Is This English?

There are many dense regional dialects. In parts of Scotland:

blether - chat with friends
dreich - dull, grey (weather)
hoachin' - abundant
stramash - messy fight

Traditional Scots is almost a language in its own right.

And then there's Gaellic and Welsh, an entirely separate group of Celtic languages which also includes Irish gaellic.

PS: "Scotch" is not a real word. We drink whisky. A dram. A malt (ie a single malt). A nippy sweetie. The adjective for Scotlandy is "Scottish" and the Scottish people are "Scots". "Scotch" sounds like someone trying to pronounce "Scottish" after too many nippy sweeties. I guess we're stuck with "Scotch whisky industry" now though.

Don't forget the Cornish, they have their own language too, although not so many people can speak it these days!

Paul.

Last edited:

All perfectly normal. With the exception of Dench. At a conservative estimate, I am 20+ years too old too ever use the word Dench. Along with YOLO, totes, Basic and Fam

Don't forget the Cornish, they have their own language too, although not so many people can speak it these days!

I was down in Plymouth briefly, a couple of summers ago. When I asked for a "fish supper" I got a blank stare. Then I remembered I wasn't in Scotland any more. "Fish and chips please!".

The harbour area near the citadel is a lovely place to potter about on a summer evening but I couldn't stay for long. Would love to come back sometime to explore the area properly. Great drive back north through Wales & Shropshire as well, avoiding the motorway around Birmingham. Tintern abbey is a much nicer place to take a break v a motorway service station.

The west bits are the best bits

Plymouth is a lovely part of Devon, I've been there several times but Cornwall is God's own country but I would say that wouldn't I!!

Paul.