How often do you shave?

My struggles with Mach 3s etc. led me to reduce my shaves (currently just my throat because I'm bearded just now) to twice a week at the most. However, my early attempts with a DE razor on stubble that is five days old or so have been a bit "draggy" and I've ended up with redness and quite a few nicks. I realise that this may well be due to my amateur technique but I was wondering if the length of my stubble is also something to do with it.

Reading the shaving boards, I get the impression that most people shave every day or two. Now, I know that we're all enthusiasts here, but does the DE method necessitate such regular shaving or will my shaves be comfortable and glassy smooth once I get my technique sorted even if I choose to leave it five days between shaves?

I cannot imagine not shaving for 5 days! All my shaving life I have had a daily shave whenever possible. I would have thought a few days growth would be a challenge for any cartridge or DE razor. Perhaps a straight would be better for those who shave once or twice a week?

Every other day is about right for me. The DE blade makes short work of my 2 day growth.

I don't have to shave for work, but even if I did, I think that I could get away with every other day.

If the mood takes me, or for a special occasion, I will squeeze in a daily shave, however I think that my face is thankful for a days rest between shaves.

I shave every day.

Your issues are probably owing to technique. There are quite a few things to get 'right' for a shave to go well, and most of these need to be learned. Blade angle and light pressure are the key ones, but getting the beard really wet, and making a good lather are also important. A lather that is too dry (not enough water) or too wet (too much water) will not help.

Also, for the moment, just try shaving WTG (with the grain, or with the growth) until things improve.

Ian

I shave most days, but will skip 1 or 2 days each week. My non work days are Wednesday and Sunday so my intended shave schedule this week is Sun Eve, Mon Eve, Wed Eve, Fri AM and Sat AM.

I find that a shave pulls somewhat if I have more than 2 days growth, but only on the 1st WTG pass.

I think its a case of practising concentrating on blade angle and a light touch but with a single WTG pass as Ian suggests.

Virtually every day. A shave every 5 days would be extremely uncomfortable with a cartridge razor as they clog up too easily. I'd break out an open comb for such a big shave and take it slow with a lot of passes - think of mowing an overgrown lawn. You don't try to do it in one pass. Same principle applies IMO.

I usually shave every day. If I miss a day it is all the more satisfying to shave two day's growth. Last summer I caught impetigo (don't ask! There's a thread somewhere if you're interested! :shock: ) so it was at least five days before I shaved. The DE did a great job of it whereas a cartridge would have been difficult and painful.

It's a vicious cycle, I used to do the same myself...

You leave your beard for 5 days to allow your skin to recover yet by doing so you will naturally irritate the skin more by having to remove 5 days of growth. Just don't worry about achieving a glass like finish because it has been trying to achieve this with a cartridge that has really led you to this point. Improved prep and technique with a D.E will improve your shave no end, your aim should be an irritation free shave
and NOT BBS, many shavers eventually settle on one or two pass shave every one or two days because they know that is what their skin can tolerate. As Ian says a couple of gentle With The Grain passes will be fine to start, that's pretty much what I do most of the time anyway.

cheese_dave said:
Usually every evening, though I have a "sabbath" once a week, usually on a Friday.

Sounds a bit Jewish to me! Do you abstain between Friday and Saturday evenings? :D Being Jewish myself (well Atheist-Jewish! :? ) I refuse to do any work on the Sabbath. Actually I apply this rule to most of the week, much to Mrs PC's chagrin. ;)

I shave everyday. There are the rare occasions I may not shave, maybe I'll miss 1 or 2 days a month.

pre DE days, I would shave once every 2-4 days or everyday only if it was essential for my job.

I have never shaved every day.

Usually I shave every three days. Lately with my addiction to wet/DE shaving and the enjoyment it offers, I tried shaving every 2 days. Less than ideal. I prefer every 3 days.

I reckon it has to do with my skin's sensitivity. From experience, optimum shaving (wrt irritation etc.) is every 3 or 4 days for me.

Interestingly, although a daily or bi-daily shave has always been out of the question for me with a Mach 3, I actually get a really good shave after four or five days providing I use decent cream. The best I found was Menscience shaving cream. It’s pretty pricy but is in the same bracket as some of the stuff from the three T’s. I’ve noticed that, refreshingly, the members here are happy to recommend far more reasonably priced products.

In my job I can usually get away with only shaving twice a week (sometimes I don’t wear a tie either). When my beard comes off I’d like to smarten up my act and shave more often but I’d like to have the option of leaving it to grow from time to time as well without the fear that I’m in for a face-grating session.

From your responses, it seems as though it’s the technique rather than the tools that are the key here. That said, I may trade up from the cheapo Boots DE I’ve been using sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom