HALF-DE Blade SE Razors - Favourites, or otherwise?

I like the SE with half DE blade (SHaDE).
Smooth, light and efficient, I suggest the Razorock Eco.
nE8zIA3.jpg

The aggressive variant, use Cobbled geometry (SCHaDE) as the Yaqi.
Three variations ... on the lightness theme, to tame the beast.
IMHE, all the ones are very enjoyable.

Super light, with plastic handle: Tuxedo Globe Trotter
HzD1CXg.jpeg

Light, with medium aluminium handle: Katana Light
HgxGTV8.jpeg

Medium Light, with heavier aluminum handle: Black Katana
wKgBQJz.jpeg

I found the Yaqi Katana to be far too aggressive, but you rate yours very highly. I think I should give mine another outing to see if I can get better results with it now.
Some blades don't fit in the Katana well, bending along the edge, creating a "smile" like shape.
I am fairly sure I had an earlier version that didn't have the issue, but I was using different blades than I do now. I got rid of that head (or lost it), and then later bought it again,, which was when I noticed the issue.
It's worth checking if blades in your Katana don't have he same issue.

I only have the one, the Rocnel SE-P. A viscious piece of kit which delivers the closest shaves imaginable....and scares me shitless in the process. A design and manufacturing masterpiece when you see the blade securing arrangement.

20221216_133949.jpg

I've always been sceptical about half blade SE razors and can't say I have a particular love for them. Except the Rocnel, because it has intrigue value and an ability to achieve silliness

I only have the one, the Rocnel SE-P. A viscious piece of kit which delivers the closest shaves imaginable....and scares me shitless in the process. A design and manufacturing masterpiece when you see the blade securing arrangement.

View attachment 99975

I've always been sceptical about half blade SE razors and can't say I have a particular love for them. Except the Rocnel, because it has intrigue value and an ability to achieve silliness
With my SE-P, I always feel that the danger lies in the way the blade corners sit. With the amount of space between the top and the bar, the blade corners are "out there", especially if the blade isn't exactly centred. Also, not all blades are exactly the same dimensions, and that compounds the potential problem. I've been considering cutting off the corners so that the ends of the blade lie further within the razor, rather than being right up to the sides.

With my SE-P, I always feel that the danger lies in the way the blade corners sit. With the amount of space between the top and the bar, the blade corners are "out there", especially if the blade isn't exactly centred. Also, not all blades are exactly the same dimensions, and that compounds the potential problem. I've been considering cutting off the corners so that the ends of the blade lie further within the razor, rather than being right up to the sides.

I do find blade loading a bit of a faff. What I tend to do is snap one tab off, then carefully push the other tab a little further than necessary and then snap the other off. Then push the blade across further in than the end. Not easy as the snap point tends to curl up which makes things even more dodgy. Then as you say the risky business of aligning. Need long finger nails to pull it off.

Perhaps the longest blade loading procedure I know of.

Once there, fantastic. The only razor I never take the blade out of until it is spent. If you can get blade past three shaves then kudos given.

I do find blade loading a bit of a faff. What I tend to do is snap one tab off, then carefully push the other tab a little further than necessary and then snap the other off. Then push the blade across further in than the end. Not easy as the snap point tends to curl up which makes things even more dodgy. Then as you say the risky business of aligning. Need long finger nails to pull it off.

Perhaps the longest blade loading procedure I know of.

Once there, fantastic. The only razor I never take the blade out of until it is spent. If you can get blade past three shaves then kudos given.
I'll try that. It's about the only razor other than old "dog dressers" that benefit from a pair of pliers at loading.

I find it almost impossible to use a 1/2 DE for more than 2 days before it gives up on me.

Hmmm, the SE-P is available again, but I have two of them, so I reckon I'm alright.
Oddly, I always found it rather mild, thought I agree with @Ferrum about the blade corner, as they protrude slightly to the sides.

Having said that, if the blade is centered well, when I break the tabs off, there's this small point on each side of the blade left that I can use to nudge the blade out and fully seat it back in using my nails, and it's hasn't really been very faffy.

I find the rarer SE-P OC to be more aggressive... there's just a fair bit more blade exposure. Still, a very decent shaver.

Hmmm, the SE-P is available again, but I have two of them, so I reckon I'm alright.
Oddly, I always found it rather mild, thought I agree with @Ferrum about the blade corner, as they protrude slightly to the sides.

Having said that, if the blade is centered well, when I break the tabs off, there's this small point on each side of the blade left that I can use to nudge the blade out and fully seat it back in using my nails, and it's hasn't really been very faffy.

I find the rarer SE-P OC to be more aggressive... there's just a fair bit more blade exposure. Still, a very decent shaver.
Just because it's still there and makes me chuckle,
How not to use the SE-P

Another day on MARS, and this thing really works for me.

Being a Suffolk skinflint, the opportunity to use up some of my horrible, mistaken DE blade purchases is very dear to me. That being so, I'm surprised that these razors can work quite well with some very ersatz blades, but the leader in this is MARS. I can even get a decent shave out of a "The Gentleman" blade.

Whilst the plastic-printed MARS is just fine, I must say that I would love it in a metal version. I guess it would have to be MIM or metal printing (like the Blackland that came and went), and titanium would be nice. One can but dream...

Another day on MARS, and this thing really works for me.

Being a Suffolk skinflint, the opportunity to use up some of my horrible, mistaken DE blade purchases is very dear to me. That being so, I'm surprised that these razors can work quite well with some very ersatz blades, but the leader in this is MARS. I can even get a decent shave out of a "The Gentleman" blade.

Whilst the plastic-printed MARS is just fine, I must say that I would love it in a metal version. I guess it would have to be MIM or metal printing (like the Blackland that came and went), and titanium would be nice. One can but dream...
I'm sure I can help you with disposal of some of your unwanted DE blades... :-D

Back
Top Bottom