Good value Balms

SlowRain said:
This thread interests me a lot because I'm looking for a good product for after the alum block and before the aftershave (splash).

I've used Taylor of Old Bond Street's Mr. Taylor aftershave gel, and I think it's overpriced and nearly useless. It never soothed my skin, and it left a sticky, pasty film on my face that rolled off into balls like glue when I applied the aftershave. Plus it's expensive.

I'm currently using Gillette Fusion after shave gel and, while I have no love for Gillette, this product works well for me. It isn't greasy, it's affordable, and it's effective. It's my benchmark. The problem is it's been hard to find here recently.

The Body Shop products shown in the first post of this thread interest me the most because some of them--but not all--are available here. They would be my first choice. How effective are The Body Shop's balms compared to others like Gillette Fusion, Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream (both their regular and their sensitive skin formulas), Proraso Aftershave Cream, Speick After Shave Balm, Tabac After Shave Galm, Floid Balm? How soothing are they? How greasy?

That is a sign that you are not rinsing all of the Alum off.
Alum is great stuff but leaving any traces on your face is going to spell trouble for anything that you apply over the top.

Been trying Floid and Speick at the moment.
Both very nice. The Floid has quite a bit of tea tree oil in it which can whiff a bit, its not too overpowering but its there. Goes on nicely, only downside is they use parabens which gives it that sort of "plasticy" feel on your skin for the first few minutes.
The speick is excellent, not parabens, goes on really easily and smells lovely.

Got both of them from Connaught.

jaycey said:
That is a sign that you are not rinsing all of the Alum off.
Alum is great stuff but leaving any traces on your face is going to spell trouble for anything that you apply over the top.

Possibly, but I don't have that problem with the Gillette Fusion after shave gel. I tried the TOBS aftershave gel tonight and had the same problem. Not to mention that it didn't soothe my skin.

Proraso pre/post: not bad but leaves my face a bit sticky.

Floid: beware, scent is nothing like the after shave; not bad as a balm, does a good job but again as I said if you do not get along with the scent it'll be a problem. I have a tube, used twice but in the fridge currently back home ready to be PIFed when I return.

Gillette, etc.: I personally do not like these supermarket balms, although few do a good job, e.g. the Nivea or the L'Oreal MenExpert.

Speick: a good choice, quite soothing, price is good for what you get performance and ingredients-wise.

Tabac: no experience here.

Other recommendations: Bottega Verde red tea, but this one's is relatively hard to get depending on your location; Myrsol Emulsion is a nice choice, slightly more oily compared to Speick or any of the above; designer balms like the Hermes Terre / Prada Infusion / Chanel Allure etc. are very good performance-wise and the fragrances of course are excellent albeit pricey; Institut Karite is another nice balm with rich texture and almost 'milky' scent; AoS balms are quite rich to slightly oily, their scents are fairly close to the SS scents but they cost way too much for what they offer; finally, if you ever want to go top end you have to try either the Santa Maria Novella Emulsione Analcolica or the Pre/Dopo Barba cream again by SMN.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.525101,129.428386

Arko oily cream, contains beeswax and lanolin, provides plenty of moisture:
Arko_classic_creme.jpg

not technically an asb

but i use prorasso pre/post shave cream

it may have cost £20 which works out about £4 for 100ml. its non-greasy which i really like about it

made a fool of myself recently and bought
PRORASO%20PRE-POST%20500ML%20TUB%20XLn%20Logo.png

Boots botanics ASB is not bad, prevents the dry feeling after shaving but doesn't seem to sooth any razor burn and you do have to be careful not to put too much on, too much=greasy face for the rest of the day. Putting an aftershave splash over the top seems to help minimise the chances of greasy face.

Gillette ASB has a nice smell which lasts for some time and has a really refreshing cooling feeling but can also leave your face feeling a little dry not sure whether this is due to putting too much on or not enough, will have to experiment! Gillette aftershave splash artic ice smells good as an everyday splash and works ok with a balm or eben on its own if the shave was problem/irritation free though on its own will dry your face somewhat.

Alt innsbruck pre-post emulsion, I have a sample of this which is by far my best feeling balm. Drys quickly leaving no greasy feeling, soothes the skin and has a great menthol kick which leaves your face feeling awesome and it smeels good to though my wife isn't as keen on the smell. However it also works well with the Alt Innsbruck eau de cologne which although called a cologne seems to work really well as a splash and smells awesome.

Tabac aftershave splash, even though this is an alcohol based splash and not a balm it does quite a good job on its own after the shave and it has a great smell (I also have the deoderant and the shaving soap)!

Back
Top Bottom