New muhle r41

preparation is the key here without a doubt....i think cold water users will suffer

tried the Astra in..with MWF...and while still not perfect...after first rasp across face...second go is much easier

goto spend more time soaking face i doubt...thats it from me...ill persevere

Another shave, and another improvement. The combination of the Astra blade and my increasing ability to hit the corrrect angle seem to be working.

There was some blood. I have a little horizontal cleft in my chin that is a little awkward with any razor, and I have not found a good approach for this yet.

Ian

I've never used a razor with a shaving angle as seemingly critical as the R41....Maybe finding the right blade combination for YOU PERSONALLY......will help as well.

I tried a Gilette yellow in the R41 this morning....A very close but very rough shave..won't bother with that combination again......So back to the lovely smooth Astra's for me then....I might as well give up looking for a better blade..because the Astra is near perfect for me....It's just that I'm just curious by nature and have to explore all the available options.

There are just so many combinations to try out and to get right......The Yellow Gillettes are smashing in my Merkurs...38c and Futur...but just don't work for me in the Muhle R41.........
And the Astra's don't work in anything but the Muhle........in fact only the Astra's give me a super smooth shave with this razor................Very strange....I wouldn't have thought we'd be so blade critical.....but some of us seem to be.

Well I have had the R41s brother now since Saturday the R101, and have 4 shaves with it [lucky where I work, I don't have to shave everyday], every shave gets better with this beastie, once you get the angle right it shaves so smooth, blades ymmv, but I would try different ones to see which one suits the razor and you, my go to at the moment is Treet Durasharp, I had a marvellous shave with this combo today, 9 hrs after I shaved and my cheeks are still smooth and just a hint of stuble under my chin ATG, still going to try out other blades [its like starting again], but all in all I think this razor is the dogs dangly bits, just my 2p worth.

ttfn

R

I've sold my R41 on. Although things were improving, the colossal amount of concentration needed at 6:45am proved to be too much. I can get shaves that are just as good with less effort/danger.

It was certainly an interesting experience, though.

Ian

You're right Ian...they do take a lot of concentration.....Time doesn't enter into the equation for me....But I see where you're coming from.. as they say....

At least you satisfied your curiosity.......................The R41's back in my rotation next week...might even dare a Feather again.

The more I read about this razor, the more I'm glade mine is still somewhere on or over the Atlantic!
The education I've received from reading your experiences has been fantastic but concerning. Let's hope the having will be more than the wanting!

I've had mine about a month now and still trying to tame this aggressive bugger of a razor.
When it all comes together which hasn't been often you do get a superb shave.

I got mine yesterday. I love it: it's really a killer but if you take your time and shave really slowly gives you perfect shaves. I am still learning: yesterday I badly cutted myself under my nose, but I really love this razor...

Well have it now for almost 2 weeks. Very glad that I was able to read, and learn from each of you while I waited for it to arrive. And studying for the test did pay off. I also feel that using a SE was good preparation for using the 41R.
It does shave well, 2 passes and you have a respectable shave. I've been able to start to play around with it, but you do have to keep your face lathered and moist.
If you feel comfortable with the new Merkur slant, the 41R should be ok for you.

I've had a shave with this razor. It made mince meat of my beard. It's so easy to get a close shave, just no margin for error.

The scale of aggression I'd put this in is scarily aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom