Hydrolast & Method Shaving Thread - thick skin required!

Pig Cat said:
I have a very strange scenario in my mind. Everyone meets up at a hotel bar and proceeds upstairs to a room where they go on to watch each other shave. Suitcases and the odd man-bag are opened to reveal soaps, creams, brushes and razors. They then head back downstairs to where their wives are waiting in their cars. :?

Somebody please paint a more exciting picture!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (As you can see, I found that scenario particularly funny.)

"...and the odd man-bag..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we could ask Charles 'Method Shaver' Adams to appear as Guest Speaker? I'd love to watch him 'in action', so to speak. I can just imagine everyone shrinking into their seats as he barks out "Questions from the audience?". It would amuse me no end if someone piped up and asked him if there was actually any method in his madness.*

*FWIW, I'm really interested in trying out his products and technique. Have read that he's really forthcoming with advice, too. Has anyone here bought any Hydrolast products, and if so what were they like?

Re: The Shaving Room "Where are you map"

Naked Ape said:
*FWIW, I'm really interested in trying out his products and technique. Have read that he's really forthcoming with advice, too. Has anyone here bought any Hydrolast products, and if so what were they like?

I saw a PDF a while back that was about 50 pages long, full of Hydrolast bollock*. It was full of pseudo-scientific clap-trap and strange made-up words. This guy is an absolute nut case. Some men appear mad to all around them but prove in actual fact to be geniuses. A good example of this is perhaps Dr Emmett Brown of Back To The Future I, II and III. Charles Adams also comes across as a mad idiot, but unfortunately I would bet a small fortune that he actually is a mad idiot.

Did I mention that I think Charles Adams is a mad idiot? Well he is. :|

Whoaaa there, PC!! (That's English for stopping a horse.) I agree with the pseudo-scientific terminology bit (even though I've only watched his online demo and not read his literature), but I've read quite a few good things about the Hydrolast products, and their alleged ability to provide a slick, smooth, burn-free shave. And I'm pretty sure not all of the positive comments were from his disciples either. Think about how many blades, razors, soaps, creams, balms, etc you've tried out since DE shaving - surely you must wonder how good these Hydrolast products are? Not even the tiniest bit interested? You'll break one day - and when you do, we're going to split the shipping costs, I tell ya!

Nape nape nape...if it makes you happy I shall watch this right now:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSv_0MpKJU4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSv_0MpKJU4</a><!-- m -->

Perhaps the good Mantic can make sense of it?

Boab, do we need this moving to a separate Hydrolast thread? :?:

I've watched the Mantic vids, all three in fact. I don't doubt that by using this method you can get a great shave. I just feel that it is a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Or to put it less metaphorically, using a shed load of expensive shaving gear as well as lots of valuable time to shave a face. :D

OK, my efforts with 2p worth of Palmolive and a £10 boar brush aren't always 100% perfect, but they're good enough for me. I admit that for some chaps this method would be worth a try. Namely those who continue to have irritation from their usual shaves and those with the time and money to indulge themselves.

I've spent some time "slagging" :roll: off Method Shaving but I still have an open mind. As I say, I'm sure it works fine, but it just seems completely unnecessary. Has anyone here tried it? I am willing to have my views changed. :p

Wow. Hornet's nest well and truly sirred up, I'd say.

JWs sell God. CAR sells Hydrolast. And I'm playing devil's advocate.

So, back to my original question: have any of you gents tried any of the Hydrolast products; if you have, how did they perform?

Nope, but I think if you are insistent on or require an all natural product then it might be worth a try otherwise I think the process is a bit of a faff, coupled with the "scientific" language and I'm put off it from the start.

antdad said:
Nope, but I think if you are insistent on or require an all natural product then it might be worth a try otherwise I think the process is a bit of a faff, coupled with the "scientific" language and I'm put off it from the start.

I'm not even convinced by the organic/natural argument. Just because something is organic or natural it doesn't mean it is better for the environment than more conventional alternatives. Things to consider are:

The efficiency of production methods
The fuel miles from raw product to your door
The fact that sourcing a natural product may affect the environment more than creating an 'artificial' one
The amount of product used per shave, including packaging involved
Type of packaging

I realise that this is not Hydrolast's main selling point, but I thought I'd just point out that it may not be the best 'environmental' choice either.

Ooh, I am Mr Cynical today! :lol:

I'm not confusing the two issues and to be fair I don't remember reading about enchante/hydrolast ever making any environmental claims at all.

That reminds me, must not buy soap that has travelled half way across the world. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/youtube]

Naked Ape said:
Has anyone here bought any Hydrolast products, and if so what were they like?

No, but I can roughly tell you what they are, and why I won't be buying any. BTW, I've never seen anyone so obfuscate a task that is by nature simple and easy. His jargon is over the top and his products are highly overrated.

His shaving 'mix' consists of a 'cube' and a 'paste'. The cube is nothing more than hard marseille (sodium olivate) soap, and as such is wholly inappropriate for making a shaving lather. That is where the paste comes in. I don't know exactly what's in it, but I guess it's a mix of shaving cream (i.e. potassium stearate based soap) and surfactants, and some color and fragrance. In essence he's building a 'superlather' from castille soap and a supercharged cream. Now why anyone would sell such a backwards system as 'new and better' is totally beyond me -- but it does explain why he needs this jargon-riddled hoopla to hide the ugly truth. Well, it is as P.T. Barnum said a long time ago...

Henk

I've tried the hydrolast moisturiser (PIF from Mammoo about six months ago). Very thick and rich, make a good handcream for Norwegian oil-rig worker; far too much for my poor face.

More than that I cannot say.

Henk, Ollie, thanks for that.

Henk, I'm surprised at how basic those two particular Hydrolast products sound! Any info on the 'cutting balm' CAR mentions in his demo?

Rev-O, I was particularly interested in hearing about the post-shave moisturiser from someone, as it seems to be Hydrolast's stand-out product.

Back
Top Bottom