Horsemeat

I meant to add, I would too. I did see an article on one of Gordon Ramsay's shows where a guy was trying horse milk, which seemed all kindsa wrong for some reason, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

But yeah, horsemeat properly butchered and with good provenance, I don't see why not.

I once stayed in a hotel in Boulogne that was directly opposite a Boucherie Chevaline.
When my wife asked me what it meant I told her that the proprietor's name was Chevaline, knowing that if I had told her the truth she would have been across the road with a baseball bat before I had even finished speaking.

Im the same as you hm. Funny that we turn our noses up at the milk though. When I think about a horse steak, in my mind its absolutely huge, like just a slice of horse.

I first encountered it on a walking holiday in Switzerland. Me & my mate were climbing an Alp and after we pulled ourselves on to the summit with our fingernails, we spotted the usual cafe atop the Alp next to the train station.

My mate said "Great! I could eat a horse!" and we headed in. The menu was produced and there was no English version, so since I spoke/read some French & German it was left to me to order... as I read down the menu, I saw something along the lines of "Filet de cheval" and thought "I could go for that" so ordered it and he ordered the same, knowing I wasn't one for fussy food or anything wildly adventurous.

It duly arrived, we ate it and were just relaxing afterwards and I said to him:
"you know you said you could eat a horse...?"
"ye-e-e-s-s-s?"
"you just did"

He jumped up and I thought he was going to throw himself off the Alp, but he just made a long call on the Great White Telephone. From then on he never trusted a single thing I recommended for ages.

Things that happen to you in restaurants, eh? Me and good mate I'd known for years went to some place one lunch time. "Table for two, and we're not gay", I quipped to the waitress. We sat down, got menus, he said, "you know what you just said?"

Turns out he was gay, and he'd picked that day to come out to me. Did I feel like a horse's ass or what.

Unfortunately horse's ass wasn't on the menu.

All of the above is true.

I had some salami made with trigger parts once, it could have been donkey though...perfectly fine.

I suspect though we may have inadvertently eaten horse before the laws were tightened up.

What is fillet de horse like?

cheese_dave said:
Me and good mate I'd known for years went to some place one lunch time. "Table for two, and we're not gay", I quipped to the waitress. We sat down, got menus, he said, "you know what you just said?"

Turns out he was gay, and he'd picked that day to come out to me. Did I feel like a horse's ass or what.

Ahhhh you couldn't even write stuff that great.

It was an odd conversation.

"Why are you telling me this? Do you fancy me?"
"No!"
"Why not?? What's wrong with me?"
"You're not my type."

etc.

I have no problem with the idea of eating whatever animal, to me there is no difference between the morals of eating any animal horse, deer, cow, boar etc. While on holiday in Kenya a couple of decades ago I ate wildebeest and (apparently) zebra. And while a little gamier than beef they were both similar.

cheese_dave said:

At the end of the day, he's still your bud its just you know something about him you didn't previously. A couple of my friends from my early 20's are of that persuasion, and every so often I'd go drinking with them, never had any worries about heading into gay bars. It was amazing the people I saw in them that I knew, and who would come up and say "I didn't know...." and I'd politely explain that actually I was out with my 2 mates that are but that I'm not. My standard response was well they come with me to straight bars so why shouldn't I come into a gay one with them?

It was funny though when we went out as they had sooooooo many female friends and we would generally end up with a group of girls that would assume I was also gay, and sometimes one would try to "turn" me. Eventually one of us would drop into conversation that I'm straight and the change in body language from the girls would be phenomenal as I was no longer regarded as "safe".

Thanks guys. I was about to come out on this forum and now Dave's gone and ruined it. So. My "announcement" will have to wait.

On a more serious note, horse is a common ingredient in Norwegian salami - it's mainly lamb, with some pork, horse and goat as well. Which make me think of an explosion on a farm, with bits of all sorts of animal flying everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom