Leaders Debates

We hear a lot of comments about politicians not telling the truth.
Why don't they? And what would be the consequences if they did tell the truth?

I'd like to know how students would answer this as an exam question. Particularly those about to vote.

Fido said:
We here a lot of comments about politicians not telling the truth.
Thats because they poll to find out what kind of reactions they will get before they make announcements.

Why don't they?
Because they fear that they would not get elected

And what would be the consequences if they did tell the truth?
Unfortunately there are huge numbers of gullible people about that will believe anyone that says what they want to hear. So they are probably correct that they wouldn't get elected!

I'd like to know how students would answer this as an exam question. Particularly those about to vote.
My experience of students suggests that they would answer it idealistically and optimistically, it take a fair few years of adulthood to reach normal levels of cynicism :mrgreen:

Jeltz said:
Rev, I broadly agree with you on all of that bar Trident but most of that cost could be avoided with a classic poker bluff - just tell everyone we've got it and build some cheap fake replicas! Who's going to know ;)

Hi Jeltz!

Yeah, apparently the "ruskies" were quite good at doing that during the cold war, good idea,why not ? :lol: Incidentally, for those who reckon' politicians run this country, the fact of the matter is senior civil servants do this particular job! They are also consulted at every level when it comes to formulating new policies. Remember the television series "Yes Minister"and also the,(in my view),fabulous "House of Cards"(have I got the name right?) - well I believe that is almost exactly how they carry on!

spandex.. ;)

moodymick said:
Indeed, if you want power, but no accountability to voters every 4/5 years - sod being a Minister, you want to be a Mandarin :)

..That's it, right there in a nutshell moody. Couldn't have possibly put it better myself ! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom