HALF-DE Blade SE Razors - Favourites, or otherwise?

I get on OK with the Yaqi Katana. I prefer it on a longer handle, currently on one of those Lord aluminium handles. Nice, shaves well, get about 3 days from a blade. A bit of a fiddle to load and must be checked that it isn't on the wonk.
I really like the Razorock Eco. Again on a longer handle, Maggard MR18. Easier to load than the Yaqi. Works best for me riding the guard. Head's a bit big, but still liked it so much I got a backup.
The Focus R48 (first version) I don't get on with so well. I find it "trips up" and I'm left just trying to shave with the back side of the head.
The Parker SR1 shavette is like Russian roulette. 5 wonderful shaves and one day of face slashed so bad the white towel goes red.
I've got an eBay special "BigBoss" half-DE TTO Verdict? DON'T! Only razor I've ever not finished a shave with.
And a Gillette New that's been ground down to a half DE razor. (I bought it for the CommonBar handle.) Shaves like a Gillette New (!) riding the cap; so, different to the Eco and the Yaqi. A bit more fiddly to load than the Eco, but better than the Yaqi. I've got it on a Gillette "Old Type" MiLady handle, and it looks ridiculously cute. (The Old Type head got a RazorEmporium handle.)
FWIW I reckon I like razors towards the mild end. Overall, I've used the Eco the most, and use it as my test razor for different makes of blades.

For loading the Yaqi, I don't undo the head ... I just loosen it a little, drop the blade in and tighten it back up with a little jiggle to ensure the blade is in straight. Works for the two that I have.
I have a Yaqi model: SRH041-C half blade, head only. Like you, I see no advantage in taking the head apart to change the blade. By the time I've re-assembled it the blade is dangerously off-true. Slipping the blade in is easier because I'm in control and can see what is happening.
There are two blips of metal at the corners to hold the blade in place, but not tall enough to be effective.
I like shaving with the razor, I don't like changing the blade. I have a DE razor like that as well.

Yaqi half blade head

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 01-25-51 7.95£ Yaqi Single Edge Chrome Color Safety Razor Head - Razo...png

I get on OK with the Yaqi Katana. I prefer it on a longer handle, currently on one of those Lord aluminium handles. Nice, shaves well, get about 3 days from a blade. A bit of a fiddle to load and must be checked that it isn't on the wonk.
I really like the Razorock Eco. Again on a longer handle, Maggard MR18. Easier to load than the Yaqi. Works best for me riding the guard. Head's a bit big, but still liked it so much I got a backup.
The Focus R48 (first version) I don't get on with so well. I find it "trips up" and I'm left just trying to shave with the back side of the head.
The Parker SR1 shavette is like Russian roulette. 5 wonderful shaves and one day of face slashed so bad the white towel goes red.
I've got an eBay special "BigBoss" half-DE TTO Verdict? DON'T! Only razor I've ever not finished a shave with.
And a Gillette New that's been ground down to a half DE razor. (I bought it for the CommonBar handle.) Shaves like a Gillette New (!) riding the cap; so, different to the Eco and the Yaqi. A bit more fiddly to load than the Eco, but better than the Yaqi. I've got it on a Gillette "Old Type" MiLady handle, and it looks ridiculously cute. (The Old Type head got a RazorEmporium handle.)
FWIW I reckon I like razors towards the mild end. Overall, I've used the Eco the most, and use it as my test razor for different makes of blades.
I like the sound of a half blade TTO. I can't find it on ebay. Any chance of a link?

Was it one of these things @Rufty?

AMWts8D6p6B67D6TU6EcEbcYxhey0DALuEV8VwqsN15Qyes36uTaY84qGA56j690iMtKWGBQTUrMnlzPrmoiKrnHr6Du4GLiFNNQhVK4DNGiPNYdxSH6VaWZOUNzounQPBklx2Fd95lqC1NhMm83JYrlCbhWAQ=w800

Yeah, mine went in the bin, too. The plastic case was more fit for use than the razor!

That was a whole DE razor which exposed only one side @Ebberman

Shame, as it looked like it could be a viable modern production of the vintage DDR Golf razor:

DhG0gpkm3sz_l8AQeP9abEyDs20ydW7ptCzdgqXTxV0tFnR3DkEhPSDh5-bCi2D5QrpgwiOukMPZY6dHwyhRvzYz31CIAFciCQ-9lF0Q7CmqPWmBOfBR5wb6hTiZzvOyyCWECeig46QEet6vnixHg5fUv56ecipJIA8guoljnePfKGXheZ8KG-30GI6oa5o4-bPAOzK8Qx0sOfUua27IRWOn63ErWXDJcIDzLv8XMuJvYzZVk6WUGPvGqn8-esqOw7G__hl0lMFOJi-soqoOcW_4UmfuwkuntlqItTaTgwziuKqC1ub-PdTlPNrr6YVj_LYqvwTreftkCQ92K54aVoT0CgVRtYixukKpn1XF8vqPk1QpGdBHgnQ1mSnohTaAHUeoB0xrSaoZclFTWT2bbjhb2GPd6kvAjydMtjf9-lTg0zJVs2qHb-As-EGrLvHOf9cHIxM_QpuBuhY7mBqwE2MqUQnx1HMn9zso1AOm5ZfBvd4Np5NUVcEAbtNhgSmx8zbKuzUTgee5NYsiz6Zpoz00QueFtneQo_LHLqwvapVIKHy1TQ-URWZhlCqoe8IyqFU-ER1qCoJ-Jzo6Fah96u7Gos60ZcQBHa33LPtcmo9PWRVr7o3uM7vHmwn0ns7ciYNDWAN7MzYkD6UHZYPBK4H3ceHinVCfPDNsIAmdavQvpVdyALRSMpzxsw-R5byGocuBDBsN-4bHxLWs3PriNFbJ9En6MUFJxuhp7lWxRagTduIdKF0wENgKr4mS3jyOAVo2JZwDEtPfZvjj9j9Jh3ALwrrgmh4YsswLBGL_81qNHZ3cI95pQfgmhIdg5bBWZAxiDcXgs7d0qE09IITM_Nfh_uY7qnZ3x-KfM1sLP3HU8Kbnr0VLhbMuli1J3wDk0hz3Nlh7iRHc_VsucZbpFiVCWqyC1X3aLPQwxJgRyVFs6A=w800

1XvKTfkhsQjUiH3OAcshDN7-QfsVYVeQZtqN8EqkNjDfM73XIqhCCXCZkCRYduu392Lt31cgm0cRPc24E1sv3VsDYTWMfVzWar_FV4LMIO5kjxaw-7aAfBlb-6ggSba_vp3wOuxTsIUDO3yQMzdF7vb8JORcigygeZwoPkaxNuzn7gcfFixVR0MDBoE2ww83QIh3Ip1Kfwsfmon-grr4tToaxl8ogTCCdn6A2K23TjmrxmB5QVlj1xrFtZZ3Sl1cQ8XBt64SkPlCeNH_p6y8j3g2IMMKniT8KFC4JxutTT-3pDoAI_TDQBRu7bygZePNcBj2W_RZrB3cznQ7uwSiIM46cwfM_mjsczxVuAbOyHaJvwGsrzCVBust-IpLO8eAyw9dl1UdT4gKYVV08DPL-MQvc6Ag_zs8RBLzifT6ZIcVvNFSgMlY9cMdgCgo7dcPYNzw2pFdetPD7xIY6StZnv8feDsFG0KiMmiTAqx9YP_1T9sFbMNAGG5tboCHI0eIZblBRt14DSq6RSIgWgY4DUXqU5a6sQD5VW8kau1YSdMnu2N0zc_40fQfSSdz3yuMsKnBM0eELKF8ChCLnSDV_boyT67QPqE7W2OVfvOgWGYvweoqOgEeYZ4UlVrMietCx9UtPruy-QjHTyZ-LqqN3rl3aByWIafpFhy3vtzmBhIUNrli1oyyxWxu-y61oHXF1HJi3o29ZK1xAb-IrURoMfiUtVJoDdxbHjnQs5pp0PFmzTKWj0WA5N95SUqZJcM6BwzdHV7qcT-ZygIP3KfxnepjlIaEqr2jTPkGo1umhJzCpKNzGjMULN95uwGkW-Gi9VVZo32spH_I2P1yVr1GWQ-Ar_Ut8SC0nAMNNx0F8zuTqtGdnyC57Y_pchOqc62_EKmVy9T_Wz3bOIZA1RZ7SYnmtgJeLEi7xrfuMLKGZ3z4Eg=w800

For those who have one, is anyone still showing his MARS razor love and attention? I'm just coming round to using mine again, on 8 with a half-DE, and I still think it's one of the best razors of this type.

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here, this is just my opinion, please just take it as that and not an attack on you guys who like these razors.
I have never seen the point of using a half DE blade and these razors, there are many SE razors on the market that use better blades such as Gem, Artist club and injector blade's which are thicker and more ridged.
I can see these half bladed razor's as being a gateway razor to the SE razors and blades that I have mentioned above and if this follows then I suppose they are good for that.
Please remember that this is just my opinion.
Thank you if you have read this far.

Paul.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here, this is just my opinion, please just take it as that and not an attack on you guys who like these razors.
I have never seen the point of using a half DE blade and these razors, there are many SE razors on the market that use better blades such as Gem, Artist club and injector blade's which are thicker and more ridged.
I can see these half bladed razor's as being a gateway razor to the SE razors and blades that I have mentioned above and if this follows then I suppose they are good for that.
Please remember that this is just my opinion.
Thank you if you have read this far.

Paul.
I tend to agree with you in some respects. I've always thought that these were or are novelty items, somewhat akin to the unbluntable knives and unbreakable china that the salesmen on markets and at agricultural shows demonstrated and then tried to sell to their open-mouthed audiences.

I find a couple on the dangerous side, and for me the blades are usually kaput after one or at most two uses. The loading, whilst improved on many, is often rather fiddly and not time well-spent. After satisfying my curiosity, their main use for me is to use up odd blades that I don't usually get on with, which probably explains why I don't expect or get much performance. I have no aspirations to own any of the multi-half-DE blade models.

Certainly the Gem, AC and injector razors, both vintage and modern, are far more to my taste, shave well and have a decent blade life.

Turning to the MARS, which we are discussing in the 1/2 DE mode, I find that it surpasses any of the other razors of this type that I own in that mode. It shaves better, and the multi-setting blade trays allow for fine-tuning. As a razor using injector blades, it performs equally well in that role; again with the ability to vary the shave by the trays or plates (up to 10 different, as I recall). The inventor, Rob Burns, was considering the development of an AC model, but as no more has been heard of that, I suspect it's been shelved. I don't think the present types have achieved the market or recognition that was hoped for. That said, I reckon that if it were to manifest itself in a metal form (aluminium onwards), it would be an attractive razor for some, but I suppose the cost would be prohibitive in our present impecunious times.

I tend to agree with you in some respects. I've always thought that these were or are novelty items, somewhat akin to the unbluntable knives and unbreakable china that the salesmen on markets and at agricultural shows demonstrated and then tried to sell to their open-mouthed audiences.

I find a couple on the dangerous side, and for me the blades are usually kaput after one or at most two uses. The loading, whilst improved on many, is often rather fiddly and not time well-spent. After satisfying my curiosity, their main use for me is to use up odd blades that I don't usually get on with, which probably explains why I don't expect or get much performance. I have no aspirations to own any of the multi-half-DE blade models.

Certainly the Gem, AC and injector razors, both vintage and modern, are far more to my taste, shave well and have a decent blade life.

Turning to the MARS, which we are discussing in the 1/2 DE mode, I find that it surpasses any of the other razors of this type that I own in that mode. It shaves better, and the multi-setting blade trays allow for fine-tuning. As a razor using injector blades, it performs equally well in that role; again with the ability to vary the shave by the trays or plates (up to 10 different, as I recall). The inventor, Rob Burns, was considering the development of an AC model, but as no more has been heard of that, I suspect it's been shelved. I don't think the present types have achieved the market or recognition that was hoped for. That said, I reckon that if it were to manifest itself in a metal form (aluminium onwards), it would be an attractive razor for some, but I suppose the cost would be prohibitive in our present impecunious times.
I thank you for your response, if folk like using them that's all good but they are not for me for the reasons given in the above post.
That's the great thing about choice, we all have it. :)

Paul.

@Blademonkey For me, the reason is blade variety available, and that GEM and AC blade razors tend to be a bit chunky (other than e.g. the Vector).
I suspect that they might also be popular in countries where GEM, AC and injector blades aren't as readily available as in the UK and North America.

Back
Top Bottom