HALF-DE Blade SE Razors - Favourites, or otherwise?

With the exception of the "Leaf" type multi-blade razors, I've used several of the new models of SE razors, designed to use a single halved double-edge blade. After a spell of other razor types, I've made a point of using, as my SEs, only the 1/2 DE types. These are the Focus Dynamic, Rocnel SE-P, Twig (Leaf), and the MARS.

Of these, I've found that the MARS, with a full set of plates (as well as a full set for injector blades, but that's another story) comes out well-ahead on performance, whilst the Leaf is the easiest to load. In my hands, the Focus swivel head brings nothing to the party, and I find the fixed heads far easier to use

I know there are other razors out there such as the Broman, and probably 101 Far Eastern offerings.

I'm interested to know which of these particular razor type are well-regarded by others, and, more especially, if there are some that I might consider in the future.

With the exception of the "Leaf" type multi-blade razors, I've used several of the new models of SE razors, designed to use a single halved double-edge blade. After a spell of other razor types, I've made a point of using, as my SEs, only the 1/2 DE types. These are the Focus Dynamic, Rocnel SE-P, Twig (Leaf), and the MARS.

Of these, I've found that the MARS, with a full set of plates (as well as a full set for injector blades, but that's another story) comes out well-ahead on performance, whilst the Leaf is the easiest to load. In my hands, the Focus swivel head brings nothing to the party, and I find the fixed heads far easier to use

I know there are other razors out there such as the Broman, and probably 101 Far Eastern offerings.

I'm interested to know which of these particular razor type are well-regarded by others, and, more especially, if there are some that I might consider in the future.
Broman 2 is available on order but don't think any reviews as delivery is march or may according to their website

High proof razor looks promising,
Most reviews look good but the groomsmen YouTube channel did three vids on it, check it out

I'm not sure what to think yet on the high proof razor

Think there's a razorock SE which takes half de blades, don't remember the name

This is a genuine question, I'm not being obtuse.
What is the appeal of single edge razors that use double edge blades? Is it just having a new and interesting way of doing things (which is fine) or are there any advantages over double edge razors?

I know shavettes use half a DE blade but they are mimicking the straight razor.
Hsitorically there have been plenty of single edge razors but they used the thick single edge blades.

I can't knock the aesthetics of some of these razors you mentioned above and am interested in them.

What is the appeal of single edge razors that use double edge blades? Is it just having a new and interesting way of doing things (which is fine) or are there any advantages over double edge razors?

Hsitorically there have been plenty of single edge razors but they used the thick single edge blades.

I can't knock the aesthetics of some of these razors you mentioned above and am interested in them.
The razors with the pivots may be more attractive to the general public who use cartridges with a pivot and generally speaking....most of them have a slimmer head profile which makes them easier to use on the upper lip.

I'd mirror what @culcreuch said. I have the 'Leaf Leaf' (what's the proper name for it, given that there's a Leaf Twig and a Leaf Thorn?). I've also bought a High Proof and ordered a Broman 2. These are all pivoting 1/2 DE razors bought with the intention of making it quick and easy to shave my head. So far I've only used the Leaf, but I intend to compare them all. When I first used the Leaf last year I was extremely inexperienced with any kind of DE blade shaving and found the Leaf completely easy and foolproof. I shaved my head for the first time without a hitch.

The reason I didn't stop at the Leaf and bought the others too is that I intend to encourage the rest of my family, including youngsters when they wish to shave, to try using them. The aim is to limit the use of disposables and cartridge blades, and the waste which is more inherent with those.

After reading your post, I think I might just put that razor away again! You like your razors more on the efficient side of things too from what I remember.
I think I like mid aggression but all depends really

Every razors different for example the medium Henson feels more high end mild then medium to me, maybe it's the blade and hair growth I'm dealing with too?

I never found the Eco comfortable. On the other hand....ride the cap with the Katana and a comfortable R41 type result (for me) awaits!
R41 is one of the most comfortable razors

Some razor I just know I won't get on with that's why I hardly used the Yaqi katana, another example is that D's cosmetics r41 SS knock off, didn't like that

Comfort is important as aggression for me tbh

Back
Top Bottom