Horsemeat

I really liked King up until about Dark Half. Then he lost me. He used to write great stories, great characters, people you could get involved with and care about, tales that drew you in and got you interested/scared/excited. After Dark Half I couldn't get into any of his stuff, except maybe the Dark Tower series, and even then I struggled to stay on board.

Read the stories he wrote as Richard Bachman. The Running Man is a goodish story turned into a crap film with Arnie in it. Thinner, Rage, Roadwork are excellent. The Long Walk is one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read.

"It" is probably my favourite King novel ever. Very cleverly written, and an excellent story.

I've read a few of Kings books however I have never been able to finish reading The Stand (complete & uncut the one with an extra 500 pages).

Maybe its just because I was young when trying to read it....... I might go back to it now.

I like some King books , others just seem to be by the numbers . "The stand" is actually one of my favourite books , I must read it again.
Another writer in the same genre who is a bit hit or miss is Dean Koontz , I really enjoy the "Odd Thomas" books.

I did like some King books when I was younger however I struggle somewhat with the amount of books that he churns out for really there isn't a huge variation in the stories once you've read a few, there's a normal civilian something strange happens to them, things start to go wrong, someone dies, someone has a revelation/epiphany, story is left open ended or concluded. I've read quite a number of them and enjoyed a lot of his earlier work, e.g. the Shining, Carrie, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers and sometimers even though when you step back from the story and see it's core ideas it's the description and intense detail about miniscule things that make those books good, unfortunately that's what I find looking in his newer books and also after a while I have just got bored of his writing style and ideas. However I must confess to liking The Green Mile a lot and thought it was very well written and on par with his earlier work.

F.G.R.X said:
I did like some King books when I was younger however I struggle somewhat with the amount of books that he churns out for really there isn't a huge variation in the stories once you've read a few, there's a normal civilian something strange happens to them, things start to go wrong, someone dies, someone has a revelation/epiphany, story is left open ended or concluded. I've read quite a number of them and enjoyed a lot of his earlier work, e.g. the Shining, Carrie, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers and sometimers even though when you step back from the story and see it's core ideas it's the description and intense detail about miniscule things that make those books good, unfortunately that's what I find looking in his newer books and also after a while I have just got bored of his writing style and ideas. However I must confess to liking The Green Mile a lot and thought it was very well written and on par with his earlier work.
You really need to learn about the power of the full stop and other punctuation. That whole paragraph has left my eyes quite, quite knackered.

cheese_dave said:
F.G.R.X said:
You really need to learn about the power of the full stop and other punctuation. That whole paragraph has left my eyes quite, quite knackered.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cheese-dave, Grammar Nazi

I do get a bit anal about such things :roll:

I could go to town on peoples's's's' use and misuse of apostrophe's's', but if I make a mistake myself you'll all be over me like a rash.

I hate that too and using the wrong spelling of words for a certair situation, i.e. course, coarse, bear, bare, there, their, they're etc.

I also hate mispronunciations of words like Sandwich (sammich, sangwidge) and mine, my one (mines).

Gah

Regrettably I am generally extremley anal about such things as well; however whilst in work on the sly, with a browser window as wide as one line of text it makes it somewhat difficult to monitor and amend my grammar, as such errors do occur. It doesn't help I suffer from verbal diarrhoea and vocabulary spills out of me at a rate with which my fingers can only just about keep up with the words...let alone grammar.

However I digress, when such time is available to me I shall endeavour to ensure that such grammar and vocabulary exist in perfect harmonious balance. If I had a chance to read what I had written, likely the lack of grammar would infuriate me also being a pet peeve of mine, much akin to people not enunnciating letters e.g. Ts; buter - no buTTer you fool, it has 2 Ts.

I do realise there is a preview button available prior to posting, after being shamed so I shall ensure to use it before publishing posts in future

P.S.

For those of you wondering what kind of crap place I work in to have fear of being spotted on the internet that warrants such a small internet window, you are indeed correct - it is a crap place, filled with people who have nothig better to do than try to shop other people who appear to be on 'personal' websites...

Back
Top Bottom