Good riddance to DE shaving!

Re: RE: Good riddance to DE shaving!

Canuck said:
I pay about 1 pound per cartridge for Sensors. Maybe he's using the Supermax carts from pound shops or whatever the Dutch equivalent of a pound shop is? The Supermax are very cheap carts.

I've always wanted to try those Indian single blade carts by Gillette, they look kinda interesting too, in a minimalist way.

EDIT; Way too slow!

have you tried the feather carts?

i prefer single edge razors but ill still occationally use de etc.

don't moan but occationally ill use an electric while half asleep before finishing with cjb.

ive yet to try an injector though

Right. Pulled the trigger on a handle plus 6 heads for £1.99 and £1.99 posted. The other offer I'd seen before is no longer available. You can buy from India, but it'll take some time to come. I thought Forira, Foria, something like that sold them ... s/he sells a lot of gear sourced from India sold from a UK address.

Gillette Guard is one of the top 5 razors I've ever used.

It won't shave you close enough for a night's dancing at the Palais, but it is unbeatable on a few days growth.

This is quite a fun thread I daresay :)

I'm a fairly recent convert to DE shaving and so the Gillette Fusion Power or whatever it is called is relegated to the hand luggage kit. I find that a single cart is fine for a week's trip, but it really is a case of diminishing returns. And boy are those carts expensive (that said, I know that there are cheaper alternatives out that). The one thing that I will say for the carts I have used is that they are consistent and predictable compared to DE blades, where sometimes you get a dodgy one, and they are also forgiving to the bleary (bloodshot?) eyed traveler.

Andrew1001 said:
This is quite a fun thread I daresay :)

I'm a fairly recent convert to DE shaving and so the Gillette Fusion Power or whatever it is called is relegated to the hand luggage kit. I find that a single cart is fine for a week's trip, but it really is a case of diminishing returns. And boy are those carts expensive (that said, I know that there are cheaper alternatives out that). The one thing that I will say for the carts I have used is that they are consistent and predictable compared to DE blades, where sometimes you get a dodgy one, and they are also forgiving to the bleary (bloodshot?) eyed traveler.

depends on the de blades you use, some brands and a lot more renowned for lack of qc than others.

I have never come acrros a bad feather in my feather ss clone for example

That is true Shanky - the Feathers are pretty good. I'm still a relative newbie, so working my way through the blade sample and some of the DE blades are more consistent. But the BICs, and Sharks seem to give me a good shave one blade and not the next. Could be down to user error of course, but I guess the other point to make is that the cartridge blades are forgiving and thus rather accessible. I won't be going back to carts, but they are a part of my shaving arsenal.

Andrew1001 said:
That is true Shanky - the Feathers are pretty good. I'm still a relative newbie, so working my way through the blade sample and some of the DE blades are more consistent. But the BICs, and Sharks seem to give me a good shave one blade and not the next. Could be down to user error of course, but I guess the other point to make is that the cartridge blades are forgiving and thus rather accessible. I won't be going back to carts, but they are a part of my shaving arsenal.

try astra green's I quite like them from tike to time

I have just stumbled upon this post and found it very interesting; I also tried and failed miserably with DE shaving. I tried for 2/3 months using a R41TWIST MÜHLE TRADITIONAL Chrome 'Twist' Safety Razor (Open Comb) and was forever getting cuts etc and really found it near on impossible to get to the difficult to shave areas (under the nose and just within the nose) with a DE shave and so I went back to cartridge razors. I also found the whole process of DE shaving too long winded and prefer getting my shaves done as quickly as possible (I appreciate that many people love the paraphernalia that goes hand in hand with DE shaving and spending quite a lot of time and view the whole process more of a hobby, whereas I see shaving similar to having a shower and washing my hair, ie to get these ablutions over with as quickly as possible; everyone to their own!). I also realise that some posters genuinely love trying out many DE shaving options, including different razors, blades, soaps, brushes, general preparations and after toners etc to establish their particular holy grail of DE or single blade shaving and the very best of luck to them in their quest.

As others contributors may realise, I have never found anything comparable to the original Gillette Sensor (not the Excel) for a very good no nonsense shave as this razor had a very small head and from what I can remember had none (or minimal) of the unnecessary (in my opinion) rubber or lubrication strips, which make many cartridge razors rather cumbersome.

Back
Top Bottom