How often do you shave?

It's in the New York Times so it must be true

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/business/media/19adco.html?src=busln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/busin ... ?src=busln</a><!-- m -->

"men who shave five or more times a week have sex twice as frequently as the stubbly, and that 82 percent of women prefer cleanly shaven men."

It doesn't say who with though :roll:

Smell The Glove said:
It's in the New York Times so it must be true

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/business/media/19adco.html?src=busln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/19/busin ... ?src=busln</a><!-- m -->

"men who shave five or more times a week have sex twice as frequently as the stubbly, and that 82 percent of women prefer cleanly shaven men."

It doesn't say who with though :roll:

Its true , I used to shave once or twice a week but since I started shaving 5 times a week I'm at 'it' non-stop.
I'm absolutely knackered and if the wife finds our she'll take my tabac away :(

Used to be once a week with the old cartridge razors because it was such a chore. Since I really got into DE shaving in December, I shave daily. It's become a very Zen-like experience - a real me-time each day.

Having so many razors & creams/soaps/scents now it's also too much temptation to avoid using them all the time... :D

Largo said:
My struggles with Mach 3s etc. led me to reduce my shaves (currently just my throat because I'm bearded just now) to twice a week at the most. However, my early attempts with a DE razor on stubble that is five days old or so have been a bit "draggy" and I've ended up with redness and quite a few nicks. I realise that this may well be due to my amateur technique but I was wondering if the length of my stubble is also something to do with it.

Reading the shaving boards, I get the impression that most people shave every day or two. Now, I know that we're all enthusiasts here, but does the DE method necessitate such regular shaving or will my shaves be comfortable and glassy smooth once I get my technique sorted even if I choose to leave it five days between shaves?
Hi Largo!

A belated welcome to the Forum. I find I can get away with only shaving 3 and sometimes 4 times in a week. I say "get away with" because I really don't think it does my skin much good to shave more often than that! I am discovering That I have sensitive skin and a med./tough beard, so I have to be careful in my choice of Razor, blades, and indeed, most other equipment I use. You will be aware of the fact that there are so many different combinations of facial skin and hair types that it is virtually impossible to say to someone such as yourself," here this routine will sort you out , use this equipment and that will most certainly do the trick". However, if you use a fairly aggressive Razor and a really sharp blade for those times you find you've let it grow "a bit" and take it easy using bags of patience etc.. I think you will find after a few passes, Bob could well turn out to be your "Uncle". But if, after 5 days, your beard is really tough and grows at an extraordinary rate,then short of using a "straight", an electric trimmer is the only answer before starting the DE routine! Listen, what do I know - nothing compared to the combined wisdom of some of these bods on here Largo! All I can really tell you with conviction is what I have found out myself through having a go. You will find out, as I have, after a little longer that this forum is about so much more than getting a good shave however, need I go on? :D All the best, spandex..

Depends, with a de it's every other day but with a straight some of my best shaves come from 3 days of growth, probably because the extra hair soaks up my prep just that bit better plus the better feedback of what the bristles are doing.

I could use the straight every day i just choose not to, with the de it's 2 days or more, if i try for every day my skin really doesn't appreciate it.

Being a Blond bombshell (very fair of beard) and currently being my own boss i don't need to shave everyday (I am shaving my head everyday atm - but buggered if i can master that with a DE (not for want of trying..)).
So i tend to Shave every 2 days - Tho obviously - going out somewhere nice always warrants a good shave.,

If it's been more than 3 days using a straight becomes a much higher priority for me. If things have gone wild then I find single edge razors: Gem, Star, Ever Ready, to be great for hacking things back to the point that you can then shave with whatever razor you wish.

After reading this thread I decided to give daily shaving a try for the week.

The 1st three shaves were with a Feather and Futur combo. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I switched over to the more mild HD, and this morning I went 'back to the Futur' albeit dialled down a noch.

Initially I found that the Futur didn't really like the shorter one day's growth, and my face was feeling a little raw. That's why I gave the HD a go. I also had to adjust my technique ensuring a lighter than light touch was used. Actually negative pressure is required with the Futur. Also taking more care than I usually do over the lather (a thicker cushion is required).

And now the end of the week has come around I think that my face has adjusted to this daily extreme form of exfoliation. The Futur is my usual weapon of choice, and I was glad to have a comfortable shave with it this morning.

I will probably have a rest tomorrow and go daily again next week. It is a good excuse to use up more product.

You never stop learning.

3-4 times a week for me. I don't/cannot shave every day. I always go for BBS, therefore I get away with a shave-free day as the stubble is still barely visible as the previous day's shave was so close. Also, my skin can not tolerate another shave after a really close shave the day before.

Unlike some here, I find after 3-4 days, my shaves are better. My skin has recovered. The longer stubble is no problem providing prep is good and blade is sharp. I once took off 5 days' worth of growth in one pass with a fresh Feather/Slant combo. It's really something else. No pulling/tugging at all. Try that with a cartridge! :shock:

John

Since this topic was originally posted, I've shaved daily, 2-daily, 3-daily & 4-daily...

I can just about tolerate 3 days between shaves, and 4 days was a nightmare... can't stand the itching - how bad must shaving have been that I used to routinely go a week without shaving? :eek:

Back to daily (or possibly twice daily for special occasions) shaves for me...

Back
Top Bottom