I love this engine sound

I wondered why it was called a hot bulb. Thanks Kristian.

Anyone here got any experience with rotary engines? (Also known as Wankels, but don't tell PigCat.)

A friend of mine makes them for military use (I can't say more than that) but they are a very interesting design. Norton motorbikes used to use them, and some Mazda cars, I think.

How the hell did this thread get revived?

Rev...if you have the original engine, I think you'll find your little vintage oil burning two stroke ain't the cleanest thing on the planet especially as it doesn't have to abide by any reasonable emissions control.

True, but then it also does 80 mpg and is one my few vices.

Anyway modern synthetic oils burn a lot cleaner than the old stuff.

Hey, who's keeping this thread going now Tony?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVe_nFQVyYg&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVe_nFQV ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

What about this then. My favourite type of vintage tractor, a Field Marshall. Single cylinder diesel.
To start you need to put some burning thing in the front. Then you had three options depending of which version you had. Hand crank it. Electric start. Cartridge start which is was is used in this clip. Catridge as in something which goes bang when you hit it.

This is also a great sound.

I had a 1961 Land Rover - ex-Military - the starter motor was present but didn't work. I liked the handcranking enough that I never bothered fixing the starter motor. Was a great anti-theft measure too, since only about 12 people in the country (a) know what a starter handle looks like and (b) know what to do with it.

My Grandad ( dead now nearly 50 years) once had a knife pulled on him when giving a hitchhiker a lift in his morris minor (rural Ireland and a much more trusting time). He found another use for the starting handle :)

That Marshall tractor is another 2 stroke abomination. :lol:

"To start the Marshall a smouldering piece of special paper, containing saltpeter, is inserted into the cylinder head by means of the special screw-in holder in the cylinder head. The engine is then turned over with a starting handle placed in the starting dog on the flywheel. This is aided by the decompression valve, which decompresses the engine for anything up to 6 revolutions (generally 3 revolutions is sufficient - a spiral groove at the back of the flywheel is used to determine the number of revolutions before it comes up to full compression) to allow the flywheel to gain speed and inertia to turn the engine through compression, and get the engine to fire.

A cartridge starting system is also fitted to the tractor. A shot-gun type cartridge is loaded into a breech on the engine's intake system. The smouldering paper is placed in the cylinder head, and the cartridge is fired by tapping the protrusion pin with a hammer. This puts a charge into the bore, sending the piston through its stroke, bursting into life. This method, however, deposits carbon which often causes jamming of the decompression valve if cartridges are regularly used. It also puts significantly more strain on the engine."

Back
Top Bottom