Mitchell's Wool Fat - Why?

Apparently MWF has a bit of a cult status amongst the shaving community. But whenever I search for information/reviews all I seem to find is people saying how hard it is to make lather using it. So I guess i'm asking, what's so good about it and why would I choose it over another brand of soap?

Hi poppa,

Member du212 has made a really nice tutorial on another forum on how to create excellent lather from MWF. I use the same method for all soap pucks, and it works wonders. It uses quite a lot of product, but you will be rewarded well in the end.

I'm not sure if it is deemed appropriate or not to post links to other forums here, but in case you want it badly PM me for details.

MWF really is a wonderful lather once you get it right.

/Max

I always liked it because it lathered fine for me, gave a dense, cushioning lather with a real old tyme "soapy" scent, appealed to me as being a traditional, home produced soap and left my wee physog all fresh & comfy feeling.

JohnnyO. :shave

It's a very good soap, and nothing else leaves my skin feeling so good after the shave.

It does take a little more effort to lather than say Tabac, Trumpers or the L'Occitane soap, but I wouldn't ever describe it as difficult or hard.

Ian

poppa said:
Apparently MWF has a bit of a cult status amongst the shaving community. But whenever I search for information/reviews all I seem to find is people saying how hard it is to make lather using it. So I guess i'm asking, what's so good about it and why would I choose it over another brand of soap?

Hi there,

I waited way too long before finally trying MWF, and I'd hope you wouldn't make the same mistake. Yeah, it took me about three years before I finally figured what the hell and bought a puck. It's been in my rotation ever since.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about the stuff. It lathers up about as easily as most other hard soaps, so don't believe all that hype. You'll see members here who will agree with me on that.

The lather itself is quite good. Plenty of slick, with just the right amount of cushion. The post shave skin care is among the best.

It's a very good value pricewise, and performs better than most other soaps I've used over the years.

Martin

Oh.........I forgot the best part......the special MWF scent! Yeah, it smells just like three year old mutton being roasted. Excellent!

Well I love the scent but have tried and failed to get a decent lather. I don't have particularly hard water. I think what I'm doing wrong is not using it on a daily basis thus keeping the puck moist. But I don't want to use it every day so it's been dropped.

PC, I had the same problem in the beginning (first time I used MWF) and I have hard water as well.
Second time I submerged the puck in a bowl with lukewarm water and left it there while I took a shower.
Took it off water when I finished the shower and as I was about to start shaving, loaded the brush well, bingo.
After a few shaves now the puck is full of cracks, but all I care about is that it gives me lovely shaves every time I use it.

N_Architect said:
PC, I had the same problem in the beginning (first time I used MWF) and I have hard water as well.
Second time I submerged the puck in a bowl with lukewarm water and left it there while I took a shower.
Took it off water when I finished the shower and as I was about to start shaving, loaded the brush well, bingo.
After a few shaves now the puck is full of cracks, but all I care about is that it gives me lovely shaves every time I use it.

Yes I just cover the soap in warm water then after soaking tip in dish the brush has soaked in, I have the ceramic soap dish, easy.

N_Architect said:

Thanks and yeah I have tried that and perhaps I wasn't persistent enough loading the brush because still the lather was too thin for me. The shaves I got were very good with no irritation but to me part of the pleasure of using a brush is the satisfaction of achieving a lovely lather. I am sure that if I spent some time on perfecting it with MWF I'd get somewhere in the end but there are so many other good soaps and creams that I just can't be narked. It's taken me long enough to get decent with a straight! :roll:

moodymick said:
You just need to get it wet and rub it hard - treat it mean to keep it keen ;)
:lol: :lol:

Mantic59 like the stuff...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGLi_m9n_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGLi_m9n_s</a><!-- m -->

Blades

Life's too short to waste time with this soap.

Get yourself some Provence Sante - best face care of any soap I've used, and so easy to lather it's almost silly. :mrgreen:

I literally need no balm or moisturiser after using this stuff.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/prsashsore3o.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/prsashsore3o.html</a><!-- m -->

John

Back
Top Bottom