worth IMHO.

It is a rather unfortunate price increase from the Kickstarter where the uncoated/plain one was CAD 99-109.
The Kickstarter even states "RRP CAD 129" (which would had been about USD 98) - which is a price I think would be better suited for the razor. I wonder what happened to make the RRP go from 129 to 199.

I agree, it is an excellent $100 razor, but adding another $50 really puts it in the range of "not worth the price". Even at $120-130 (the price of the original Black Mamba and the Wunderbar), it would be worth it, but not at $150.

I have now had 2 shaves with the oristo razor. And it's time to give my first small impression. First the machining quality is very good. Not better or in the same ligue as wolfman, but among the best.
I had a razorock black mamba but the love story never really started. The black mamba was for me more a "scrapping" feeling than a cutting feeling. And it was not really efficient. Before buying I asked Maurice(stashed & found) if they were some modifications made from the black mamba version and he said he did some, although they were small and were only some millimeters difference.
Although the modification are small, I notice a difference between the oristo and the black mamba.

Shaving:

I have coarse stubbles but sensitive skin.

The oristo shaves really smooth and is really, really comfortable. Maybe I think the most comfortable razor that I own. You can shave carelessly and not be afraid of any razor burn.
The shaving angle range is small. If you are not within this angle range, the razor will not shave.
The razor is efficient. Not as efficient as a wolfman standard gap, a weber, or the barbaros tr 1, but efficient.

Efficiencywise, I will put it here:

Att M1, Pils, Timeless 0.68 SB (less efficient) <- ORISTO -> (more efficient) Timeless 0.68 OC, Barbaros TR-1, Weber PH, Wolfman SB standard gap, Fatip OC

Maybe the only negative point where the razor could be better would be efficienty, but then it wouldn't be as comfortable as it is now.:rolleyes:

I'm at this point satisfied with this razor and will probably keep it:)

I have now had 2 shaves with the oristo razor. And it's time to give my first small impression. First the machining quality is very good. Not better or in the same ligue as wolfman, but among the best.
I had a razorock black mamba but the love story never really started. The black mamba was for me more a "scrapping" feeling than a cutting feeling. And it was not really efficient. Before buying I asked Maurice(stashed & found) if they were some modifications made from the black mamba version and he said he did some, although they were small and were only some millimeters difference.
Although the modification are small, I notice a difference between the oristo and the black mamba.

Shaving:

I have coarse stubbles but sensitive skin.

The oristo shaves really smooth and is really, really comfortable. Maybe I think the most comfortable razor that I own. You can shave carelessly and not be afraid of any razor burn.
The shaving angle range is small. If you are not within this angle range, the razor will not shave.
The razor is efficient. Not as efficient as a wolfman standard gap, a weber, or the barbaros tr 1, but efficient.

Efficiencywise, I will put it here:

Att M1, Pils, Timeless 0.68 SB (less efficient) <- ORISTO -> (more efficient) Timeless 0.68 OC, Barbaros TR-1, Weber PH, Wolfman SB standard gap, Fatip OC

Maybe the only negative point where the razor could be better would be efficienty, but then it wouldn't be as comfortable as it is now.:rolleyes:

I'm at this point satisfied with this razor and will probably keep it:)
Great just what I wanted to hear!....not really LOL.....I'm trying to hold
Off but this razor sounds perfect for me.

The more shaves I have with this razor, the better I feel about getting one during the kickstarter campaign. It is a great Goldilocks razor for me - not too aggressive, not too mild, just right. Unfortunately, their prices went up significantly since then. I asked them about it and they responded that they didn't want to do it, but they found during the manufacturing process that they could not keep up the quality at the original RRP stated in the kickstarter campaign. I guess what that meant was that the kickstarter campaign was not as successful as they hoped it would be, bringing in only enough to fund the project, but not enough to build capital. Too bad, as I really hope it survives so others can get it.

I couldn't resist. I just bought the sheen version. I love my Timeless OC .68 and to hear the Oristo may even be tad bit milder.......perfect for those days I may need to shave consecutive days or with any skin irritation!

Too bad you had to pay the elevated RRP for yours, but I am pretty sure that you will not be disappointed. I rate mine up there with my Merkur bakelite as far as efficiency and comfort.

"The Unboxing"
My Oristo Sheen arrived today!

I really, really like the looks of this razor. And I do like the presentation. I'm not sure why there isn't more excitement about this razor. It's beautifully crafted, and certainly does look like it will deliver a comfortable shave.

It will likely be a week or so before I actually try it, as I have some other razors lined up I want to shave with first- but looking forward to it!! :).

27f2b8d204cabb59429ddc86965ab82e.jpg

4db44684b1239d7556104714c136ffc2.jpg
b538be5dffc415a45309c480f8501381.jpg
m
74acfe7f90e263fa71aaa768cd0e010c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, can't wait for your review. I also think you are totally correct when you said you wonder why there isn't more excitement about this. It is an wonderful shaver (I shaved with it last night), and I really hope that word gets around on this as I want these folks to be around for a while.

First save with with the Oristo Sheen:

I can pretty much some this up one way.....if you like the RazoRock Black Mamba and/or you have sensitive skin and enjoy a mild and comfortable shave, then you will want to buy an Oristo (I'm actually thinking about getting a backup!).

Today's shave was with Proraso Green Cream, the Oristo Sheen and a Personna Red blade (on its second shave). I had 3 days growth to mow down. I used some Proraso Green preshave, then lathered up. The first pass was WTG and my first thought was: smooooth. The razor just glides with seemed zero friction. There was still a decent amount of stubble after the first pass, but about what I was expecting knowing this is a mild razor. The second pass was XTG. I feel I could have done some touch ups and stopped for a DFS, but as I only shave a few times a week, I'm a 3 pass shaver. The third and final pass was ATG and left me with a close BBS shave with no irritation. This razor is a new favorite of my modern razors, and right up there with my Timeless OC .68, and the Hone 15 (not counting my beloved B&R Adjustable, as it's adjustable and therefore incomparable).

I can't see anyone regretting this razor unless you really like aggressive shaves with a lot of blade feel. But even if you do, this would make a great addition for your rotation to use on days you want a quick shave and might have a light beard or otherwise irritated skin. For me personally, 2016 brought some amazing new razors. Let's see what 2017 brings us!

2e4cae2fe0994d7726ddc38bc3f9c713.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom