Is This English?

There are many dense regional dialects. In parts of Scotland:

blether - chat with friends
dreich - dull, grey (weather)
hoachin' - abundant
stramash - messy fight

Traditional Scots is almost a language in its own right.

And then there's Gaellic and Welsh, an entirely separate group of Celtic languages which also includes Irish gaellic.

PS: "Scotch" is not a real word. We drink whisky. A dram. A malt (ie a single malt). A nippy sweetie. The adjective for Scotlandy is "Scottish" and the Scottish people are "Scots". "Scotch" sounds like someone trying to pronounce "Scottish" after too many nippy sweeties. I guess we're stuck with "Scotch whisky industry" now though.

There are many dense regional dialects. In parts of Scotland:

blether - chat with friends
dreich - dull, grey (weather)
hoachin' - abundant
stramash - messy fight

Traditional Scots is almost a language in its own right.

And then there's Gaellic and Welsh, an entirely separate group of Celtic languages which also includes Irish gaellic.

PS: "Scotch" is not a real word. We drink whisky. A dram. A malt (ie a single malt). A nippy sweetie. The adjective for Scotlandy is "Scottish" and the Scottish people are "Scots". "Scotch" sounds like someone trying to pronounce "Scottish" after too many nippy sweeties. I guess we're stuck with "Scotch whisky industry" now though.
Don't forget the Cornish, they have their own language too, although not so many people can speak it these days! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
...PS: "Scotch" is not a real word. We drink whisky. A dram. A malt (ie a single malt). A nippy sweetie. The adjective for Scotlandy is "Scottish" and the Scottish people are "Scots". "Scotch" sounds like someone trying to pronounce "Scottish" after too many nippy sweeties. I guess we're stuck with "Scotch whisky industry" now though.

After perusing this article I felt like I had watched an entire episode of Star Trek..........................spoken in Klingon!!!! :oops: I understood maybe 10% to 15% of these wacky British phrases!! :ROFLMAO:

All perfectly normal. With the exception of Dench. At a conservative estimate, I am 20+ years too old too ever use the word Dench. Along with YOLO, totes, Basic and Fam ;)

Don't forget the Cornish, they have their own language too, although not so many people can speak it these days! :)

I was down in Plymouth briefly, a couple of summers ago. When I asked for a "fish supper" I got a blank stare. Then I remembered I wasn't in Scotland any more. "Fish and chips please!".

The harbour area near the citadel is a lovely place to potter about on a summer evening but I couldn't stay for long. Would love to come back sometime to explore the area properly. Great drive back north through Wales & Shropshire as well, avoiding the motorway around Birmingham. Tintern abbey is a much nicer place to take a break v a motorway service station.

The west bits are the best bits :)

I was down in Plymouth briefly, a couple of summers ago. When I asked for a "fish supper" I got a blank stare. Then I remembered I wasn't in Scotland any more. "Fish and chips please!".

The harbour area near the citadel is a lovely place to potter about on a summer evening but I couldn't stay for long. Would love to come back sometime to explore the area properly. Great drive back north through Wales & Shropshire as well, avoiding the motorway around Birmingham. Tintern abbey is a much nicer place to take a break v a motorway service station.

The west bits are the best bits :)
Plymouth is a lovely part of Devon, I've been there several times but Cornwall is God's own country but I would say that wouldn't I!! :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom