Myrica Glycerine Soap (notice to Gannets)

I have yet to try the soaps – it's been a very long week.

Thanks - I did see your post elsewhere that you'd had a lot on and I do appreciate that there a times when you need to know that you're going to get a goodly shave raather than try an unknown soap.

Briallen said:
Posted today (sorry about delay) to:

Arrowhead
moodymick
Alton_Bee
AJP
Adam D
simmo3801
SiR-ed8
Mikael
lac1

I've also included two pieces of non-glycerine.

No worries I have more soap to last me as is. Thank you much for the non-gly! It would be interesting to see difference between the two . In my experience non-gly takes bit longer to lather IIRC.

I was talking out of my bum. I think that you said that I had been pulled out of the hat for this soap, but I have the Citrus Silk and the HoneySpice… Defo don't have the Myrica, so I used the HoneySpice and reported back this evening.

Lipsy

I promised Elaine a public review of her soap samples, and then life went all complicated, so here we go, better late than never.

I got three samples, rather nicely packaged: Citrus Silk, Myrica and Honeyspice. All three are firmish soft soaps, or at least started out that way.

Citrus Silk
This is a cake of brilliant white soap, and Elaine warned me that I was unlikely to get on with it, and so it proved. Once I got it wet the cake decided to disintegrate, and I haven't been able to squash it together again - rather odd that. It's one of those soaps which gives a profuse, coarse grained lather which never really builds to a properly protective consistency and deteriorates on the face rapidly. I didn't attempt to use a straight razor with this one, but managed a quick shave with a DE with no ill effects. Although it could hardly be called a resounding success, there's a couple of good points: it's very slick, and the scent is one of the better citric ones I've come across, and I hope it makes a reappearance in another soap.

Myrica
Another firm but not hard soap, this time supplied in a small plastic tub. It's off-white with a subtle bluish green tinge, and an equally subtle faintly medicinal fragrance which I can't quite put my finger on, but it reminds me of old fashioned chemists' shops. This scent seems to hang in the air for a long time after use, and since I like it a lot, that's a bonus. In use, it lathered readily and the consistency is fine: creamy rather than airy, and it's very stable on the face, in a bowl or a scuttle. It doesn't offer that much in the way of cushion and isn't as slick as one might hope for, but it's perfectly usable and I managed a good three pass cut throat shave without much bother - mind you I was concentrating. I had a go with a fairly aggressive DE last night and found the soap eminently suitable. This soap gets a thumbs up with only very minor qualifications.

Honeyspice
Supplied as a cake but easily pressed into a dish, similar in consistency to the Myrica, but this time a beige colour, and smelling of caraway seeds amongst other things I can't put a name to. I've saved the best for last, and this soap is excellent in my estimation. The lather comes easily, and can readily be developed to a thick, glossy cream which closely resembles what you get from Cella. There's good cushioning, and it's quite slippery stuff, not unlike Mitchell's Wool Fat in fact, although you'd really have to work hard to get MWF quantities of lather in the brush if face lathering is your chosen method. Straight razor - no problem at all. This soap contains clay which seems to be beneficial for cut throat users, well, this one anyway. Of the three soaps, this is the formula which I think should go to market as it is, and it gets an enthusiastic recommendation. I'd like to think that Elaine might offer it with a choice of scents, and the Citrus Silk one seems an obvious possibility.

Conclusion
What I haven't mentioned is the post shave skin feel. In common with a lot of artisan produced soaps, this is noticeably excellent, with no trace of drying or tightness. Over the last year or so I've tried a lot of new soaps, most of which have been successful, but as a rule it's the ones from small producers which have impressed me most and left my skin in the best condition. Myrica and in particular Honeyspice are in this category and deserve to do well.

Ta

I'd like to think that Elaine might offer it with a choice of scents, and the Citrus Silk one seems an obvious possibility.

I certainly will be doing - I've a few essential oil blends which I'm thinking of using, when I can come up with names. For instance the "HoneySpice" was a quicky name for the soap which had honey in but if I make a Honey range and with more than one spice blend fragrance the name will have to be different - I used the blend initially in a moisturising lotion and have the fragrance on my file as "CuckooSong", OK for products aimed at the ladies but I don't think it's quite suited to gents' shaving products.

Briallen said:
For Mikael, and others who haven't tried all the soaps yet, Beejay has given feedback on the HoneySpice in Soaps Behaving Badly and in a SOTD post.

Arrowhead has posted on all three in SOTD (and snt me PMs saying that he'll post proper reviews when he has a minute or two).

Since I'm in a soft water ares I warmed up some bottled water (I know it's hard - apart from the calcium listed on the label it furred up the kettle when we had to use bottled water for a while last year) and had the lather as in the pic, about 5 ml of hot water on the soap; left it a while then poured off into warm bowl; 20 seconds loading the brush and just over a minute building the lather.
[attachment=0]

I think MoodyMick is in an area with harder water than here - but if any of the rest of you are in a definitely hard water area I'd be grateful for a bit of feedback if you've had the samples.

I prefer to read reviews after the fact so as not to taint that of my own. Will post when I have some runs.

This morning I used Honeyspice and it was good, I´ll buy if you make any more. Some here: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5752&view=unread#unread

... and some pics from the lather, it was a strong and good lather (my test: can the brush stand alone, without pushing it down - and that is a long and rather heavy brush handle):
PC010002600x800.jpg
PC010003640x471-1.jpg

Firstly apologies to Elaine!

I was sent this soap along with the Citrus Silk and Honey Clay samples. Due mainly to an impending baby arrival (that was due over a week ago!) and lots of snow causing more than a little bit of tense nervous headaches I didn't get a chance to try any of them. I've checked in here and noted the updates on the Citrus Silk s will give that a miss. I tried the Myrica today and would just like to say that it was very very good! The smell was certainly mossy which I liked. It lathered well and reasonably easily. The only thing I found was that there didn't seem to be much lather in the brush however it was certainly still producing well for the 3rd pass and I reckon I could have got a few more from it. What I mean is the brush wasn't a mass of creamy lather obscuring the ends of the bristles like I get with MWF. The lather was slick and provided plenty of cushion and my skin felt good afterwards.

I would buy this.

Sorry for the dealy and thanks for the sample.

Back
Top Bottom