Hydrolast & Method Shaving Thread - thick skin required!

Nope, not without an ingredient list -- but you know, the world of cosmetics, apart from scents, and possibly 'actives', is a fairly limited one; I guess it is a basic oil-in-water balm, not much different from A/S balms or thin liquid skin balms in formulation.

Thank you Henk for using the word "hoopla" we should have a word of the day.

That's right Olie I'd forgotten about that PIF from mamoo. It was a very rich moisturiser indeed.

Hmmmm. I guess most of the people in the grooming/cosmetics industry have an agenda of some kind or other. Some, like Roberts, shout about the benefits of their wares, while others plug away at it more discreetly. But when it comes down to it, they're all after our cash.

Maybe I am exploring the complex to arrive at the simple: namely that tried-and-tested staples such as Palmolive Classic work very well and cost very little compared to high-end or artisanal products. In which case, I'm going to bring forward my Palmolive stick-grating-soap-making trial. Now that stuff really does cost next to nothing! :D

Naked Ape said:
Maybe I am exploring the complex to arrive at the simple: namely that tried-and-tested staples such as Palmolive Classic work very well and cost very little compared to high-end or artisanal products.

Yes, and you know what, there is relatively little real difference in quality and performance. With artisanal products, one of the issues that determine the higher price is the economy of scale. When you make soap in small batches, you buy your ingredients in small quantities, and you pay for them through the nose; also when you make small batches, you need to amortize your other expenses over those small batches.

Other than than, with non-standard products you're buying into the 'story behind the product', much more than paying for real difference. With artisanal it is the natural ingredients or the tried and true, traditional methods and recipes, with the high end stuff it is quality of perfumes, star dust and perceived image, especially if you can let it be known that you have bought into that image through recognition of scent...

In cosmetics, there really isn't any drawback, quality-wise, to cheap products -- the whole industry is that highly regulated.

Henk

Naked Ape said:
Please explain, PC...

Because you are aspiring towards products that are esoteric and high-end. Whereas I am lying in a gutter full of Palmolive and Semogue. :cry:

Just a minute, why am I complaining? I love Palmolive and Semogue. Oh, and I am aware that you are due to try out some Palmolive soap any day now, so will no doubt lose all your highfallutin' ideas!! :D :D :D

That's a bit rich, Pig Cat (pardon the pun :oops: ) coming from someone who shops at Harrods ;)

Like I've said before, like most newcomers I'm open to any idea/technique/product. For good or bad, that includes Method shaving and its associated Hydrolast products. I'm not championing anything; I'm merely interested in EVERYTHING.

As for high-end products, I've certainly splurged out on a few. But, as you well know, I've also shelled out on cheaper alternatives such as Palmolive, Boots etc. I'm not 'aspiring' to exclusivity. I want to see if they make a difference.

I'll have to leave it there, ol' chum, as Lord and Lady Taylor-Rose have arrived for dinner :D

When I first began looking into wetshaving, I found a link to the infamous Method Shaving PDF and I printed the thing out at work so I could read it on my evening subway ride home. It was the single most unreadable thing I had ever seen. The man cannot write. I went on to begin shaving in the traditional manner (refined to perfection by you lot) and never looked back. I will say this to be fair, although he is an abysmal writer and a shameless self promoter, his products are held in very high regard by many who have tried them. I, for one, cannot bring myself to tamper with what works so well for me. I find that he is, if nothing else, passionate about shaving. I watched his video recently, and could not get all the way through it. It was actually painful to watch. At it's simplest, Method Shaving involves making a "Superlather" by combining a soap and a cream. I do this sometimes with what I have on hand and the resulting lather is great, maybe not "super", but good enough to make me want to continue doing this. As far as the rest of the Method is concerned, well let me be kind and say it isn't for me. His shop in Austin, TX sells a lot of products that have nothing to do with Method Shaving and people who have been there have nothing but wonderful things to say about the experience of meeting and speaking with him at length.
I think that he will likely do more to promote wetshaving than to damage the image. That is always a good thing, even if you don't want to take his fork in the road.

Back
Top Bottom