Myrica Glycerine Soap (notice to Gannets)

Thanks for your implied optimism gents!

I'm hoping that I'm getting closer to a suitable soap (for one thing Huw in the post office doesn't look very happy when I walk in with a bagful of packages).

My postmistress loves me... she tells the senile delinquents to bugger off when they moan about me (or my archnemesis) posting a couple of dozen packages at a time... mostly because every item posted is a positive tick in keeping her PO open, the senile delinquents coming and getting their pension seems not to count (according to the report I saw at least)

Me first then eh with a review?

OK then, received today and took for a thrash tonight, the Myrica Soap. On consistency, I thought it verged on a cream to be honest as I would have assessed it similar to erm....humous (or if that's a bit middle class sounding - philadelphia) in texture. There is no need to comment on scent as it was unscented.

As i thought it was more a cream than a soft soap (ie Proraso--esque) I went for bowl lather. I found the lather to be quite aerated and thin on application, so I abandoned it and went for a face lather. So, as I washed off the brush to start again 'ooh look - bubbles', lots of bubbles coming out from the centre of the brush (just the same as with Artisans soap earlier this week). Fascinated now, i dropped my bowl in the bath as well - Super Bubble-icious !!

Wet the face off, swirled in the brush vigorously and scrubbed it all over the face and after about a minute or so got a usable lather. The lather lasted on my face long enough for a face and neck pass but was dissipated almost by 'tache time. That said, there was enough usable soap still on my brush (EJ BB Small) for another pass - just.

After rinsing off there was no razor burn (Astra(1)) and my skin felt fine and dandy.

My final test was to drop a bit of lather in the water to see what would happen, although the edges did bubble the middle maintained its integrity for about a minute and a half - which isn't bad.

Overall then, it deffo has potential, but it needs to be good as a bowl & a face latherer to appeal to as many people as possible. Oh yeah, and not fizz ;)

If anyone else wants a go, PM me and i will pass it along.

Thanks for the observations - I'll get this glycerine soap right one day.

I'm wondering where the scent went though - the sample left here still has fragrance.

I just thought it was unscented and that what I could smell were simply the ingredients
I can understand that - the essential oil combination of Bog Myrtle, Patchouli and Vetivert was originally "designed" for a body butter-balm The Great Outdoors, formulated for combating the irritaions of the elements (including mozzies - but it could not be described as repelling the little blighters as insect repellents require the same license as insecticides).

I'm not a qualified aromatherapist but I do take note of the properties of the essential oils which I use - and so they are as much ingredients as fragrances (but I can't say so!).

Briallen said:
I can understand that - the essential oil combination of Bog Myrtle, Patchouli and Vetivert was originally "designed" for a body butter-balm The Great Outdoors, formulated for combating the irritaions of the elements (including mozzies - but it could not be described as repelling the little blighters as insect repellents require the same license as insecticides).

Actually not the same 'license' but similar. Under EU legislation, repellents and attractants are PT (product type) 19 biocides; insecticides are PT 18 biocides; different requirements are in place for these product types, but they do all need authorizations. Even though it seems a little overkill to require a full 'pesticide' authorization package and risk assessment for especially attractants (which are usually pheromones).

Having said that, I sincerely doubt whether bog myrtle, patchouli, or vetiver essential oils, in the amounts relevant for a fragrance, have any mosquito repellent quality. There are only a few effective repellents, and the best ones are synthetic (DEET and Icaridin). Of the naturals, few have a reasonable efficacy, and then only against standard mosquitos (not biting midges or ticks). p-Menthane-3,8-diol, according to this Wikipedia page (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-menthane-3,8-diol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-menthane-3,8-diol</a><!-- m -->) is the only natural thats currently in the process of being approved as a 'legal' repellent

Can't make any claims, however when I worked with the Foresters on Loch Lomondside we mostly used Oil of Cloves applied to pulse points to inhibit (well, mitigate really) the worst of the dreaded midgie attacks. I understand that some of the lads nowadays use an Avon skin softening product. Not that I've ever found anything truly completely effective against a real midge swarm.

JohnnyO. :?

JohnnyO said:
Can't make any claims, however when I worked with the Foresters on Loch Lomondside we mostly used Oil of Cloves applied to pulse points to inhibit (well, mitigate really) the worst of the dreaded midgie attacks. I understand that some of the lads nowadays use an Avon skin softening product. Not that I've ever found anything truly completely effective against a real midge swarm.

JohnnyO. :?

Only a few products are effective against biting midges, deet and icaridine, and even those are only effective for a few hours. Additional problem with midge swarms is the physical annoyance - even when they don't bit they'll crawl into anything availabe, like ears and eyes. Mosquito headnets help, but make other activities less effective or even impossible. Flyfishinf in failing light with a headnet is one example - there's no way you can see what you fly does...

I tried mine out this morning.

With regards to smell, my sample did have a scent. I could not work out what it was, but it was a pleasant smell to go with a shaving soap.

Given that it was a soft soap I decided to face lather with it, so I soaked my Keyhole 2 for a couple of minutes whilst I got things ready. I then started to lather up. I was quickly able to transfer some of the soap onto my brush and then started face lathering. The only other soft soap I have used before is Nannys and in comparison to that this one took a bit more work to get a lather out of it.

The lather was quite slick and similar to other lathers I have produced before. When I actually started to shave with it the performance was good, it allowed the razor to slide over my skin and cut through the whiskers very easily. I would say that the lather did not offer as much protection as others I have tried as my skin felt like it had had a very close shave, almost too close, no irritation though.

There was enough lather left in the brush for a second pass and then I went about my post shave routine.

One thing I noticed afterwards is that my skin does feel lovely and soft.

We have soft water up here where I live.

Overall it delivered a pretty good shave. A little bit more lubricity in it would be nice though.

Soaps arrived yesterday :D :hungrig I´m having a go tomorrow and I think I´ll start with one of the harder soaps first, since no one has said anything about them yet. Or I can do a combo with two ... hmmm, two brushes, one face lathering and one bowl lathering, yes that´s a possibillity :?. I´ll see tomorrow morning. Thank you, Elaine! :D

For Mikael, and others who haven't tried all the soaps yet, Beejay has given feedback on the HoneySpice in Soaps Behaving Badly and in a SOTD post.

Arrowhead has posted on all three in SOTD (and snt me PMs saying that he'll post proper reviews when he has a minute or two).

Since I'm in a soft water ares I warmed up some bottled water (I know it's hard - apart from the calcium listed on the label it furred up the kettle when we had to use bottled water for a while last year) and had the lather as in the pic, about 5 ml of hot water on the soap; left it a while then poured off into warm bowl; 20 seconds loading the brush and just over a minute building the lather.
[attachment=0]

I think MoodyMick is in an area with harder water than here - but if any of the rest of you are in a definitely hard water area I'd be grateful for a bit of feedback if you've had the samples.

Attachments

• MyricaLath.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 163
I have yet to try the soaps – it's been a very long week. However, I live in a hard water area…

As soon as I use them I'll post feedback.

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom