Good value Balms

Before I got into this "hobby" of ours, I used to spend £30/40 on balms - Givenchy Gentleman until they stopped doing it, then more recently Floris.

All four of these together cost less than the last Floris Balm I had:

Balms.jpg

And a real pleasure they are.

There are many good balms for less than £10 - I've used up my Tabac which I enjoyed too. I am sure there are many other fair priced balms worth considering.

A good example highlighting the fact that we can, if implementing overwhelming self restraint, achieve a considerable saving when coupled with other price efficient software.

Professor Blightys balms and splashes are very good too. Excellent price for use TSR member.

I need to try the Proraso balm and splash next but just working my way through what I've bought.

Last night I ordered the body shop AS balms. The red one and the green one. I can't remember what the names are!

Lads, lads: this is a forum for stainless steel, brass, chrome, nickel, gold, silver and rhodium.

Super sharp blades, hones, strops, and TTO mechanisms. Vintage hardware and the sting of alcohol on scraped skin.

Tallow and alum and brushes made from animals.

Now I'm not advocating the macho "guns & glory" of Badger & Blade but moisturisers?

The sad thing is I read it and nodded sagely, making mental notes about "absorption", "UV protection" and "all-weather protection."

I think it's time I came out as metrosexual.

And I thought getting into this shaving lark would be more manly... It soon occured to me that we have taken something that was once a simple act of scraping face fuzz off and turned it all poncy...

The shame of it. *Looks at mountain of soaps, creams and moisturisers. Weeps.* :lol:

Lipsy

P.s. Though not "cheap" The Village Barber shaving balm is wonderful stuff... I ordered mine with the 15% discount from Badger & Hone.

I would like to add The Real Shaving Company moisturising balm which can still be picked up in some branches of Poundland for , would you believe £1. A little goes a very long way.

Also if anyone has the good fortune to go to Spain La Toja balm is superb for about 5 euros and can be found in the big supermarkets along with the shaving cream.

Dandy Highwayman said:
I would like to add The Real Shaving Company moisturising balm which can still be picked up in some branches of Poundland for , would you believe £1. A little goes a very long way.

Also if anyone has the good fortune to go to Spain La Toja balm is superb for about 5 euros and can be found in the big supermarkets along with the shaving cream.

+1 on the La Toja balm ! I've noticed that a fair few of the Spanish shaving products I've used over the years, including canned foams, contain allantoin. It's a nice soothing agent which seems to be in common use in their own products. Took me a couple of visits before I discovered that the shaving "stuff" is mostly tucked away in an out of the way shelf in the supermarkets rather than in the pharmacies.

JohnnyO. :shave

Back
Top Bottom