Leaders Debates

I'm steering clear of politics and religion here.

But just one point. I enjoyed the debates. But the discussions afterwards were a farce. What was the point of interviewing politicians who simply talked up their man?

Fido said:
What was the point of interviewing politicians who simply talked up their man?
+1

"Yer man last night, he didn't do very well in the debate, did he?"
"Aye, you're right, he didn't. Oh wait, I mean, he did so."

And listening to Nicky Campbell on 5 Live with all the interviewing skills of a horse wasn't a lot of fun either.

I have no idea why anybody sits in front of a TV and watches this crap.

It's like watching 3 salesmen trying to tout their double glazing: "buy mine! buy mine!"

It doesn't matter who you vote for and who gets in, once they've got their feet under the table at number 10, they'll be busy fucking over the average person, and bowing to the people that really run the country, and that's the big corporations.

If it wasn't likely that I would go to prison for it, I'd put my vote up on eBay and vote how the highest bidder would prefer.

Yes, I AM that fucking disillusioned by it all, and that's all I'll be saying on the matter.

Ian

Someone here has just asked me who I'd vote for. My answer:

"That's like asking me which form of cancer would I prefer"

I can't be bothered so I'll just put my X next to who ever is at the top of the list.

The nation debt could be slashed by 1. pulling out of the EU (but not EFTA), 2. bringing the troops home from unwinnable wars in far away places (Afghanistan) 3. cancelling Trident 4. means testing (the currently universal/automatic) child benefits and 5. pushing for an international levy on all financial transactions (the so-called "Tobin Tax").

Those five policies would, by my meagre maths, save / earn us about half the deficit in the course of the next administration.

And they are all gain with no (or minimal) pain.

What say ye? Rev-O for King!

Rev, I broadly agree with you on all of that bar Trident but most of that cost could be avoided with a classic poker bluff - just tell everyone we've got it and build some cheap fake replicas! Who's going to know ;)

soapalchemist said:
So I say...radically, and anticipating the full onslaught of the less gentlemanly members amongst us.....I didn't do anything to deserve to be born in the affluent West. Did you?

Could you give me some guidelines to follow on what you personally deem to be gentlemanly? And the last part of that comment is utter pish.

RB73 said:
soapalchemist said:
So I say...radically, and anticipating the full onslaught of the less gentlemanly members amongst us.....I didn't do anything to deserve to be born in the affluent West. Did you?

Could you give me some guidelines to follow on what you personally deem to be gentlemanly? And the last part of that comment is utter pish.

Happy to oblige, RB73. ;) As an initial pointer, I would say that not starting a reply with 'FFS' is a good start. Being able to disagree with someone's opinion without being overtly personally hostile is also the gentlemanly approach, or so I would personally deem to be the case.

I'm not sure what exactly it is you feel is 'utter pish' - I was just trying to make the point that we in the west tend to take our affluence for granted and have a basic belief that we somehow deserve the lifestyle we have; whereas the only thing we did to deserve it was to be born in the right place.

It's not really much of a point is it?

We were born in the right place so we happen to be affluent, the only pleasure of being affluent is being able to take it for granted.

Of course (to use your language) we deserve it as did your grandchildren deserve to ride in their lovely buggy.

Didn't the great French philosopher L'oreal once say...."because you're worse it"?

Back
Top Bottom