Methodist shaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." -
Abraham Lincoln

The whole point of 'traditional wet shaving' is that it gets away from all the complications and marketing hype of modern Gillette razors and gels. A single blade, some soap and a brush can give a perfectly satisfactory shave for very little money. Yes, here at TSR we 'complicate' things a little by trying out different means to the same end, but at the heart of it is a simplicity that is very effective. Roberts is no different to Gillette. He's fully aware that male wet-shavers can be a tad fanatical and fastidious, and plays on this by inventing a pseudo-scientific 'system'. A clever guy but we should not be fooled.

Pig Cat said:
A clever guy but we should not be fooled.

Naaah. His "system" may appeal to a very few but unlike Gillette if he was really that clever he'd be trying to capture a piece of a really large market instead of a tiny piece of an even smaller niche market. I just think he'd sell more product without all the pseudo science.

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:
A clever guy but we should not be fooled.

Naaah. His "system" may appeal to a very few but unlike Gillette if he was really that clever he'd be trying to capture a piece of a really large market instead of a tiny piece of an even smaller niche market. I just think he'd sell more product without all the pseudo science.

Guess so too. Just call the marseille soap/cream combination 'SuperLather', the cutting balm 'Moisturizer', explain that it is difficult to combine the three in a single product due to the hardness of the soap, do away with the faffy cloth, and just call a brush a brush, and position yourself not as a deeply scientific inventor (although I see where that appeals to the US persona), but just as the one and only Stateside, native equivalent of Taylors or Trumpers, and I guess he would sell loads more.

His whole system, besides being laughable from a scientific point of view, is way too intimidating (and demanding) for all but a very small group of cronies.

henkverhaar said:
Guess so too. Just call the marseille soap/cream combination 'SuperLather', the cutting balm 'Moisturizer', explain that it is difficult to combine the three in a single product due to the hardness of the soap, do away with the faffy cloth, and just call a brush a brush, and position yourself not as a deeply scientific inventor (although I see where that appeals to the US persona), but just as the one and only Stateside, native equivalent of Taylors or Trumpers, and I guess he would sell loads more.

You've convinced me Dr Henk, I'll take some. ;)

OK. Go to your friendly neighbourhood drugstore, or yoghurt-knitting farmers market and buy a large block of marseille soap. All of the other ingredients you already have. Make a superlather from the marseille soap and your favorite cream and shave yourself. Then decide for yourself whether you prefer just the cream, or the hard soap/shaving cream combo.

;-)

Not my doing Henk I'd complain, your more Dr Bunsen Honeydew for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3K9kEASOw&feature=related[/youtube]

I've always suspected that this was a load of bollocks.

Looks like way too much faffing around for me, and not in the least bit enjoyable. Isn't that one of the reasons we get into this? For that bit of luxury?

Oh I dunno I liked being a "Razor Rajah".

Anyway blame Boab, this is custom ranking is his idea but what can you do he's the boss hogg.

boss_hogg.jpg

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1707</a><!-- l -->

This is a load of baloney!

What can we tell from this?
1. Americans have great voices for presentations.
2. If you can talk in full sentences to sound authoritative and with high energy you can sell people the Brooklyn Bridge.
3. Men with glasses are more intelligent :)
4. Use terms like 'priming' and 'buffing' so subconsciously men think you are talking about cars and this appeals to the side of men that loves to understand stuff that women just shrug at. This is also used in Gillettes latest ad where the clutsh of a guy is told off by his 'mechanic' for not paying attention to the colour of the lube strip on his fusion cartridge which indicates when the 'dummy' has to go out and buy another one. Much the same as when someone might forget to chance the oil in a car despite the oil light in the dashboard being lit for weeks! This sort of advertising is sexist and if the same stunt were pulled on women there would be uproar.
5. Some humans will go to extraordinary lengths to try to disprove the law of diminishing returns!
6. Shaving yourself can be dragged out to take as long as minor surgery.

OK, enough's enough. I'm Charles Robert's UK Representative and I can tell you that this WORKS.

At this time of the year with the phase of the moon and the astral house of Capricorn you really NEED a faster paste, such a no. 2 or (ideally) 70% no. 2 and 30 % no. 3.

Charles' face cloth is AMAZING and was developed after three years in the lab.

Wetmix is NOT shaving cream. Cutting paste is essentially and is hydrogenically charged.

For £80 I will send out a FREE Method Shaving sampler pack, containing 5ml of ALL the triad AND a 5cm square of facecloth.

Come on guys don't diss it til you've tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom