Hydrolast & Method Shaving Thread - thick skin required!

henkverhaar said:
Nope, not without an ingredient list -- but you know, the world of cosmetics, apart from scents, and possibly 'actives', is a fairly limited one; I guess it is a basic oil-in-water balm, not much different from A/S balms or thin liquid skin balms in formulation.

I just found this on another forum - the ingredients lists for various Hydrolast products:

Hydrolast Wet Shave Conditioner:

Purified Water, vegetable emulsifying wax, vegetal oils, rose hydrolate, aloe vera gel, soy lecithin, vegetable glycerin, seaweed extract, botanical extracts, xanthan gum, sea buckthorn, vitamin e, rosemary extract, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils.

Hydrolast Wet Shave Shaving Paste:

Purified water, vegetal oils, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium cocoate, aloe vera gel, vegetable emulsifying wax, sea salt, rosehip seed oil, xanthan gum, citric acid, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils.

Hydrolast Wet Shave Cutting Balm:

Proprietary blend of vegetal oils; proprietary blend of essential oils

Now I'm no expert but I did read Dr. Henk's primer on shaving soaps & creams (and US/EU cosmetics ingredients lists)... the wet shaving paste looks to me to be coconut-rich (and Henk said that was bad due to the high lauric acid content - being a really effective degreaser, not lubricator) combined with the olivate savon de Marseilles... but I guess it depends on what "vegetal oils" are - since those are presumably being saponified by the potassium & sodium hydroxide...

The balm looks to be purely composed of oil (which seems strange to me - and most un-balmlike)

Well, I think it was Michael Ham in his blog who said, keep an open mind about all the information and see if there's anything you take away with you. He found it wasn't his bag, but I agree with him that the oil pass is nice some times.

hunnymonster said:
I just found this on another forum - the ingredients lists for various Hydrolast products:

Hydrolast Wet Shave Conditioner:

Purified Water, vegetable emulsifying wax, vegetal oils, rose hydrolate, aloe vera gel, soy lecithin, vegetable glycerin, seaweed extract, botanical extracts, xanthan gum, sea buckthorn, vitamin e, rosemary extract, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils.

Bog standard home-brew (note ingredients as emulsifying wax and grapefruit seed extract) cosmetic cream, low cost, depending on the "botanical extracts".

Hydrolast Wet Shave Shaving Paste:

Purified water, vegetal oils, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium cocoate, aloe vera gel, vegetable emulsifying wax, sea salt, rosehip seed oil, xanthan gum, citric acid, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils.

Fairly standard shaving soap formula. Nothing special, except, see below....

Hydrolast Wet Shave Cutting Balm:

Proprietary blend of vegetal oils; proprietary blend of essential oils

Nothing more than a mix of oils - shaving oil, skin cleansing oil, you name it.

Now I'm no expert but I did read Dr. Henk's primer on shaving soaps & creams (and US/EU cosmetics ingredients lists)... the wet shaving paste looks to me to be coconut-rich (and Henk said that was bad due to the high lauric acid content - being a really effective degreaser, not lubricator) combined with the olivate savon de Marseilles... but I guess it depends on what "vegetal oils" are - since those are presumably being saponified by the potassium & sodium hydroxide...

The formula for the shaving cream was 'exactly' as I expected. I assume that it will have a higher percentage of potassium soaps than a 'normal' shaving cream -- with that, and with the sodium cocoate, it will essentially make the shaving paste / shaving cube (marseille soap - sodium olivate) mixture into a somewhat decent shaving soap/lather. As said previously, just a devious way to sell a standard shaving soap as an ultra-premium product, by separating it into partial components that need to be combined to get the desired result...

Henk

Back
Top Bottom