Gut 2.2 Palmolive

antdad said:
This has been asked before but I can't remember if there is a notable difference between Palmolive sticks and what GUT 2.2 means.

I've not used one of those Palmolive sticks that lists tallow as its 3rd ingredient (and have no burning desire to do so) but no-one has posted any reviews to say there's any difference yet. Most people are still using the 'tallow listed twice' sticks but the others are showing up here and there . . . ebay.

Re the 2.2 thing. Wasn't it a rating from something like 'which' magazine?

I put a translation of the test up somewhere, I will have a look and see if I can find it.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=8&t=432</a><!-- l -->

Egads, they've reformulated it?!

I'm dead serious here, I had a nightmare about this the other night. I was overcome with fear and ended up buying cases of them off the internet.

And thus the prophecy comes true...

Anyone know how widely available the old formula is?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130000&highlight=palmolive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... =palmolive</a><!-- m -->

henkverhaar said:
palmitate + stearate = tallowate

Well, almost.
I feel that with some veggie sticks like La Toja and Lea ,which contains sodium and potasium palmitates and cocoates ,performs the same as Palmolive, Valobra and Arko (the 3 of them contains tallow) a nose behind the Wilkinson(the lanolin makes the difference).But my fav one is still the Erasmic with Tallow!!!BRILLIANT ONE!Thanks Pete! :p

henkverhaar said:

Well, almost.

Henk, are you saying that when ingredients are labelled Potassium palmate and Potassium stearate is almost as good as saying Potassium Tallowate?

I acquired a new formula Palmolive stick yesterday and had a chance today to sniff them side by side... I perceive that the smell is the same, but less strong on the new one, but I could be wrong of course... not tried actual use yet though, still have the fag end of a Wilkinson Stick occupying my stick holder.

I think that referring to the "new" formula stick as Gut 2.2 is a little misleading.

I currently have about 9 sticks of Palmolive, all with Gut 2.2 on the box and all old formula.

Ian

antdad said:
henkverhaar said:

Well, almost.

Henk, are you saying that when ingredients are labelled Potassium palmate and Potassium stearate is almost as good as saying Potassium Tallowate?

Probably even better. Here's a general overview of the fatty acid composition of tallow (from Wikipedia):

The composition of the fatty acids is typically as follows:

Saturated fatty acids:
Palmitic acid: 26 %
Stearic acid: 14 %
Myristic acid: 3 %

Monounsaturated fatty acids:
Oleic acid: 47 %
Palmitoleic acid: 3 %

Polyunsaturated fatty acids:
Linoleic acid: 3 %
Linolenic acid: 1 %

Tallow is mainly stearic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid. As far as I'm aware, it's the palmitic acid and stearic acid that make for a good shaving soap, so getting rid of the oleic acid should improve the quality. I don't think there's anything else in tallow that makes it a great shaving soap ingredient, so a combination of palmitc acid and stearic acid (together often labeled 'stearin') should in fact be better than tallow...

Back
Top Bottom