Coming in to DE shaving, like most people, I was aware of Gillette and Wilkinson Sword as razor brands, I suppose from cartridge razors really. Being a spritely 48 years old, and having wet shaved since the arrival of bum fluff, I explored the world of Gillette razors initially, I suppose because it felt like a safe mainstream brand to try. My experience and ownership now includes the Tech, long comb NEW, raised flat bottom english NEW in various forms, and hybrid Tech, plus the Fatboy and various TTO aristocrats.

The NEW in particular seemed to be a razor that was praised, so that's where I started. I was aware of the NEW improved, and the NEW deluxe, plus the various OLD types. I have no experience of those whatsoever. I've never really been all that impressed with the NEW series. Perhaps I'm spoiled by having access to ATT, Feather and Wolfman razors.

So it felt like it was time to investigate the situation with the NEW improved or deluxe variants. Surprise - they are quite hard to find at a reasonably price, especially if you want to use your own handles. I dropped the idea and forgot about it for 6 months or so.

Just recently, my interest perked up again, and frustrated by the availability of stock, I did some research and discovered that the Ikon Deluxe is effectively modelled on the NEW Deluxe. I have no idea how accurate the model is, but to my untrained eye, I see the same flat base leading up to the combs. I ordered the current Ikon Deluxe model, which is the B1 finish. I'm new to Ikon, but it seems they coat their steel razors, and that the previous DLC coating had some issues, whereas the B1 coating is deemed to be OK, so that's what I got (usual excellent service from Shave Lounge).

So far, I have only 2 shaves on my B1 Deluxe. I paired the head with the (aluminium) handle from my Razorrock stealth slant, because it's light and it's black. My initial reaction is that this is a superb shave, much more ATT/Wolfman-like than Gillette NEW-like.

I thought I was done with DE razors, as SE razors have been taking all my shave time lately. This might prompt a rethink.

Anyone know a nice stainless steel black handle suitable for a B1 Deluxe?

The B1 is very, very good.
It is probably my favourite
compared to an ATT slant, blackbird and a progress.

The others have their place & I enjoy them.
However, the shave from the B1 deluxe is very deluxe indeed. It was my first stainless razor & with hindsight,perhaps, should have been my last. I enjoy the blackbird a lot, need to concentrate with that one whereas the b1 is easy-peasy.
Handle wise, the oss works for me & I quite like the black top with stainless grip.

I have the iKon Deluxe in B1 and the older matt silver, the fact that I own two should tell you how much I like them. :)

My B1 came with a black Bulldog II, although it's more of a gunmetal finish that the matt black on the head.

Oh nice!

So if some of us really like this razor, I wonder why we don't hear about it more.

Maybe it's because it's referred to as the Ikon OC sometimes?

I had the satin finish version. Have to agree, it is a very smooth and efficient razor. My favourite out of the Ikon line up.

Is It ? I thought there were several in the B1 Deluxe line up including the dual comb ?
B1 is just the coating.
In order of aggression for the stainless steel Ikons :

OSS (dual head, open comb and safety bar)
Deluxe (open comb)
Standard (safety bar)

Deluxe is what Ikon call their Open comb.

B1 is just the coating.
In order of aggression for the stainless steel Ikons :

OSS (dual head, open comb and safety bar)
Deluxe (open comb)
Standard (safety bar)

Deluxe is what Ikon call their Open comb.

Well in that case I don't have one. I have a polished stainless dual comb - does that mean I have half a naked deluxe ?

Well in that case I don't have one. I have a polished stainless dual comb - does that mean I have half a naked deluxe ?
Sounds like you have an early version of the Deluxe.

I think they came in Polished steel, then satin finish steel, then DLC, then B1.

Got a pic?

I rather like the B1 (I believe mine is the 'Deluxe' model).
Great coating that after several uses still looks brand new.
Shaves surprisingly smoothly.

2lsdvnn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom