Leicester City...

I bask in the glory of my hometown team! Now we need Tigers to win the playoffs and steal the cup from Sarries (who finished top of the league but there are no longer any prizes for achieving that in rugby).

Winning the Cup with two games to go is quiet an achievement!! Underdogs, eh?
It stinks doesn't it? I hate the fact that you can finish fourth yet still win the RU PL. On that basis, I didn't (and still don't) count my beloved Fez Boys as being champions from last year, because of that very fact.

It stinks doesn't it? I hate the fact that you can finish fourth yet still win the RU PL. On that basis, I didn't (and still don't) count my beloved Fez Boys as being champions from last year, because of that very fact.
The one thing in favour of a play off is the imbalance of players lost to international duty during the six nations. With just 12 teams and given that the players are missing for the best part of two months, it's quite easy for what would be a very strong side to slip up. It doesn't happen in Football to such an extent because of the international arrangements and cricket has centrally contracted players - it's a bonus for the counties when they do play.

Hiya,

Well lookit that, here's another nice Limey sports related story. Been plenty to read and watch about the whole deal...fairytale kinda thing with long odds. Heh, even the morning news Sports Guy mentioned it briefly. Truthfully, the Yankers usually don't give a crap about that sorta stuff....Limey type Sports I mean. They do occasionally make good targets for sarcasm and worse. Yes Cricket, I am looking at you.

Y'all have done good recently though. Tennis a couple years ago and something else.....the heck was it? Big deal though whatever it was.

Has Leicester got any sort of large following in a normal year? Yeah, I know the city would be a place, but anything that sets them apart from other teams? Besides the long losing thing......other than that. Are they known as lovable or bastards or maybe nothing at all. Is there a large bunch of fans usually into this team?

Please, no long explanations. My attention span on this subject is fractured easily, with crashing boredom resulting. Just wanted to congratulate.......who exactly? Silly to congratulate the city and team since I doubt this post will be seen by anyone like that.

Anyway, it's been enjoyable watching this thing, best taken inna leisurely distant way of course.

Martin

Athletico reaching another Champions League final tonight is another triumph for the smaller/selling clubs in European football.

I can't see Man City getting a positive result vs Real tomorrow night, so I'll be rooting for Athletico in the final.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Well lookit that, here's another nice Limey sports related story. Been plenty to read and watch about the whole deal...fairytale kinda thing with long odds. Heh, even the morning news Sports Guy mentioned it briefly. Truthfully, the Yankers usually don't give a crap about that sorta stuff....Limey type Sports I mean. They do occasionally make good targets for sarcasm and worse. Yes Cricket, I am looking at you.

Y'all have done good recently though. Tennis a couple years ago and something else.....the heck was it? Big deal though whatever it was.

Has Leicester got any sort of large following in a normal year? Yeah, I know the city would be a place, but anything that sets them apart from other teams? Besides the long losing thing......other than that. Are they known as lovable or bastards or maybe nothing at all. Is there a large bunch of fans usually into this team?

Please, no long explanations. My attention span on this subject is fractured easily, with crashing boredom resulting. Just wanted to congratulate.......who exactly? Silly to congratulate the city and team since I doubt this post will be seen by anyone like that.

Anyway, it's been enjoyable watching this thing, best taken inna leisurely distant way of course.

Martin
The bones of Richard III:rolleyes:

Leicester is known for the Tigers rugby team, Martin. Whilst the soccer team never won a damn thing until now, Tigers were dominant when the game went professional, cups galore. Nowadays, we seem only to knock at the door of cup winning - but we're still the pride of the city. The Leicestershire 'Tigers' Regiment was also a source of great pride - we all have or had family members who fought in both World Wars wearing Tigers badges. I have my maternal grandfather's WWI badges upstairs.

Well done, Leicester City FOOTBALL Club. One of thee greatest sporting achievements of all time. From almost relegated to Champions in a league of billionaires - fantastic! Nice to add to the 3 Football League Cup wins of 1964, 1997 & 2000 plus FA Charity Shield of 1971. Apparently, they have an Egg Tossers team too - who'd a thunk it? :p

The full speech is about 20 minutes long... with Winnie recounting what he told the French PM (who thought Britain would fold like the French)

"When I warned them that Britain would fight on alone whatever they did, their generals told their Prime Minister and his divided Cabinet, 'In three weeks England will have her neck wrung like a chicken.' Some chicken! Some neck!" — Winston Churchill, Ottawa, Dec. 30, 1941

Back
Top Bottom