Good riddance to DE shaving!

Don't dis the goo, man.

If Boots still sold Noxzema this forum's membership would be halved.

Leslie145 said:
Got a very nice EJ handled M3 for just those occasions... but the goo? Nah!

I'll definitely agree the nah! to goo - until needs must. Whether I buy a new can when the current one expires in the next squirt or three remains to be seen!

Just can't stand the stuff - always find it clogs the razor no end; if only Original Source made a proper shaving soap

I think I'd say that modern cartridges probably shave too close. They are not sub-par.

That too close a shave was too much for me and after a couple of decades of getting closer and closer, I'd had enough. I have a couple of patches on my face where I have to be careful with a DE. Too close and it goes a little mushy and I risk ingrowers. I get the same with Schicks.

Single edge and straight edge suits me just perfectly. It's not that I don't get a close shave, I just don't get a sub-skin shave.

Tools are tools ... it's how we wield them.

For me, I love the older razors and if I'd not discovered single edge I would have happily remained a DE shaver and still not gone (back) to cartridges.

What a waste of good equipment. You could of got some pocket money back from those to buy yourself a cartridge or two.

This.

Particularly the bit I bolded.

I can get a perfect shave (and do, once a week) with a DE, but it's much slower and more expensive than using a cartridge.

So now I use a cartridge 6 days a week and get a perfect shave to BBS standard in around three minutes (inc face lathering). On Sunday I use my beautiful Futur
with a fresh blade and spend the extra couple of minutes required to get the same standard as with the cartridge. If I get a nick it isn't a problem because the cartridge doesn't keep starting it off again during the week.

The best think I've got from DE shaving is an appreciation of using decent soap and a brush which means that shaving is a pleasure rather than just a necessary chore. I've also had a lot of fun making my own soaps with all sorts of interesting scent combinations.