Henson de razor

@Wayners
Two versions.
Original V1.
Newer V2, with revised slots and minor changes.
Increased grip
The overall diameter of the handle has been increased by 0.010”. Also, the textured portions of the handle have been made more pronounced. Both of these changes improve overall grip and handling of the razor.

Reshaped channels
The lather channels in the baseplate have been reshaped and the centre webs of the lather slots have removed, resulting in improved hair and lather evacuation.

Softened edges and added bevels
The edges of the baseplate and top cap have been softened in an effort to reduce any unwanted sharpness from the outer edges and corners of the razor head. Also, a large bevel has been added to the outer corners of the razor head. These changes improve comfort, control, and precision during shaving, especially when maneuvering around obstacles, such as next to the nose and mouth.

Removed end posts
The small posts at the ends of the blade gap have been removed from the baseplate. One resulting benefit of this is that the very ends of the razor blades edge are able to perform better. Also, since the shape of the lather channel is now completely through the razor head, rinsing of the razor is improved.

Added razor head grip
Indents have been added at the ends of the razor head to assist with gripping the head for assembly and disassembly for blade changes, cleaning, etc.

Chip groove
A small notch has been added to the top of the top cap threaded post to help keep the threads clean and free of debris.

For each, AL13 in aluminium has 3 models:
Mild
Medium
Aggressive

TI22 in titanium, same 3 models V2.
http://www.ilrasoio.com/viewtopic.php?t=17377

IMHE, the models have misleading names.
(Very) Mild
Medium (Mild)
(Medium) Aggressive

Axghi57.jpg

Last edited:
Ok.

There is 3 then.
I'd like to try one. Probably medium. Was one here on sale but I could not buy it at the moment.
Well I could if I really wanted to like I could buy anything, but I've been riding on savings so I'm prioritising.
Hanson or tile id love to try though.

Of course the Henson razor has got no soul, it's a razor!
Just as a tub of soap has got no soul, it's a tub of soap!
The Henson razor is a very well engineered shaving tool, a razor
It's very good at doing what it was designed to do, remove stubble from your face or any part of your body with ease.
It's true that you would have to do something incredibly stupid for this razor to bite you, this does not make it a bad razor, just a well designed one! :)

Paul.

Hensons are great razors, and an ideal daily driver. The chart is misleading, as I’m not sure the Henson medium would be much good at mowing 3-4 days growth, and as for the aggressive cutting down 7-10 days growth? Well, good luck with that…. I do think the one downside, apart from them not being great at cutting down several days worth of growth, is how the price of these has escalated. They’re still great razors, but much more of an investment than they used to be.

Hensons are great razors, and an ideal daily driver. The chart is misleading, as I’m not sure the Henson medium would be much good at mowing 3-4 days growth, and as for the aggressive cutting down 7-10 days growth? Well, good luck with that…. I do think the one downside, apart from them not being great at cutting down several days worth of growth, is how the price of these has escalated. They’re still great razors, but much more of an investment than they used to be.
I don't have experience with a henson. I've been looking at getting one. I can safely and easily remove almost a weeks growth with a Muhle R89 or Merkur 34. Although I usually shave daily. Would you say the Henson is still milder than those?

I don't have experience with a henson. I've been looking at getting one. I can safely and easily remove almost a weeks growth with a Muhle R89 or Merkur 34. Although I usually shave daily. Would you say the Henson is still milder than those?
You should be okay then, as the Henson medium isn’t as mild as the Muhle R89 (not tried the Merkur 34 or the Henson mild, which I understand isn’t too much different from the medium version but not quite as close a shave), though your chances of getting any nicks or razor burn is next to zero and the shave you get is definitely closer than the R89. I like the R89, but the Henson definitely gives a better shave.

I recently got a Henson V2 Mild on a trade with an Executive Shaving Outlaw. I still have the outlaw Mild, which is my favourite razor. I only have a few.
I've only used the Henson once (this morning). I can see exactly what @Boycie83 is on about with the drag and no soul. I get a similar drag when I have to use a cartridge (hand luggage only flights). I have a theory on that, but not sure how to put it in words just yet. I think the amount of flat surface in contact with the skin.
About the lack of soul, I can put this down to how something feels when you use it. Some shave items make the shave less of a chore and more enjoyable. The Henson gets the job done, well, yet (so far) not as enjoyable as other razors. Perhaps as I get more comfortable using it, that will go a little. I much prefer it over some of the vintage Gillettes I have, and sold. It does remind me of those yellow disposable big razors, just not disposable.

I recently got a Henson V2 Mild on a trade with an Executive Shaving Outlaw. I still have the outlaw Mild, which is my favourite razor. I only have a few.
I've only used the Henson once (this morning). I can see exactly what @Boycie83 is on about with the drag and no soul. I get a similar drag when I have to use a cartridge (hand luggage only flights). I have a theory on that, but not sure how to put it in words just yet. I think the amount of flat surface in contact with the skin.
About the lack of soul, I can put this down to how something feels when you use it. Some shave items make the shave less of a chore and more enjoyable. The Henson gets the job done, well, yet (so far) not as enjoyable as other razors. Perhaps as I get more comfortable using it, that will go a little. I much prefer it over some of the vintage Gillettes I have, and sold. It does remind me of those yellow disposable big razors, just not disposable.
I suspect that a lot of forum denizens actually like their razors to be a little fussy in some way, but Henson razors are 'boring' because the design is such that it just works with hardly any learning curve because it even has an angle guide.
It's just a get the job done and get on with life sort of razor. Which is exactly why I have a few of them around (v1 ++ and +++ and v2 +++), although the +++ (a.k.a "aggressive") can be a little more demanding.

I haven't experienced any drag from mine, but I'm curious about the comparison to drag in carts. I've experienced some tugging from the non-leading blades in carts, but no drag there either (even when I yanked the 'lubrastrip' out).
What carts were those you experienced the drag with?

I suspect that a lot of forum denizens actually like their razors to be a little fussy in some way, but Henson razors are 'boring' because the design is such that it just works with hardly any learning curve because it even has an angle guide.
It's just a get the job done and get on with life sort of razor. Which is exactly why I have a few of them around (v1 ++ and +++ and v2 +++), although the +++ (a.k.a "aggressive") can be a little more demanding.

I haven't experienced any drag from mine, but I'm curious about the comparison to drag in carts. I've experienced some tugging from the non-leading blades in carts, but no drag there either (even when I yanked the 'lubrastrip' out).
What carts were those you experienced the drag with?
Perhaps drag is the wrong word, it's more like a little suction. I think I have gillette mach something or other cart. It was free not in a box, hence the vagueness.

Back
Top Bottom